Cover we would have if we played 3-4-1-2 (Or a similar formation)
Hope everyone is having a good summer holiday so far. Over the last few days, I've been working on a list which shows the cover that we have if we were to continue playing 3-4-1-2 (or a similar wing back system) like towars the end of last season. Obviously, on other others there has been much talk of which positions some of our players will play in next season, so amid the speculation on here, I decided to do this list. Although it was quite challenging to make, and as well as the fact we generally don't even know what formation we'll be using next season I do think it's relatively accurate if this was to be the case. It also contains other positions (in brackets) that they they could play in the same formation/structure (I used transfermarkt as well as self-observation to work that out).
The list is as follows (Ranked in squad number order):
1. (13) David Stockdale (First Team)
2. (-) Adam Przybek (First Team)
1. (2) Jack Grimmer (RWB) (First Team)
2. (3) Joe Jacobson (LWB) (First Team)
3. (5) Anthony Stewart (First Team)
4. (6) Ryan Tafazolli (First Team)
5. (34) Andre Burley (CM) (First Team)
6. (38) Chris Fornio-Joseph (Development Squad)
1. (7) David Wheeler (CM, CAM) (First Team)
2. (26) Jason McCarthy (CB) (First Team)
3. (37) James Clark (LWB) (Devopment Squad)
1. (4) Dominic Gape (RWB) (First Team)
2. (8) Curtis Thompson (RWB) (First Team)
3. (10) Matt Bloomfield (CAM) (First Team)
4. (22) Nick Freeman (RWB, LWB, CAM) (First Team)
5. (28) Josh Scowen (RWB) (First Team)
6. (33) Oliver Pendlebury (Development Squad)
1. (17) Daryl Horgan (RWB, CAM) (First Team)
2. (23) Jordan Obita (RWB, LWB) (First Team)
1. (12) Garath McCleary (RWB, LWB, ST) (First Team)
2. (19) Anis Mehmeti (CM, RWB, LWB) (First Team)
1. (11) Scott Kashket (CAM) (First Team)
2. (20) Adebayo Akinfenwa (First Team)
3. (25) Alex Samuel (First Team)
4. (36) Malachi Linton (Development Squad)
5. (-) Sullay Kaikai (RWB, LWB, CAM) (First Team)
I know that there will be disagreement with this list here regarding some of the first choice positions of the players but I'll explain why I put some players in positions that they wouldn't generally be expected to play in. This mainly applied for Wheeler, Horgan and Kaikai.
I think we'll see Wheeler transition a wing back and provide competition and cover for McCarthy. Most people would think Wheeler is a more centrally based player after last season given he played mostly in the middle of the park, but surely, with vast amount of central midfielders we have in total and little cover at Right Wing-Back, surely he's a contender to primerily play there this season?
I also believe that either Horgan and Obita will be 'Fred's replacement' this season rather than Kaikai. Horgan is quite similar to Fred in a way, given their both left hand sided players who use their right foot. Horgan may be the perfect candidate as a result as suggested by some. Obita is also a shout too, given he possesses much experience in the championship.
Finally, Kaikai was an interesting one and I had much difficulty trying to work out where he would play primarily. I don't think he'll play on the left as Fred's replacement given we're already well covered there. I think a more attacking and central role would be better for him but some would disagree with me on this.
What I would say at this point is we are definitely well covered all around, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make any more improvements. I may also do another one of these lists for a different formation etc.