Skip to content

Pendlebury - 2 questions

1) Have Reading dropped a rather large bllck in letting him go?
2) How long can we keep hold of him?

Comments

• I dont think they couldve signed him because of pressure to cut their wage bill

• I just hope we sign he and Mehmeti to long term deals - I am worried about losing the latter for nothing at the end of this season.

• I hardly imagine he's on massive wages, so probably wasn't released for financial reasons.

Think it's more down to Sam Grace giving him a call and letting him know he's got a lot more of a chance playing for Wycombe 1st XI than Reading so decided to move on. They clearly get along and trust each other, although let's give him more than 2 games before we start calling for a contract extension!

• Guys - he has had a handful of games, one of which was particularly good. He is 19. Let's not expect too much of him!

• I asked a Reading season ticket holder pal about him, and he said he'd never even heard of him. So that probably shows how far down their system he was!

This indeed looks like some genius from Sam G, from his knowledge of working at Reading for a number of years.

And agree with @Croider , let's be delighted with the most unexpected double from a Wanderers player in one game since Stuart Lewis hit 2 insane screamers, but...let's see what he can do over at least a few months first!

• Yeah, I think people are getting a little carried away about two goals. Great strikes, but his overall performance was raw again. But I think he'll develop quite quickly.

• He’s looked pretty good for a 19 year old that no one (as far as I know) expected to be near the first team.

• Agree with @ReturnToSenda before his first goal the game was passing him by and he was easily beaten on the turn. Work in progress but wonderful goals for the lad.

• I thought he was having quiet, but effective game before the goals. He certainly hadn't stood out. But showed lovely technique for his 2 strikes, the first in particular. If he has that in his locker, we could have a very decent player if he continues to develop.

• An embryonic version of Josh Knight perhaps?

• Gareth’s interview was a bit more measured. He’s had a chance because of injuries. He’s a development player. He has a lot to learn. Three really good performances I’ve seen. He (probably) can’t keep this level of performance and growth up so will need managing when the downs surely come. Or he will keep it up and we will sell him for a fortune in the summer.

• Not abundantly clear, @TheAndyGrahamFanClub, which of those reflections are Gareth’s and which are yours. Presumably yours start at “I’ve seen.....”

• Sorry, I meant at “Three really good....” !!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Gareth’s interview was a bit more measured. He’s had a chance because of injuries. He’s a development player. He has a lot to learn. Three really good performances I’ve seen. He (probably) can’t keep this level of performance and growth up so will need managing when the downs surely come. Or he will keep it up and we will sell him for a fortune in the summer.

Spot on. I got a little over excited by the goals, because we have been missing goals from midfield, but he needs to develop a lot more. Curtis coming back is a lot more important currently.

• Plenty of games to get everyone involved.

It's Gape who must be a little nervous. Presumably he's the one who had to have the operation, and he'll be looking nervously at Pendlebury emerging, as that puts him further behind in the queue.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Guys - he has had a handful of games, one of which was particularly good. He is 19. Let's not expect too much of him!

Indeed. I remember the fuss after Tafari Moore's first game - and the demands to sign him up immediately. I'm not sure he's even got a professional club at the moment.

• edited August 2021

Gareth will probably bench him next game out, just a little keep your feet on the ground thing. Whilst also getting Thompson another start.

• Regarding the 'Penders of Marlow or Maidenhead' saga, I have it or good authority that Olly's mum hails from Booker. So we are claiming Penders as 'one of our own', and those two Thameside towns will have to stick to their rowing icons for national fame.

• The Marlow bistros have been gossiping overtime

• Has Marlow ever produced a Wanderers Player ?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Has Marlow ever produced a Wanderers Player ?

It gave us Monty Seymour.

• Dear Monty, one of the most wonderful men I’ve ever been privileged to know.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Regarding the 'Penders of Marlow or Maidenhead' saga, I have it or good authority that Olly's mum hails from Booker. So we are claiming Penders as 'one of our own', and those two Thameside towns will have to stick to their rowing icons for national fame.

From the man himself: "I was brought up in Maidenhead and still live there to this day."