Skip to content

Help Needed for Football Book

Hi all, I hope everyone is well.

I’m a writer currently working on a project which looks at mental health in football. One of the chapters I wish to explore as part of this focuses on the backbone of football – the supporters.

In 2004, an academic paper looked at how the mental health of Mansfield Town supporters was affected by watching their team (for better or for worse!) and I would love to emulate that paper with football now in a very different place to how it was 17 years ago.

Basically, I would need some volunteers to keep a ‘mood diary’, in which they write down their feelings on the evening following a game. There’s no real format to it other than this – simply pour your feelings onto a Word document (or piece of paper if you're feeling traditional) as you wish. When coming to write the book, I would pick out some quotes that complement the points I’m making, including them in the chapter. Nobody’s names would be published in the book itself; I’ll keep it all anonymous. If you prefer to submit your musings to me anonymously, too, that would be absolutely fine.
There’s no specific requirements to do this. You don’t have to consider your mental health to be particularly good or bad or have a diagnosed condition. One of the main themes I want to get at throughout the book is that we all have mental health, and so the more contributors, the better.

If you would be interested in helping at all, please drop me an email at [email protected]

Thanks in advance for your help!

Johnnie Lowery

Comments

• My mood when I came in late and missed the first half, spent a tenner to get the game on ifollow just in time for the 46th minute at 0-0, then in the 47th be 1-0 down was, if you will excuse me, a bit shit.

Then 44 mins later I was in a rather good mood!

Best of luck with the book though ?