Skip to content

Anthony Stewart

2»

Comments

• edited August 2021

@micra said:
    Although he played only a dozen or so games for us and was in his late thirties and only about 5’10”, Frank Sinclair’s experience, positional sense and calmness made him an excellent central defender and I remember being very disappointed when he left to join Wrexham.

Am I getting him mixed up with Duberry? Which ex-Chelsea defender around that era had the turning circle of the QE2? I was only young at the time.

• @wwfcblue said:
    Matt Lawrence
    Darius Charles
    Will Antwi
    Mark Rogers

Wil Antwi should have been a star. Just blighted by injury. So unlucky.

Darius Charles certainly does not deserve to be on this list. There is another list for Darius. It bridges superb player and god like man and only has him on it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:
    Although he played only a dozen or so games for us and was in his late thirties and only about 5’10”, Frank Sinclair’s experience, positional sense and calmness made him an excellent central defender and I remember being very disappointed when he left to join Wrexham.

Am I getting him mixed up with Duberry? Which ex-Chelsea defender around that era had the turning circle of the QE2? I was only young at the time.

No comparison. Chalk and cheese.

• Loved Will Antwi. Had a calmness rarely seen in a centre back.

These best player threads always derail in to a worst player discussion. We really should shout about how lucky we have been more often. So many top centre backs in a relatively short time period.

• Poor Will Antwi - I remember him often being phenomenal when he played but so regularly hit by injuries. Forever seemed to get himself established in the team then another lengthy lay-off.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:

No comparison. Chalk and cheese.

Sinclair was signed in March 2009 and was a key player in the run in to promotion to League 1 under Peter Taylor. He was on loan from Lincoln City. Wycombe wanted to sign him for the following season but he opted to go to Wrexham.

Duberry, four years younger, was signed on a two year contract in July 2009 and soon became club captain. However, he seemed to have lost pace and motivation as he approached retirement and a particular low point came on 14 November 2009 at the strangely named Galpharm Stadium when Huddersfield inflicted one of their 6-0 thrashings on us. Luke Oliver played alongside Duberry that evening and was made to look quite impressive by comparison! (The referee was Michael Oliver but, as far as I know, is no relation.)

As I said earlier, chalk and cheese.

• Omitted to mention that Duberry was “released by mutual consent” on 1 February 2010.

• @micra said:
    Omitted to mention that Duberry was “released by mutual consent” on 1 February 2010.

Later signed for Oxford and scored a hat-trick in a game v Hereford. Sadly two of the goals were in his own net.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Luke Oliver one of the worst

@DJWYC14 said:
    Luke Oliver one of the worst

The Duberry and Oliver combo takes some beating.
    Although we had Westwood at the same time in our stable of centre backs and my main memory of him was at Norwich away, just watching them walking it in.

• Westwood was all right, Darius C reminded me of him when he first came.

• Not sure that's a great likeness. Bearing in mind Darius spent about 99% of his first season injured.

• @Malone said:

Although we had Westwood at the same time in our stable of centre backs and my main memory of him was at Norwich away, just watching them walking it in.

Just when I think I've erased that game at Norwich from my memory someone goes and reminds me. The first half in particular was utterly humiliating to watch as a Wycombe fan.

• @Twizz said:

@Malone said:

Just when I think I've erased that game at Norwich from my memory someone goes and reminds me. The first half in particular was utterly humiliating to watch as a Wycombe fan.

Such a weird game. Prince Harry scored 2 for us, one of them an absolutely supreme strike, but we got absolutely annihilated, culminating in that walk in goal I mentioned.

• I actually have quite fond memories of that game. Part nostalgic from when I used to watch Norwich in the old first division and the thought of us playing them in a league game one day never occurred to me, but mainly (or only really) for the start of the second half

If my memory is correct, after being stuffed first half we were about 5 minutes late coming out after half time and the Norwich players were wandering around in the heat looking suitably bemused. I think we scored from the kick off after less than a minute.