Skip to content

FA Cup Final 20-21

2»

Comments

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Wasn't clear and obvious. Would have stood in every other league below. Glad for Leicester but would still rather be discussing/moaning about the refereeing decisions for years after than put up with this VAR ?!

Not sure the clear and obvious thing never applied to offsides. It's either offside or not. The fact it's done on the most marginal lines is horrible, but that's the way it has been all season.

I know, but it's still poo and as I said would rather be moaning or gloating about a referee decision for years. ??

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Wasn't clear and obvious. Would have stood in every other league below. Glad for Leicester but would still rather be discussing/moaning about the refereeing decisions for years after than put up with this VAR ?!

Not sure the clear and obvious thing never applied to offsides. It's either offside or not. The fact it's done on the most marginal lines is horrible, but that's the way it has been all season.

I know, but it's still poo and as I said would rather be moaning or gloating about a referee decision for years. ??

At least they have shown willingness to improve stuff as we've gone on.

The ref now viewing a monitor is much better than them just being told over an earpiece. It was outrageous arrogance from the Premier league not to start with that technique anyway.

And handballs they've massively improved. It was farcical early season, with way too many silly pens being given.
    And they've also improved it by taking out the automatic disallowing of a goal for any ball touching an attacker's hand.

The stupidest one I saw was I think when Harry Kane had been bundled over, someone smashed the ball against his hand from about 3cm out, it flew onto a Tottenham player who then scored. Then was disallowed.

Goals like Leicester's beauty today would have been disallowed early season for the totally accidental handball before it.

• @wwfcblue said:
    Irrelevant of VAR some very special moments for Leicester City and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha. The way the players celebrated with him once he got down to the pitch says it all about his families ownership of the club. He’s taken over his fathers mantle and kept the club moving forward. They are an inspiration to smaller clubs.

I agree. The club from top to bottom seem spot on. The interviews at the end and seeing the players celebrate with the manager and owner was brilliant.

At Everton we think finishing in the top 7 is a good season. Can't beat winning a trophy and under Rodgers I can see them being in and around the top 4 for years to come.

• Leicester are that strange phenomenon - a PL club that seems quite relatable. Some of it is just that they almost symbolically represent the rest of football in putting one over the rich six.

• While watching the game yesterday and reading about it online, I noticed nearly all media outlets saying that Jamie Vardy was the first player to feature in all rounds of the FA Cup.
    Amazing I thought and remember him tearing us apart in 2011.
    After looking up his Stocksbridge Park Steels exploits I realised he had never played below Level 8, thus had never appeared in the earliest round of the FA Cup.

• They’re pretty rich themselves of course @Shev but, as you say, relatable - not least because their counterattacking approach issues (mainly) spearheaded by a lone striker who went from embarrassing Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup whilst still a non-League player to full England international and major contributor to Leicester’s remarkable Premier League Championship in 2016.

Great to see so much support for Leicester on the Gasroom

• ‘is’ for ‘issues’ please!

• Understandably tough gig for Lineker, trying to hold it together for the post-match analysis. When he said: “My dad was at each of the four previous cup final defeats” it seemed to finally send him over the edge.

• I would love to see the semi finals of the FA Cup return to neutral venues, so that reaching Wembley is the ultimate goal. Then win the bloody thing.
    Take away the 4th spot in the prem lge, to qualify for the Champions league and give it to the FA Cup winners.
    No more 2nd string teams being fielded then, and even a glimmer of hope for a Championship club to make Europe.
    To quote the right honourable Edmund Monsoon, "It really is that simple".

• @wwfcblue said:
    While watching the game yesterday and reading about it online, I noticed nearly all media outlets saying that Jamie Vardy was the first player to feature in all rounds of the FA Cup.
    Amazing I thought and remember him tearing us apart in 2011.
    After looking up his Stocksbridge Park Steels exploits I realised he had never played below Level 8, thus had never appeared in the earliest round of the FA Cup.

Yes @wwfcblue, FA Cup Factfile, the ultimate source of FA Cup statistics, has had to correct a lot of media organisations and people over the past few days, saying that he has played in all 14 rounds. The number is 13, he has yet to appear in the EP round.

• @Shev said:
    Leicester are that strange phenomenon - a PL club that seems quite relatable. Some of it is just that they almost symbolically represent the rest of football in putting one over the rich six.

They do have billionaire ownership in fairness. And if I recall correctly pulled some shenanigans in the championship days.
    So they're not quite the plucky underdog some are depicting them as.

• I hesitate to bring up VAR again but, prompted by an Ian Baker tweet yesterday, I just want to say that those in favour of VAR seem to forget that the technology is not conclusive, it is a "best guess". We never see close-up images of the moment the ball is kicked, because the image would not be clear enough. "Hot-spot" technology, used in cricket, is probably unworkable for football. Similarly with the grid lines for offside positions, they are imprecise. VAR is guessing, so why is a VAR best guess better than a lino's best guess?

Cricket has a similar problem with DRS and recognises that the technology is not 100% accurate. As a result Umpire's Call is applied when the technology cannot rule conclusively on pitch, impact or hitting the wicket, staying with the the original decision.

Introduce a Referee's Assistant Call in football, if the offside is not clear and obvious, to the naked eye within seconds, then stick with the on-field decision.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I would love to see the semi finals of the FA Cup return to neutral venues, so that reaching Wembley is the ultimate goal. Then win the bloody thing.
    Take away the 4th spot in the prem lge, to qualify for the Champions league and give it to the FA Cup winners.
    No more 2nd string teams being fielded then, and even a glimmer of hope for a Championship club to make Europe.
    To quote the right honourable Edmund Monsoon, "It really is that simple

This makes total sense unless you’re the Chairman of one of the big six.

• To be fair I think it was the FA who wanted the semis at Wembley to help pay for the stadium...but totally agree with @ChasHarps . I know either City or Chelski will win the Champions League but I'm rooting for The Foxes to get second, the Hammers to secure European football and the Scousers, Spurs and Gunners at least left with a disappointing 'big six' season.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    Leicester are that strange phenomenon - a PL club that seems quite relatable. Some of it is just that they almost symbolically represent the rest of football in putting one over the rich six.

They do have billionaire ownership in fairness. And if I recall correctly pulled some shenanigans in the championship days.

Yes, I don't see any PL club as a true underdog with the money they all rake in. But I do find it hilarious that Leicester won the league and then the cup a few years later, taking away the birthright of the chosen ones.

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

Yes, I don't see any PL club as a true underdog with the money they all rake in. But I do find it hilarious that Leicester won the league and then the cup a few years later, taking away the birthright of the chosen ones.

It is a good reminder every so often that it is still a sport, and sport is meant to be unpredictable.

• I have to say reports about togetherness from the top down at Leicester does sound like a very familiar local success story...

• I think that’s what makes it easy to emphasise.

• Empathise even. Goodnight.