Skip to content

Adam Przybek Signs

13»

Comments

• I thought I had blocked you @micra ?

• Schweinhund !

• Henning tells me that is very offensive. I withdraw it immediately.

• Eeeh yer a reet so and so and no mistake.

• @micra said:
    Schweinhund !

If you grew up reading war comics that was one of the first German words you learned along with “Achtung Spitfire and hande hoch”

• You are not permitted to block the forum's resident meteorologist and metrologist @Wendoverman!

• That’s a very measured comment @mooneyman.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@micra said:
    Schweinhund !

If you grew up reading war comics that was one of the first German words you learned along with “Achtung Spitfire and hande hoch”

I remember the Eagle, Dandy and Beano.plus a black and white one (Film Fun) featuring Old Mother Riley (Rachel’s great great grandmother?) but any German slang was probably picked up from Willy and Alphonse, two prisoners of war, ‘stationed’ at Mereworth who came to help clear a foot of snow in 1947.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@micra said:
    Schweinhund !

I do remember my father having a box of 'Combat' comics, full of 'Achtung' and 'Gott in Himmel'

• Victor! The Hotspur! I learned a bit of German and to shout 'Share that pineapple out amongst you...' when throwing a grenade into a pillbox.

• What did you do to the snow clearing POWs that made them call you a pig dog @micra ?

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@micra said:
    Schweinhund !

I thought it was 'Achtung Spitfeuer'?

• @Wendoverman said:
    What did you do to the snow clearing POWs that made them call you a pig dog

POWetic licence @Wendoverman.

I’ve never given serious thought before to just what they were doing in our garden in deep snow! I always assumed they were there to do gardening but they’d have struggled to do any that day and, in my book, gardening ceases at the end of October and doesn’t start again until March at the earliest. Was going to cut the grass today but it’s too darned hot.

• I remember getting a few of those war comics as hand-me-downs and can remember a lot of the language quoted here with fondness (though I must have missed the "pineapple" edition).

It also reminds me of the style of that other comic genre - sport. I have long loved the way they got the crowd to voice necessary commentary and can remember Viz mimicking it in the '90s, with all that, "Wow! How did the fish-like keeper get to that?" stuff.

• I became quite good at understanding German when Sky was still in its early days and they used to have those dodgy German channels way down past all the English speaking ones

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Interesting that he comes straight in as number 2, but in Gaz (and, in this case, Lee Harrison) we trust etc. At least he has been playing football recently, unlike Anderson when he came to us.

What has happened to James Clark who came to us from Chelsea, has never had a squad number, but whose contract was renewed in June until December?

• An interesting and original question @Always_Wandering. Welcome aboard.

• He was given a six month contract to January I think.

I though he played quite well in the B team game that was broadcast last season.

• @Always_Wandering said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Interesting that he comes straight in as number 2, but in Gaz (and, in this case, Lee Harrison) we trust etc. At least he has been playing football recently, unlike Anderson when he came to us.

What has happened to James Clark who came to us from Chelsea, has never had a squad number, but whose contract was renewed in June until December?

I remember looking at his Instagram and in around April or so he appeared to have a broken shoulder or something, so he must be recovering from that?

• @micra said:
    An interesting and original question @Always_Wandering. Welcome aboard.

Thank you.

• @Always_Wandering said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

James has just posted on his Instagram that he's completed his first run-out for five months.

• @niebieski said:

James has just posted on his Instagram that he's completed his first run-out for five months.

Blimey he must be very "relieved"

• Is it just me for whom “having a runout” is another way of saying “taking the piss”

• Looks like it!

• Seeming that way. No wonder I’ve been getting some funny looks…..

• @DevC said:
    Is it just me for whom “having a runout” is another way of saying “taking the piss”

Maybe, "taking a piss" would sound better?

• Indeed. I thought the definite (?) article was probably a typo. Schoolboy humour is fine with me (my daughter reckons I probably watch Benny Hill repeats) and I quite enjoyed @DevC’s initial reaction. I even reduced his inevitable thumbs down by one.

• I am forever in your debt @micra . Yep "a" not "the".