Skip to content

Gab Sutton's 1-24

Gabriel Sutton is one of the best independent EFL writers around. His annual 1-24 for the EFL leagues have been published this week. This is his League 1 effort.
https://blog.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/league-one/league-one-2021-22-season-preview-1-24/

Comments

• Surprised he has Pompey as low as 13th.

• Love that he’s put us to finish 2nd but a lot of his predictions are questionable.

• edited July 2021

@mooneyman said:
    Surprised he has Pompey as low as 13th.

Given the rebuild needed there, I'd say that's about right. The Cowleys are good, but the squad is the weakest it's been in a few years.

• @mooneyman said:
    Surprised he has Pompey as low as 13th.

They've got a lot of gaps still to fill in their squad.

• I like Headingtons position.....

• You've got to go a bit bold (although he's gone very bold indeed with League One) with these to get people talking, but Gab does it from a place of great expertise.

• On a quick glance through he (or she) does seem to place a lot of weight on formations, etc. Statistics are a great way to analyse what has happened but as a predicting tool I think you’d do better picking lots. (I may just do a random pull out of the hat selection and compare with his/hers at the end of the season. Wouldn’t be surprised if my method was closer

• Am sure we'll have that on the board as motivation, how dare he have us as low as ...2nd

Hang on

• He provides a perfectly good rationale for his prediction. Are we not just maybe underselling ourselves a bit? I couldn't really disagree with anything he wrote. I agree putting teams in order after they've all played 46 games, before anyone has played anyone, and before all the squads are finalised is not something I would want to do with any sizeable amount of money at stake, but saying we are pretty strong this year, and a team to look out for near the top, ought to be pretty accurate.

• I think we're going to win the league. I've even had a little bet on it

• I've seen bottom half predictions for us - including from our own fans - and it's just like, 'What are you basing that on?!'. Before Vokes signed, but still.

• Before the game last night, before Kai kai and before Vokes, I thought we had a competitive team for League One. I won't say we'll win it, but unless there are some disastrous injuries, I reckon we'll be in the top four.

• Had a quick look at the odds with one provider, we're nowhere near favourites but still fairly low odds, thought it was interesting that only 3 teams are more than 20-1 to go up. It's a long season, lots could happen but we've got a decent chance.

• Looks like some very successful click bait. Well done Gab.

• It's a really well researched, well-written piece

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I've seen bottom half predictions for us - including from our own fans - and it's just like, 'What are you basing that on?!'. Before Vokes signed, but still.

Simply put - “M@t P&*%#e”

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Looks like some very successful click bait. Well done Gab.

I can't even read it because there's so much grubby tracking on that site it won't load when you block it all. So a perfectly valid comment I think.

• @bookertease said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I've seen bottom half predictions for us - including from our own fans - and it's just like, 'What are you basing that on?!'. Before Vokes signed, but still.

Simply put - “M@t P&*%#e”

Struggling with this one... Is it an old Gasroom-ism?

• It is the ultimate “football will bite you in the bum when you least expect it” for a whole generation of Wycombe supporters.

I think most have managed to get over it but despite extensive therapy I am scarred for life.

(Think a law enforcing - sometimes - organisation based in London that operates a non/league football team and I am unable to speak or write without shaking)

• I’m predicting 14th this season though which as I normal expect relegation is dangerously optimistic for me

• Fleetwood Town getting predicted relegation is something that would surprise some but doesn't really surprise me tbh.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Looks like some very successful click bait. Well done Gab.

This is a poor take imo. The amount of time and effort put into researching these and writing a solid piece on every single team in the EFL is impressive. Nowhere near “clickbait”.

• Fantastic start to the season for Franchise. Guess they can concentrate on the league now.

• Russell Martin no doubt has potential but not experienced as a manager, Swansea a bit stupid if they take him

• @OX66 said:
    Russell Martin no doubt has potential but not experienced as a manager, Swansea a bit stupid if they take him

He'd be a fantastic appointment on a coaching level; I just have doubts about if it's the right move for Russ because of the scale of the rebuild needed there - but he does have such a clear vision that I think he'll be able to apply it anywhere if given time.

• @eric_plant said:
    I think we're going to win the league. I've even had a little bet on it

Odds? I rarely bet but took a punt on us as champions at 25-1 the day after the season ended. Recent acquisitions make me think I have a chance

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Fantastic start to the season for Franchise. Guess they can concentrate on the league now.

Oh shit, I thought that was a friendly ?