Skip to content

Local football kicked off this evening

Local sides were in action tonight as both Flackwell Heath & Holmer Green returned to the Spartan South Midlands League after a brief spell in the Hellenic League. Results:

Premier Division:

Flackwell Heath 0 Ardley United 1
Holmer Green 3 Aylesbury Vale Dynamos 3
Winslow United 5 London Tigers 0

Div 1:

Penn & Tylers Green 2 Long Crendon 4

** Holmer Green were 3-0 up with 17 minutes to go but A.V.D. managed to score 3 late goals to earn a point.

Isn’t it nice to be back!
(No mile long car queues, pay at the turnstiles & cash happily accepted - maybe a lesson elsewhere?)

Comments

• Full-time:
    Leighton Town 1 Risborough Rangers 1

• Winslow had a very comfortable 5-0 win at home to London Tigers, helped by the red carding of a Tigers defender for a professional foul on 22 minutes. Three goals then followed before half-time. Inspired goalkeeping and poor finishing kept the final score down.

Winslow have a two footed winger Kevin Owusu, small, very quick, Raheem like in appearance and style, who scored the best goal, dribbling past three defenders and curling the ball into the far corner with his left foot. An entertaining game with few fouls, enjoyed by a crowd of 112.

• edited August 2021

Attendances.

Flackwell Heath: 94
    Holmer Green: 92
    Leighton Town: 337
    Penn & Tylers Green: 37
    Winslow: 112

Also tonight in SSML 1,
    Amersham Town 2-0 Thame Utd Res (59)
    Buckingham Ath 1-1 Kidlington Res (50)

• @A_Worboys said:
    Local sides were in action tonight as both Flackwell Heath & Holmer Green returned to the Spartan South Midlands League after a brief spell in the Hellenic League. Results:

Premier Division:

Flackwell Heath 0 Ardley United 1
    Holmer Green 3 Aylesbury Vale Dynamos 3
    Winslow United 5 London Tigers 0

Div 1:

Penn & Tylers Green 2 Long Crendon 4

** Holmer Green were 3-0 up with 17 minutes to go but A.V.D. managed to score 3 late goals to earn a point.

Isn’t it nice to be back!
    (No mile long car queues, pay at the turnstiles & cash happily accepted - maybe a lesson elsewhere?)

An unfair dig at WWFC. There is clearly no comparison between the level of football, size of traffic queues and methods of payment when you have attendances in the hundreds rather than in the thousands.

• Non-League football is run by a dedicated band of volunteers. WW is run by salaried full-time people. Therein lies the difference. Most local Non-League clubs will barely have turnover exceeding £100k. WW is a multi-million pound business.

• Decision time on Tuesday.

The mighty WW play an hour or so up the road. Its only the League Cup so I imagine it will be mianly squad players playing at largely friendly pace in front of a small crowd in a game they would not be totally gutted to lose but one of the few chances to see a WW team live without a ball-aching nine hour round trip.

On the same evening my local non league side (Holmer Green level) who have had a tough time over summer with a number of their better players poached by the upwardly mobile slightly bigger team down the road (money talks even at that level) play a match against one of the leagues title contenders. They could do with my support. Then again they are at home again on Friday and another game 30 mins away on Tuesday week.

Which to go to?

• @A_Worboys said:
    Non-League football is run by a dedicated band of volunteers. WW is run by salaried full-time people. Therein lies the difference. Most local Non-League clubs will barely have turnover exceeding £100k. WW is a multi-million pound business.

Manchester United also have salaried full time staff but you can’t compare them to Wycombe.

• edited August 2021

@glasshalffull said:

@A_Worboys said:
    Non-League football is run by a dedicated band of volunteers. WW is run by salaried full-time people. Therein lies the difference. Most local Non-League clubs will barely have turnover exceeding £100k. WW is a multi-million pound business.

Manchester United also have salaried full time staff but you can’t compare them to Wycombe.

Exactly! And that's Manchester United whose game got called off due to a bomb scare caused by a training device they'd forgotten to remove iirc. Some are bigger than others, but these things happen whether you've got full-time, salaried staff running the ship or not.

• @DevC said:
    Decision time on Tuesday.

The mighty WW play an hour or so up the road. Its only the League Cup so I imagine it will be mianly squad players playing at largely friendly pace in front of a small crowd in a game they would not be totally gutted to lose but one of the few chances to see a WW team live without a ball-aching nine hour round trip.

On the same evening my local non league side (Holmer Green level) who have had a tough time over summer with a number of their better players poached by the upwardly mobile slightly bigger team down the road (money talks even at that level) play a match against one of the leagues title contenders. They could do with my support. Then again they are at home again on Friday and another game 30 mins away on Tuesday week.

Which to go to?

Wycombe on Tuesday Dev, pull your weight, the lads need you.

• What ppf said. No decision to be made.

• edited August 2021

@A_Worboys said:

Your dig is bizarre though.
    It'd be like me strolling down to the Rye to watch a game for free and saying, wow that was easier than at Flackwell!

The smaller the numbers the easier it is to deal with.
    Throw in Leicester being the first game post pandemic, major local travel issues, and the first steps of bringing in new systems etc, there was always going to be teething troubles.

To Wycombe's immense credit, they put a statement out and have taken major steps to put things right.
    Free trial of the park n ride, more parking at businesses close by etc.

• It's a no brainier isn't it? You can see your "local" sides most weeks, but WWFC is a very rare occasion for you. Got my Exeter tickets yesterday. We are on holiday in Somerset next week, it's about an hours journey from where we are staying, never considered not going!

• Wear the pink trousers, one of you (both if you prefer!) and meet at the match. Always interesting to meet face to face people you’ve ‘known’ for years on the Gasroom.

• @micra said:
    Wear the pink trousers, one of you (both if you prefer!) and meet at the match. Always interesting to meet face to face people you’ve ‘known’ for years on the Gasroom.

I would imagine the last thing Dev would risk doing is meeting any Wycombe fans!

• Some Malone. Some......

No-brainer for a league game.

League Cup feels a bit like a FLT game these days so hard to get excited. I almost certainly will drag myself there though.

In fact here's a deal. If @peterparrotface or @EwanHoosaami sign up to the prediction league, I definately will. Easily bought me....

Happy to meet up if anyone wants to - you can easily recognise me - I'm the Brad Pitt lookalike (but only if it is very very dark) .....

• Personally it's a pain to find cash..so much easier to tap on the card..job done.
    Easier as a business as well not worrying about cash floats.

• @Aylesburyblue said:
    Personally it's a pain to find cash..so much easier to tap on the card..job done.

Easier to balance the books too. There have been occasions where I honestly gave back change that was more than I'd handed over in the first place.

No spending hours counting money after match day, no paying for Loomis or whoever to move cash around.

Since the Chairboy's Village, I've been using the Barbarian Grill, hopefully they'll be back. I only used the kiosk for Haribo (a tradition going back to my son's early visits) and the occasional Balti pie.

• @Aylesburyblue said:
    Personally it's a pain to find cash..so much easier to tap on the card..job done.

That is a good point. Time/security/honesty of staff/genuine errors etc and all that sort of stuff.

• @Malone said:

@Aylesburyblue said:

That is a good point. Time/security/honesty of staff/genuine errors etc and all that sort of stuff.

Yeah totally..limits the errors by humans on giving out wrong change..last week bar person at golf club couldn't even work out change from 2.80 beer from £5.

• I prefer cash but then again I am old school! I am going away this week and am taking away pro £400 cash that I have built up from one of my income streams. Bet I have trouble spending it, unless I spend it in a supermarket.