Skip to content

Disabled Chairboys

Good morning all

As a few of of you may recall - about 7 or 8 months ago I put a plea on here to help get may Dad’s iFollow to work after he was hospitalised initially with a leg amputation and then catching covid early January (while in the JR recovering) and today marks not only the first time back to a game for all of us for a long time, but I believe also his first trip outside of the home bar hospital and physio trips etc.

He’s not said anything but I know in his darker days he feared getting out of the hospital again let alone giving up on getting to see the blues live again - and I know he would be vehemently against the iFollow decision to stop the broadcasting of games as I know the 3 months or so in hospital having the games to watch was a bit of a life line and gave him something to look forward to. I was pleased to hear Rob C’s comments that our club voted against the herd regarding iFollow access.

I’ll be accompanying him as his carer today but it comes with a little disappointment (I know, gift horses and mouths etc) in where we’ll be having to view the game.
For decades he’s been a season ticket holder in the upper tier, after a long stint high(ish) in the terrace when he first took me along 30 years ago and enjoys being able to view the big picture of the game. Being ground level and potentially exposed to the elements (which i also have concerns over regarding health concerns any of our even pre-covid definition of venerable members getting colds and flu etc) he’s already making noises about not returning if his forced seating view and rain means he can’t see anything and is wet through. Which would be a huge shame and another loss to deal with.

I believe the club has been looking into the possibilities of moving supporters to a different location over the summer - but my thought it fire safety has a lot to do with them being pitch side/ground level which is fair enough.

Can anyone else share their match day experience from a disabled Chairboys point of view?
What are access to the toilet ring facilities like?
From those that are expirenced in being a carer is there anything I should be aware of?
Is there anything the club could help with? Or is the experience already as good as it could be?
Can I pre-download the food ordering app? If so what’s it called etc?

Comments

• I hope it goes well for you today.

There is a disabled toilet near the Valley End kiosk which I used to use when my kids were infants.

I’d pack an umbrella as there is little shelter from the weather down there.

The food app is called Fetch, if you get asked about Greece, it’s the wrong one!

• @TheDancingYak, I can't add anything that will help today's experience, which I hope goes well for you and your father.
    There's a special bond between father and son while watching football, he may not always be able to tell you but I bet he's as proud as can be that you're taking him along.

Any feedback on your experience, positive or negative, can be directed to @PeterLerner on here or via the trust as he has a dedicated interest in disabled supporters.

• Enjoy your day if you can @TheDancingYak and hope your dad enjoys it enough to keep returning.

My father passed away a few weeks ago and it’s suddenly struck me that this is the first Wycombe game in my life that I won’t be able to moan about with him.

• My condolences, @bookertease. It must be such a difficult time for you.

@TheDancingYak - I hope the day goes as well as possible for you and your dad.

• Thanks @Shev. He was 91 and got confused al little between the late 1950s team and today towards the end but today somehow it has affected me more than recently

• Thanks all,

Enjoyed the game and overall the experience was a good one. We were at the furthest point away from the home fans so perspective of the goals was skewed somewhat. Surprised to hear our second was a 25 yarder when it looked like he’d just lifted it over the keeper - but that’s how it goes I guess.

Slight gripe to be had with the toilets. One of them (the right hand door) doesn’t close without a good slam. Something someone in a wheel chair couldn’t do and once closed it couldn’t be openned without a good shove. Something I was able to do but dad couldn’t. Also, the door didn’t lock once closed.

A gentlemen who’s son was using the other toilet said he had raised it as a complaint after the Leicester game so hopefully a new lock and someone with a plane can shave off the offending material from the door.

Got a soaking in the last 10 minutes, but I don’t think we were the only ones!

• @TheDancingYak I did notice today that there is a disabled toilet signed at the end of the Family Stand nearest the terrace. I don't know if there is any designated space for wheelchair users that end of the ground but if so you'd at least be nearer the home fans for a better experience.
    McCleary's second goal was indeed a lofted shot in off the underside of the bar not a header.

• Thanks for the mention @Twizz and I hope that you and your Dad enjoyed the match, @TheDancingYak.

Can I recommend you to join the WWFC Disabled Supporters Association? It was formed a few months ago as a WW Trust community initiative and already has around 40 members. It has carried out an inventory of Adams Park making recommendations for improvements to help supporters with all kinds of disabilities, and is regularly consulted by the Club on all sorts of issues relating to disabilities.

Joining is really simple, just send an email to [email protected], and there is no charge. Carers are very welcome to join, too. You will be added to our mailing list and receive regular updates about our actions, events and campaigns.

• Thank you for what you do for the Trust and Wycombe Supporters @PeterLerner.