Possible starting 11 for Wigan game

Stockdale
McCarthy, Grimmer, Stewart, JJ, Obita
Scowen, Thompson
GMac, Horgan
Vokes

If all above fit.

Comments

• I would sign off on that - especially the "if fit" part, as it would be brilliant to have Stocko, McCarthy, Curtis and Horgs all back!

• I’d be pleasantly surprised if more than two of those are fit. I reckon all four would play if fit although Curt might well start on the bench again. (I heard one of the players refer to Thommo as Curt in a recent interview.)

• Dropping Pendlebury? How would he feel about that?

• edited August 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Stockdale
    McCarthy, Grimmer, Stewart, JJ, Obita
    Scowen, Thompson
    GMac, Horgan
    Vokes

If all above fit.

Agreed. I would like to see Kaikai on the left, but Obita should get into his groove with a proper run of games - which he's hardly had since signing really.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Dropping Pendlebury? How would he feel about that?

Not a fan of that, he'll dip at some point and need taking out but he should get a run while he's going well or we'll never see his potential.
    Do the club still do team news now that nobody believes it?

• edited August 2021

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:

Not a fan of that, he'll dip at some point and need taking out but he should get a run while he's going well or we'll never see his potential.

How well has he really done if you take the two goals out, though? He's still very raw - as you'd expect. We've looked soft through the middle and Thompson should start if he's fit - which he seems to be.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:

How well has he really done if you take the two goals out, though? He's still very raw - as you'd expect. We've looked soft through the middle and Thompson should start if he's fit - which he seems to be.

Why would you take the goals out though? It's not a bad habit to have.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:

If you take goals out, what else does Vardy do?

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:

A hell of a lot actually

• This is a good discussion. The reason I left Pendlebury and Mehmeti out of the proposed starting 11 is that we did look a bit vulnerable through the middle on Saturday and this will need a solid midfield, as well as the experience of Horgan in place of Mehmeti. Those two boys will have plenty of games during the season. If fit, Tommo and Horgan will be fresh and ready to go.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:

A hell of a lot actually

A lot less than Harry Kane though!

https://www.chaseyoursport.com/Football/Why-Jamie-Vardy-hardly-touches-the-ball-but-still-is-the-most-vital-man-of-Brendan-Rodgers-tactics/1332

• edited August 2021

Goals: great - although let's wait a while longer before seeing if it is actually a habit. Plays with his head up and looks for the right pass even if it doesn't always come off (not that you see too much of the ball as a Wycombe midfielder): also good. But what I've noticed most is him sticking a leg out after being beaten too easily on the turn as he's not quite up to the pace of senior football yet - something I think Gaz himself has said. I think he'll develop really nicely, but he's some way off dislodging Curtis Thompson from the starting 11 yet.

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:

A hell of a lot actually

A lot less than Harry Kane though!

https://www.chaseyoursport.com/Football/Why-Jamie-Vardy-hardly-touches-the-ball-but-still-is-the-most-vital-man-of-Brendan-Rodgers-tactics/1332

Arguably no one does less than Harry Kane at the moment ;)

• It comes to something when we can afford to advocate leaving someone who scores goals out of the next game! These are good times. Enjoy them folks!

• @thecatwwfc said:

Would be decent management.
    For starters this is a kid with barely a game to his career and he will be knackered after the weekend anyway.
    Then it would just be a little reminder that this is a hard game.

• edited August 2021

Plus this is Ainsworth we're talking about - i.e. a superb man manager. He's not gonna walk up, go 'You're dropped, son', and then give him the silent treatment. Not that being replace by a fit again superior player would constitute dropping anyway.

• edited August 2021

He's starting then! No problems either way. Total belief in Gareth to make the right decision.

• On a slightly different note - with the defence performing well end of last season and beginning of this - does our interest in Lavelle make you wonder if Stewart will eventually get the big move that he probably (although we dread to think it) deserves...perhaps in January?

• @thecatwwfc said:
    On a slightly different note - with the defence performing well end of last season and beginning of this - does our interest in Lavelle make you wonder if Stewart will eventually get the big move that he probably (although we dread to think it) deserves...perhaps in January?

Why would it?
    Surely on our relegation, that was the time for any swoops from above?

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    On a slightly different note - with the defence performing well end of last season and beginning of this - does our interest in Lavelle make you wonder if Stewart will eventually get the big move that he probably (although we dread to think it) deserves...perhaps in January?

Why would it?
    Surely on our relegation, that was the time for any swoops from above?

Not if GA has said "give it until Jan and see where we are in the league". AS would rather stay at WW of course but needs must.

• Stewart is 29 next month. I think that ship has probably, thankfully, sailed.

• I like to think we ARE his big move, after his messing about season, and handful of games for Crewe.

• How many lower league clubs have so many absolute legends playing for them at the same time, all long serving?

Bloomfield
    Stewart
    JJ
    Bayo

Gape could also get there eventually, if he manages to get back in the team!