Skip to content

Knight, Adeniran or Muskwe?

2»

Comments

• Muskwee, Adeniran then Knight for me. Goalscorers ignite a crowd and tbh we haven't had many of them lately. If Denis can keep his spine in shape he would be a real force in L1 as if he wasn't when fit, in the Championship.

• Muskwe for me too, but I agree with @Malone and @Right_in_the_Middle that we also need to look for a new target man for when Uche can't play. He's spent a significant period of the last two seasons injured so we can't just cross our fingers and hope he remains fit all season. Bayo can't be expected to deputise for sustained periods either.

On paper you'd think Muskwe would be a very likely signing for us - and I'm confident Gareth can get it over the line - but a small part of me wonders whether Josh Knight might have a word in Peterborough's ear about Admiral and suggest they offer him a couple of years' contract in a double signing. Muskwe showed what he could do in the Championship towards the end of the campaign with us. Replicate that over a full season and his sell on value could mimic Toney's.

• Dennis for me, absolutely class I'm sure he'll have offers from the championship too...

• Damn it, @aloysius - I forgot that Josh and Admiral had played together a lot at Leicester. They’d make a superb double signing for Peterborough, especially as there will no doubt be a stampede to sign Johnson Clarke-Harris.

• edited May 2021

I wonder if Adeniran has stayed off the radar of other teams, as he had such a massive spell out of the team for us.

We know he was brilliant for us for short spells start and end of the season, but he also barely got near it for months.
    Hopefully that's in our favour.

And obviously that his fitness issues aren't a cause for concern long term.
    Although we have superb medical resources for a team our size.
    Who can forget "fixing" Kashket, from massive long term issues at 21, to barley a peep about them a few years later.

• edited May 2021

@Malone said:
    Although we have superb medical resources for a team our size.
    Who can forget "fixing" Kashket, from massive long term issues at 21, to barley a peep about them a few years later.

I know he had his own regime, but the management of Darius Charles' condition last season was absolutely first class as well. Can't have been many other cases like that in the lower leagues.

• @Malone said:
    Yes it is quite a bizarre opinion that Muskwe is a target man and Uche isn't.

Uche isn't the long ball target man, but he's still someone you play it into and he holds and draws fouls etc. I couldn't see him working out wide as such.

You can called it bizarre but it is my opinion. Most of Uche’s best play comes from getting the ball to his feet wider. He doesn’t hold the ball up enough as a target man for me and that Bristol City goal aside is rarely in the middle to get on the end of crosses. He hasn’t currently got the awareness to find a position. It amazes me how many times he runs under decent passes if he had stood still. Think he’s a decent attacking option from wider areas.

For me Muskwe does all these things better. You can, of course, disagree.

• I would take any one of them in an instant as they all offered us so much. However, if I had to choose one, it would be Dennis Adeniran. He looks different class to me and I think his ceiling is at a whole other level. Signing him permanently would be a massive coup.

The prospect of the Uche/Admiral partnership in League One does excite me. I will be absolutely over the moon if we can get hold of both of them!

• We need to score more goals. Statement of the bleeding obvious, I know, but without having checked (lazy) I seem to recall that quite a few of our victories in League 1 were by one clear goal. Of course, if Adeniran could add a few goals from midfield, that would be wonderful but I think the consensus is that Muskwe is favourite because he is a natural goalscorer. But he’s certainly not what we used to call a goalhanger. He does a helluva lot of good work from midfield positions.

• I want that player someone was going on about that Gareth was denied who would have saved us. He's got to be worth considering.

• Joseph David Wozencroft Pigott, a fellow Maidstonian, who has scored 47 goals in 137 appearances over the last three years at AFC Wimbledon. My understanding is that he wants Championship football and I think several clubs at that level have expressed interest. Big strong lad. Would definitely be this year’s marquee signing.
    Who knows.

• Muskwe for me..its goals that we struggle with so he would be a great addition whether that's league 1 or championship.

• @micra said:
    Joseph David Wozencroft Pigott, a fellow Maidstonian, who has scored 47 goals in 137 appearances over the last three years at AFC Wimbledon. My understanding is that he wants Championship football and I think several clubs at that level have expressed interest. Big strong lad. Would definitely be this year’s marquee signing.
    Who knows.

Even Watford were supposedly interested. That would have been strange, but he could definitely hack it in the Championship.

• Goal stats from Wikipedia. Caveat emptor!

• As others have said, we need goals, and players are harder to replace the further up the pitch you go. Knight was exceptional, but we have a lot of good defensive players. Adeniran is excellent and a little harder to replace, but I am still confident we can. Muskwe, however, really put defenses on their heels, and was a major reason for the dynamism we showed going forward at the end of the season.

• "Joseph David Wozencroft Pigott"

For a moment I thought that was a made up name. Then the penny finally dropped ...