Skip to content

Dom Gape ready to go for new season.

2»

Comments

• I'm rooting for Denmark as a true Wycombite.
    As when I was a young lad working in the furniture industry, many of the old boys would angrily recite the stories their fathers told them of
    when Welsh scabs were brought in by the wealthy factory owners to crush the great strike.

• I tipped Denmark for the semis and to go further than England before the tournament started, but I think after what happened to Christian Eriksen they're everyone's 'second' team now.

• @Thicketblue said:
    @micra Knowing the precision of your grammar and spelling (bordering on pedantry - which I admire), can I query your use of speech marks in the post above - I watched the first one to get to “know” him better. Surely, it should be inverted commas as in, get to 'know' him better?

Interesting @Thicketblue. Don’t think I’ve ever used speech marks/inverted commas in that way before - ie to indicate that I was interested in knowing more about Tafazolli rather than getting to know him personally. The nearest I get to that is in the context of ‘getting’ something such as a joke or style of music. I’ve never used either in that context and it didn’t even occur to me that inverted commas might be preferable.

Appreciate your comment. I have linguistic OCD as well as OCD generally, I’m afraid!

• I'm supporting Wales tonight and I'm sure plenty of other people in England are too.

• My favoured Premier League club has been Tottenham for many years, possibly since their last really successful season (?1961). Having a son-in-law and grandson who are gooners has tended to reinforce my ‘allegiance’ and I have long been an admirer of Christian Eriksen who really made Spurs tick. Such a relief that swift action saved his life.

• edited June 2021

You would hope that Simon Kjaer, who started the CPR, gets some kind of special award at the end of the tournament, but unfortunately this is UEFA we're talking about.

• We're split in our household, I'm Denmark and Mrs ValleyWanderer is Wales!

• Interesting! Mrs micra has ‘a thing’ about the Welsh for reasons that are obscure to say the least. In my early nervous days in the Met Office, one of my older colleagues was a very amusing Welsh guy who was like a kind uncle. That coloured my attitude, I think, together with those wonderful Male Voice Choirs.

And Shirley Bassey.

• Seeing as I'm about an 8th Welsh it's Wales for me... absolutely beautiful country to visit, when it's not raining, plus I also really like Cardiff as a city

• @micra said:
    Interesting! Mrs micra has ‘a thing’ about the Welsh for reasons that are obscure to say the least. In my early nervous days in the Met Office, one of my older colleagues was a very amusing Welsh guy who was like a kind uncle. That coloured my attitude, I think, together with those wonderful Male Voice Choirs.

And Shirley Bassey.

And Alan Phillip's, Geoff Anthony and Dylan Evan's.

• May the best team win, and may VAR not be needed. That is all I ask!

• Come on Wales!!!!!

• Why could UEFA.not have abandoned the game and awarded a draw rather than tell Denmark it would be a 3-0 loss if they did not play? Shameful.