Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ofoborh career on hold

Skysports news have reported that Nnamdi Ofoborh had a "red flag" appear on an ECG upon joining Rangers showing a heart issue.

Wishing him all the best and swift return.

Comments

  • Awful news. Hope hes okay

  • That’s no good for the young man. I like Nnamdi a nice man and lots of potential.
    I hope things are sorted to allow him to get on with his career.

  • Any talk of heart stuff is very worrying.

    But, Gerrard seemed fairly relaxed I thought in the way he worded things. Just saying he won't be around in the short term. Implying mid term it'll be fine.

    Here's hoping!

  • Wish him well, hope he gets all the care he needs, everything else can wait until after that.

  • Good that they caught it. I think what happened to Christian Eriksen will have made clubs even more hot on this kind of thing than before. Here's hoping he can continue his career.

  • Seems surprising an outfit like Bournemouth wouldn't have picked things up?
    But better late than never for sure.

  • Well done to Rangers for being thorough with their tests.

    Hopefully the tests will show nothing to worry about but if there is an issue it's so good that it was picked up now

  • Nothing but love for the guy. Hope he gets his life let alone career back on track. After what happened to Ericsson it’s a relief it was picked up.

  • God, that's gutting for the lad. Hope it can be sorted.

  • @Malone said:
    Seems surprising an outfit like Bournemouth wouldn't have picked things up?
    But better late than never for sure.

    TBH not really, one of my clients was at one of the big N.London clubs and the reason he came to me is that they don't look after their youth well enough! Amazing really given the funds slushing around the PL.

  • Glad they caught it, and hope Nnamdi can get his career on track. But most of all, wishing him the best of health!!!

  • Obvs agree with all the above. But what surprises me is that a top club like Rangers failed to pick it up when they did the pre signing medical. Guess post Ericsson heart protocols have been tightened?

  • It also raises questions about how good our medical screening is. Given Ofoborh came to us already nursing an injury which kept him out for most of his second spell, do we do more than a cursory examination? Presumably we didn't do a cardiology scan. Is it more thorough for full signings rather than loanees? Have we tightened it up post Eriksen?

  • edited July 18

    It raises questions we have no idea of the answers to but easy to make the dig. Fairly sure we have partnered with the kind of facilities and companies that ensures we are a lot better than we ever were. Hopefully Rangers can share the info at the appropriate time so the medical team can learn.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rangers have access to better facilities and are able to be more thorough.

  • Just because he has this condition now, doesn’t mean he had it previously. Without more information we can’t pass judgment on the medical teams of any prior club.

  • I had a long set of heart tests a few years ago now, just as an amateur sportsmen after an unforeseen situation after an event.
    Blood tests, ecg, normal and 24-48hr ones, echos, xray, treadmill stress tests and a couple of MRIs and even having the "muamba" condition seriously looked at (as well as having to wheel put elderly relatives for them to be tested too as its very often hereditary).

    That's just as an amateur on the NHS. So you can't imagine pro clubs don't do the above as absolute minimums.

    Would be interesting, with all due respect to Oforborh as this is his life and private info, what has been identified and what test did so.

  • Hope it was nothing serious, @Malone!

  • @aloysius said:
    It also raises questions about how good our medical screening is. Given Ofoborh came to us already nursing an injury which kept him out for most of his second spell, do we do more than a cursory examination? Presumably we didn't do a cardiology scan. Is it more thorough for full signings rather than loanees? Have we tightened it up post Eriksen?

    Rangers are a much bigger club than us and had actually signed this lad on a long contract , so I would think it was perfectly reasonable for us to rely on their medical checks.

    Do you really think we would have (or even should have) carried out detailed medical tests on the likes of Eze, Muskwe, Adeniran etc when taking them on loan?

  • @mooneyman said:

    @aloysius said:
    It also raises questions about how good our medical screening is. Given Ofoborh came to us already nursing an injury which kept him out for most of his second spell, do we do more than a cursory examination? Presumably we didn't do a cardiology scan. Is it more thorough for full signings rather than loanees? Have we tightened it up post Eriksen?

    Rangers are a much bigger club than us and had actually signed this lad on a long contract , so I would think it was perfectly reasonable for us to rely on their medical checks.

    Do you really think we would have (or even should have) carried out detailed medical tests on the likes of Eze, Muskwe, Adeniran etc when taking them on loan?

    I hadn't actually considered that we might not do medicals at all for loans , but when he's come already injured and insurance wise is both on a fairly low wage for a short period and isn't going to be Wycombe owned so very low risk it's possible I'd guess , no idea how often we do screenings for players as a matter of course.
    Without knowing at what level the issue is and not being surgeons it's almost impossible to know what is appropriate. Hopefully this will be another reminder to those in post to consider this properly, and hopefully he's ok, very difficult and a bit pointless speculating beyond that

  • @Shev said:
    Hope it was nothing serious, @Malone!

    Certainly a year of doubt, just for a super keen mid 30s amateur, so I can only imagine how it is for a early 20s Pro.
    But hopefully he gets the same reassurance I had in time that all ies essentiallly fine and to crack on.

Sign In or Register to comment.