Skip to content

What Are Your 5 Standout Games?

13»

Comments

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Ed_ said:
    We still rolled out the Dambusters often over the next few years but that wonderfully witty terrace favourite seems to have fallen by the wayside too.

It still gets the odd airing now and then from those around at the time, though the kids of today don't particularly get it for some reason.

I would really appreciate a serious comeback attempt at this song! Still my favourite! I’d give anything to see us draw Slough at home in the FA Cup and absolutely annihilate them! Funny how derby’s / rivalries go - I genuinely feel nothing to MK Dons, don’t think of them as local or rival or anything but still can’t stand Slough. I even want my kids to win a bit more when they play summer tournaments at their new ground!!

• Id love Slough and Aylesbury to be as good as they were again at some point, proper rivals. Unfortunately can't ever see Aylesbury getting that high up the pyramid again

• Funny about derbys and local rivalries. I was born and grew up and Aylesbury and would occasionally go to Turnfurlong Lane to watch them in the late 60s early 70s, but Wycombe were my team and it seemed inconceivable that Aylesbury would ever play Wycombe as equals (I.e in the same league) (and I guess in reality it only ever was for one or two seasons).

Similarly Slough have only ever been in the same league as us for a handful of seasons (I think) but (for me) from around the mid 70s they became genuinely the team I most wanted to beat - and I agree with @username123, it would be great to thrash them in a competitive game again

• @wwfc_since_1993 said:
    1-0 win at Huddersfield in 1994 - day I became a Wycombe supporter for life!

Lincoln great escape 1999 - great finish to a great few weeks of excitement and being part of the travelling 3,000 was special!

Wimbledon Cup game 2001 - I can’t imagine there will ever be a game to top it for me!

Torquay 2014 - unbelievable day!

Plymouth away in the playoffs 2015 - had a really nice day down there beforehand and then special performance in a great atmosphere!

Honourable mentions for:
    Mansfield away in 2005, won 4-1 in the snow, less then 100 away fans there, freezing cold, still remember disbelief that game hadn’t been called off (only travelled from Midlands, couldn’t believe anyone from Wycombe hadn’t turned back).
    Also Ipswich away in 2019. Wasn’t sure about making the trip as quite heavily pregnant, but so glad I did and loved every minute aside from Jacobson’s penalty miss. Still my last Wycombe match 18 months on!

Interesting post @wwfc_since_1993, not least the reason why you were unsure about making the trip to Ipswich eighteen months ago. I know of only one other woman/lady/girl (?!) who posts on the Gasroom and have often wondered how many there are altogether. The more the merrier, I’d say, if that’s not too politically incorrect!

• I dont think anyone has mentioned yet ( forgive me if they have ) the amazing 1st round cup tie vs West Brom when we were non league and West Brom were managed by Ossie Ardilles .
    Tickets were like gold dust - my friend and I joined a small queue at about 4am , tickets went on sale about 9 or 10am . By that time there were thousands in the queue .
    It was the live Sunday lunchtime game on sky .
    Torrential rain .
    Crackling atmosphere.
    Hemmed in like sardines on the terrace .
    2 nil down .
    A great comeback, our first was a header from either Scotty or Creaser who rose like a salmon and Tommos goal was like slow motion in front of the terrace .
    Absolute bedlam on the terrace , similar to Coventry at home in the league cup and Lincoln away on the last day .

West Brom were so gracious , especially at their ground for the replay .

Truly wonderful wonderful memories ! !

• That was one of my 5!

Great to hear your memories though

• A young guy who supported West Brom was so impressed by the Wanderers (and no doubt our support) that day that he used to drive down to Wycombe occasionally when we had a midweek evening game. He used to join us on the terrace which is now the family stand and would happily join in with the jumping up and down to the “rhubarb” chanting which I think was a West Brim ‘thing’. Just can’t recall his name.