Skip to content

Dennis Adeniran

Wednesday fan here.

Good start to your season.

My question is about Adeniran. What did you lot think about him?

2 games into our season he looks one hell of a player. He’d have shone in the Championship, let alone L1. Seems strong as an ox, full of running, decent in the air, pacy and very confident on the ball. We are playing him in a central midfield 3 (with Bannan and Lewis Wing), and he looks the dog’s wotsits. Even got a goal yesterday, arriving late at the far post. In his post-match interview he said our manager, Darren Moore, wants him to score plenty this season and is working on that aspect of his game.

I’d welcome your views on his time at Wycombe please.

Good luck for the season. Hope you finish second! (and that’s wishful thinking, not over-confidence. Having supported Wednesday for 37 years I am never confident of anything).

Comments

• We would dearly have loved to have kept him, he was immense in our late surge last season. I'm not surprised he's done well so far for Wednesday, I was happy for him to have got his goal yesterday.

• Welcome, @owlsfan. Thanks for coming along.

Adeniran made a very good impression with us last season when he played. Your analysis resonates with me - I think you have fairly identified his strengths. It's fair to say fans would have been happy to have been able to keep him this season - no idea how Gareth Ainsworth felt.

The one rider is that he had a fairly extended period mid-season when he did not play. Lovely and well-regarded man that he is, Gareth gives little to no information about how players are so it may well have been injury-related. Certainly, the team seemed better for his presence when he played.

Allow me to return to you the hope that you finish second this season. Good luck.

• When he played, a real game changer.
    But only seemed to play a tiny handful of games start and end of season, disappearing without word for ages.
    If you keep him fit though he's a definite star player in league one.

• Very popular last season, came into the team a few weeks into the season and was a big part of us finally finding our feet in the league after the tough first 5 or so games where we were completely overrun with no goals or points.

There was a strange period mid-season where he went missing for unexplained reasons, often an unused sub so no obvious injury problems. There was one game where he was named on the bench behind a clearly inferior Alex Pattison (since released and now playing in League 2 for Harrogate). Pattison was then injured in the warm-up and Adeniran drafted in at late notice and performed admirably.

He was also crucial once we changed to a back 3 for the last couple of months of the season which saw our results drastically improve and nearly complete the impossible survival mission. He regularly played in the midfield 2 of a 3-4-3 system with very attacking wing backs. Maybe if he had played more in the early months of 2021 things could have been different.

There were high hopes we'd be able to sign him on a permanent deal this season after his release from Everton, but clearly wasn't to be. Glad to hear he's started well at Wednesday!

• I think we all wanted to sign him from what we saw. He started a couple of games and then disappeared for half a season. We have a policy at Wycombe of not discussing player absence (I’ve probably said too much already) so no idea why he missed such a large part of the season but assume he was injured. When he game back he was aggressive, box to box, quick, quick footed, just excellent.
    We have an embarrassment of riches in the centre of midfield (mainly injured at the moment) so maybe signing Denis was not the top of our wish list when we needed other players but I’d be surprised if we didn’t try.
    Good luck to you too … apart from on 2 games of course.

• Always looked a good player when he played. Would love us to have kept him, although we do seem to be very strong in central midfield. I expect him to come on leaps and bounds with you guys. Happy that we played a part in his development, but would be happier if he was still with us. I would say we've lacked a goalscoring midfielder for years, but then we had young Ollie Pendlebury scoring 2 yesterday, so maybe Ainsworth has found another gem!

• Dennis Adreniran is a very good player at this level and I was sad to see him not return to Wycombe. You have a good player there and I wish him and Wednesday well. Great club and I hope you go back up with us.

• Agree with pretty much all of the preceding comments @Owlsfan except that we lost every one of the first seven games last season! (Sorry @Croider, typically pedantic on my part).

When fit and selected (either to start or as a substitute) I don’t recall him having a bad game. Indeed, as you’ll have gathered from all the comments, he was a real powerhouse and I think we all hoped that he would be signed on a permanent basis. I personally thought that, as a Londoner, Wycombe might be an attractive proposition.

The only reservation I had was with regard to his apparent vulnerability to injury. One occasion stands out vividly in my memory. In one of the last half dozen or so matches, he collapsed in a heap off camera and, after receiving attention on the pitch, he was helped off by two guys, one on each arm, and he could barely put one foot in front of the other. That’s that for the season (I thought) but, lo and behold, a week or so later, he returned, as powerful as ever. Miracle man!

Good luck for the rest of the season and hope to be playing you in the Championship next year.

• Well @Owlsfan I can only echo what the other posters have said already. I was gutted when he signed for you lot instead of us.Purely because I thought he was the best player on the park when he played, (nothing against SWFC personally). I genuinely thought we had the best chance of signing him as he started out at Fulham and was a Londoner. I genuinely believed that it was either us or a Championship club that he would go to as I believe he is that good. You have one hell of a player there, enjoy him whilst you can, as he is surely destined for greater things should you remain in L1.
    As already stated, I wish you and SWFC all the luck for the coming season, with the exception of two league games and let's hope we both pass DCFC on the way!

• Can’t let you get away with that misplaced pedantry @micra. @Croider actually said “first five or so games… with no goals or points.” We scored our first goal in the fifth game, which I think makes the comment perfectly reasonable and unworthy of being disagreed with.

(Sorry, mischievous mood)

• Much appreciated guys.

I’ve posted a link to this on our forum and our fans were pleased to read such civil replies and in particular your high opinion of the player.

• @bookertease said:
    Can’t let you get away with that misplaced pedantry @micra. @Croider actually said “first five or so games… with no goals or points.” We scored our first goal in the fifth game, which I think makes the comment perfectly reasonable and unworthy of being disagreed with.

(Sorry, mischievous mood)

No need to be sorry, @bookertease. I honestly didn’t know that we didn’t score a single goal for five or so games but I did know that we lost the first seven and that, if we’d scraped a draw (eg against Rotherham !) at some stage during those first few weeks, we’d still be in the Championship.

• We wouldn't, we would still have been relegated on goal difference

• Thanks @eric_plant ! Wrist duly slapped.

• @Owlsfan - he was awful. You should loan him to us to sabotage our season.

(Seriously though - second best of luck!)

• I was a big fan of Adeniran last season, the lad has it all. I was amazed to not see him sign for a top-half Championship side in the summer.