Skip to content

Wycombe players who've gone on to play at major tournaments

2»

Comments

• edited June 2021

If we keep playing 3-4-1-2 then he doesn't naturally fit in - unless we convert him to a wing-back, which I don't think he's suited to. I know we have used him centrally, but he's definitely at his most effective on either side of a front three - and when he played there for us we didn't really have good enough movement in the box for him to work with. Wouldn't be surprised if he has relegation clause anyway, which might take any decision out of our hands if a bid comes in.

• The most frustrating player of the season for me - he kept threatening but never really breaking through, like having something on the tip of you tongue and not being able to say it.

• edited June 2021

Having said that, I wouldn't put it past Gaz to convert him into a wing-back. I just think it worked with Fred because he's more physical and he was already very effective in terms of tracking back.

• So what position does he play. Wide in a 4-4-2? A formation we rarely use. He was not effective in the front 3 in a 4-3-3. He doesn’t fit the 5 at the back. He’s a frustrating enigma

• edited June 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    So what position does he play. Wide in a 4-4-2? A formation we rarely use. He was not effective in the front 3 in a 4-3-3. He doesn’t fit the 5 at the back. He’s a frustrating enigma

When he played wide right of a front 3 for us, it was usually Bayo or Samuel as the centre-forward - neither of whom is the kind of striker he'll have been used to playing with. People got on his case about his crossing, but a lot of the time the problem was the (lack of) movement in the middle, not the cross itself.

I also don't think being moved around quite a lot will have helped him establish any kind of rhythm - he played various roles in a few different systems.

But ultimately, sometimes a player is just a bad fit, and I think that's probably the case here.

• There was nothing wrong with his crossing tonight, laid it on a plate for their 3rd. If we can find a spot for him and he ucks like we were all hoping last season he'd be a stand out player in league one

• Clicks... not ucks !!

• edited June 2021

Yeh...most talked about player on commentary when came on in a positive way (and did well in previous games for Ireland)...saw him finding space, tracking back, going deep to recieve ball then sprinting forward to set up a good strike, great pinpoint cross and right in the box to dive low for last goal at the back post!...what else would he need to do in League One? Admitedly against Andorra..but they were winning for a lot of match!...he dramatically shifted the gears after it went 2-1 to ease Ireland's worries...and he can smile too!!! Just needs to score to show his grin! Isn't it just great though to have some internationals from Wycombe to watch!
    One to watch for: JJ injury call up for Wales?? He deserves it...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/welshfootballfans.com/eatsleepfootyrepeat/r26726hyjyncfmw2xp8yz4cgtbedd2-45654-w5wpk-frssf-ffcrc-3673z-mgkwh-kstlf?format=amp

• So we won't have any players at the Euros, but Bristol Rovers will ?‍♂️ Best represented EFL club is Luton with three.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    So we won't have any players at the Euros, but Bristol Rovers will ?‍♂️ Best represented EFL club is Luton with three.

Don't Cardiff have four at the Euros? Brentford and Norwich have at least 4 each as well and strictly are still EFL clubs until formally accepted by the Premiership.

Sorry for being pedantic, but I detest Luton being top of anything!

• Here's the EFL representative list. Using information from this season as the Euros are in this season.

Brentford 4
    Norwich 3
    Cardiff 3
    Luton 3
    Watford 2
    Bournemouth 2
    Stoke 2
    Bristol City 2
    Derby 2
    QPR 1
    Nottingham Forest 1
    Barnsley 1
    Swansea 1
    Charlton 1
    Doncaster 1
    Bristol Rovers 1

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    So we won't have any players at the Euros, but Bristol Rovers will ?‍♂️ Best represented EFL club is Luton with three.

Don't Cardiff have four at the Euros? Brentford and Norwich have at least 4 each as well and strictly are still EFL clubs until formally accepted by the Premiership.

Cardiff have three if you include the one being released (Jonny Williams), otherwise it's Luton.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Cardiff have three if you include the one being released (Jonny Williams), otherwise it's Luton.

The Athletic think different!

https://theathletic.com/news/wales-euro-2020-squad-list/yajly8jADOTj

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

The Athletic think different!

https://theathletic.com/news/wales-euro-2020-squad-list/yajly8jADOTj

Ah, it's because they've included Harry Wilson, who's Liverpool.

• I guess it comes down to where you draw the line, but for me the season is over after the last domestic/continental game - and the Euros take place in the off-season.