Skip to content

Best England football song?

2»

Comments

• Echo and the Bunnymen were and still are one of the finest indie/new way bands to come from these shores.
    Iain Mac's voice was one of the most powerful and melodic you will hear from a rock band, before the 40 fags a day habit took its toll !!

• Echo was the band's drum machine when they first started out. He was big mates with Winston from OMD and Doktor Avalanche from The Sisters of Mercy. I wonder if there is a retirement home for obsolete electronic rhythm machines somewhere.

• Echo replaced by one of the best drummers of the that era as well. I cannot help but feel @micra is being disingenuous about his knowledge of such things...unless he is the same age as Partition!

• Once spent an evening in the company of Gordie Goudie who has been the bunnymens Rhythm Guitarist for a number of years, in a Glasgee boozer.
    Told me a few stories about Iain Mac and the lads, and they didnt dispel any alleged scouse character traits !!

• The legendary Bill Drummond was their manager in the early days and apparently once booked a bunch of venues around the UK for a tour, which, when you drew the routes between the venues on a map, formed the shape of a rabbit’s head. If I remember rightly, the band only realised something was up when having to do a lot of north/south driving for the ears.

• Great story @drcongo.

Wish I could claim disingenuousness @Wendoverman. I can’t. I’ve always listened to lots of pop and rock going back to the sensational and emotional impact (on me at least) of Paul Anka’s single, Diana in 1957. I’ve never got into the detail (personnel etc) to the same extent as I have with jazz and classical music. Earlier in the ‘fifties it was Lonnie Donegan with Rock Island Line and lots of Chris Barber.

• Ian Broudie produced some of their stuff before becoming the lightning seeds and bringing the thread back round to 3 Lions again.

• Clever of Ian Broudie to bring the thread back round to Three Lions @StrongestTeam. Yes, I know, I shouldn’t do it. Can’t help meself. Didn’t realise (or had forgotten) that Frank Spencer collaborated with the Seeds on that number in addition to his recording with David Baddiel.

• I think you will find it was Frank Skinner, otherwise it may have been 3 lions on my Tank Top if Mr Spencer was involved.

• What a much better world we would live in if it had been Frank Spencer…

• "Umm Betty, belting his balls, and Nobby dancing"

• Threw in Betty’s fella for a giggle. Hope I tickled one or two of you, if you’ll pardon the expression.

• @eric_plant said:
    Can anyone remember the Ant and Dec and James Corden abominations? Absolutely, and unequivocally terrible

Apologies if I've reminded anyone of them who'd managed to forget

I just discovered something worse.

• ‘Strewth! I watched the first 50 seconds. Where do I collect my medal?

• Horrific pair of grifters. Absolutely shameless.

• I think he got elected to be an MEP and is leader of UKIP in Wales, isn't he? I think even he was incredulous that people, when given a simplistic wingnut one policy argument would elect someone they know is completely corrupt to milk the system some more. Yet another example of grifters who used an appearance on Have I Got News For You to develop a nice little media career.

• He was a member of the Welsh parliament until recently, and he is acting leader of UKIP.