Skip to content

Accrington fined for having games called off due to Covid

Comments

• That is complete and utter madness. Do the people who make those decisions live in the real world?

• I think with Andy Holt it is always wise to ensure you know the story before trusting one of his rants to be fully accurate.

As an aside I see they were also fined for naming an illegible player (Paul Smyth as it happens) in the squad for the final match of the season - a result that cost Pompey a playoff spot.

• How does a professional club even manage to field an ineligible player in this day and age?

• Maybe just not getting it but what is so mad about a club with so many COVID cases being fined when other clubs have managed to put protocols in place to avoid illness and postponements?

• edited August 2021

Ha ha, how desperate do you have to be to be a contrarian to conjure up a take that bad?

• This bit....

"We got told we were being investigated for COVID-19 and the EFL have fined everybody who had to postpone games."

Does that mean we've been fined as well?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    How does a professional club even manage to field an ineligible player in this day and age?

From what I saw on Twitter, the contract stated Smyth’s loan ran until the final Saturday of the season. The season ended on a Sunday.

Separate note - Andy also said that he thought they got £5k for winning Rd 1 of the Carabao - in fact there is no prize money until the semi finals.

• @JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    How does a professional club even manage to field an ineligible player in this day and age?

From what I saw on Twitter, the contract stated Smyth’s loan ran until the final Saturday of the season. The season ended on a Sunday.

Separate note - Andy also said that he thought they got £5k for winning Rd 1 of the Carabao - in fact there is no prize money until the semi finals.

Am sure someone else was quoting 5k on the fb group today.
    Seems a strangely small amount to be quoting if not true.

• @Malone said:

@JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Am sure someone else was quoting 5k on the fb group today.
    Seems a strangely small amount to be quoting if not true.

Yeah, from what I saw on Andy’s twitter - and I’ve not bothered to delve deeper - that was last years payouts.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

According to @DevC, Paul Smyth was illegible, not ineligible. Dodgy signature on his contract, I imagine.