Skip to content

Who would have seen this coming?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2021

@Commoner said:
    I'm not sure there is much wrong with the actual club statement:

"With regard to Manager Joey Barton’s court appearance by video link this morning, the Club has been informed that the matter is proceeding to trial and is therefore sub judicial.

Accordingly, the Club is unable to make any further comment other than to quote the Crown Prosecutor this morning who said “this is a victimless crime. No one has made a claim of assault”.

Following the weekend’s publicity and today’s court appearance Joey is taking a few days personal time to be with his family. Clint Hill will therefore lead the team for tomorrow night’s friendly against Havant and Waterlooville."

The Club have not stated it is a victimless crime, they have quoted the Crown prosecutor. Have they misquoted the CP or has the CP used the wrong terminology? I cannot find anywhere online what the CP has actually said to verify this. I think BR response is fairly neutral thus far.

I wholly agree that any form of domestic violence is "disgusting" and I am no way a fan of Joey Barton but I'm not sure BR have done anything wrong thus far with this statement.

Let's see what happens next...

Surely you can see that even using the phrase "victimless crime" in any capacity, when concerned in a potential assault domestic case is astounding for a football club.

They should have stayed well away from that phrase.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'd be careful if I were an elephant around there; it's probably not that much of a step up from a horse for them.

Gonna be lost on the youth that one.

• Appallingly ill judged statement from BR irrespective of the 'legal' position.

• It does seem bizarre that they did not just put we will not comment further until this matter has been settled. Legal issues usually require a high level of bland comment.
    Volunteer in the press office?

• @Wendoverman said:
    It does seem bizarre that they did not just put we will not comment further until this matter has been settled. Legal issues usually require a high level of bland comment.
    Volunteer in the press office?

Has to be a complete lack of understanding on the legal language rather than normal language. No idea why they had to issue a statement at all but I suppose having Barton as your manager might make your press team a bit trigger happy.

• Hopefully the wife doesn't give evidence at his trial defending his "out of character" conduct which arose due to the stress he was under.

• From that statement...

Firstly, I think it is really important to confirm that as a club we stand firmly against any form of violence. Any individual that is found guilty of any such offences will be dismissed immediately.

Hadn't he already been found guilty of several such offences before they even hired him?

• @drcongo Here's a list. He's even more of a horrible thug than I realised.

• "This period will have undoubtedly strained relationships" err yeah...

• All that talk of supporting inclusivity and anti-domestic violence campaigns feels basically the same as 'I'm not racist; I have black friends'.

• He says something about how important it is to confirm that the club stand against such things but it's more important to do than to say. Also the thing about using the dodgy phrase was not that it was a dodgy phrase it was that they knew what it meant and tried to use it as a defence.

• in 2018 we partnered with the Southmead Project who provide free counselling and support for survivors of abuse and addiction across Bristol and surrounding areas

Southmead Project reportedly very confused at the number of horses turning up for counselling.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    He says something about how important it is to confirm that the club stand against such things but it's more important to do than to say. Also the thing about using the dodgy phrase was not that it was a dodgy phrase it was that they knew what it meant and tried to use it as a defence.

Also, the actual legal phrase is "victimless prosecution". Doubling down on their use of "victimless crime" is abhorrent.

• We all know he's going to get the tin tack at some point during one or other of the trials.

• @Wendoverman said:
    We all know he's going to get the tin tack at some point during one or other of the trials.

He's not a very good manager so it seems unlikely he'll outstay both even if he gets off.

• I have sympathy with ex-players from under represented areas of our society who say they don't get a chance when a like Barton get employed despite their lack of success and, ahem, flawed character.

• To be fair Barton seemed to do a pretty good job at Fleetwood and on purely football grounds no surprise he got another job at Bristol.

Sadly seems his temper is uncontrollable and allegedly hitting a woman is totally indefensible.

With the Stendel case hanging over him though, surprising he got offered the chance. Hard to see him getting another chance if found guilty now.

• Only in the totally morally bankrupt world of football would someone like him even get near a manager job.
    It'd be hilarious if not so horrible.

• I don’t think that’s true at all. There are thoroughly unpleasant managers in plenty of other industries.

• Credit to the CPS (I assume) for pushing this through. I appreciate that Barton has not (and may not) been found guilty of this but he genuinely appears to be unable to control himself and is a danger to people around him.

• @Chris said:
    I don’t think that’s true at all. There are thoroughly unpleasant managers in plenty of other industries.

Probably not with such a longstanding violent criminal record and inability to control his temper.

• No matter what happened or what didn't. He is known to be hot headed and a volitile individual..... Needs to sort himself out

• @Chris said:
    I don’t think that’s true at all. There are thoroughly unpleasant managers in plenty of other industries.

I know HR departments are usually bad but I would hope a prison sentence and a suspended sentence might be somewhat problematic in the normal workplace...

• @Wendoverman said:

@Chris said:

I know HR departments are usually bad but I would hope a prison sentence and a suspended sentence might be somewhat problematic in the normal workplace...

And stubbing out cigars in trainee's eyes!

• Joey Barton remains gainfully employed and his employer comes out with this...

...the day after this:

Really grim stuff

• He does seem to have an incredible talent for evading proper punishment for his crimes.

Which makes the massive ban for betting that essentially retired him seem even more ridiculous in comparison.

• Barton and Katie Price would make a lovely couple!