Skip to content

Josh Scowen

I must admit his resigning did not over excite me, for the reasons that we already had two decent holding midfielders in Thompson and Gape. And as much as I admired Josh's combative style in his first spell, I thought after speaking to both QPR and Sunderland supporters, I suspected his career was on the wane.
How wrong I was, Josh seems to have gained half a yard in pace, the way he 'nips in and zips in, to regain possession has been outstanding so far.
He has always reminded me of Michael Simpson, but his performances so far this season, have even exceeded the levels Simmo's performances reached.
It's so reassuring when you have someone like Josh patrolling in midfielder, ready to sniff out any danger.
Long may it continue.

Comments

• Agreed. It’s the way he reads the game and anticipates the opponent’s move or pass that makes his break up play so impressive at this level. And he is constructive as well as destructive with build up play. Future captain IMO.

• A bit of a throwback, can attack and defend, really hard worker, if anything seems stronger and better on the ball than when he left. Can't comment on how well he did away but I remember being gutted when he left, sometimes just putting on a shirt you were comfortable in for a manager who rates and understands you can do a lot.

• Josh was one of my favourite players in his first spell and he has added so much more to his game since then. He is Championship quality and will be a major asset to us this season. An 8 or 9 out of 10 in every game he plays.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • POTY at this level almost always is going to go to top scorers and assisters. Not enough people get to see what players like Scowen do week in, week out. The headline numbers and the highlight reels do the talking.

• @fame_46 said:

@JohnBoy said:
    POTY at this level almost always is going to go to top scorers and assisters. Not enough people get to see what players like Scowen do week in, week out. The headline numbers and the highlight reels do the talking.

Exactly, hence we would probably have to win the league for Josh to be in with a shout. If we did win the league I'd be confident he would be in the running at that point as it unlikely we will have an Ivan Toney or Clarke-Harris who will have 30 goals to thier name.

Winning the league if at all possible would be great, the awards are fairly meaningless

• edited August 2021

Keep on like this and he should win our POTS award, but players like that barely ever win the PFA ones. Kanté is the only example I can think of.

• I have followed Josh since he first came into the team having been recalled from his loan spell at £££££. For me he is the best signing of the season. I would also say he is my player of the season in waiting.

• Eastbourne United.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Keep on like this and he should win our POTS award, but players like that barely ever win the PFA ones. Kanté is the only example I can think of.

Didn't Curtis Thompson win the other year?

• edited August 2021

@eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Didn't Curtis Thompson win the other year?

I mean the overall award for the league. But yeah, I think he won our players' or fans' one (maybe even both) in 2018/19?

• Ah, ok.....fair point then

• Love JJ but that's generous if based on last night

• Yeah... WhoScored ratings are BS.

• @StrongestTeam said:

Love JJ but that's generous if based on last night

And no Wigan players make the smash and grab even sweeter.

• @Brownie said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Love JJ but that's generous if based on last night

And no Wigan players make the smash and grab even sweeter.

Tbh I'd be embarrassed to show up in a team like this having grabbed a point from the jaws of victory

• Josh has been very good...and he hasn't even played against Sunderland yet!! :smiley:

• He's definitely going to get sent off against Sunderland.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Josh has been very good...and he hasn't even played against Sunderland yet!! :smiley:

I can see either a career-defining performance or an early red in that one. Hopefully the former.

• josh and 09 both off down the tunnel at about 55 mins :smile: