Skip to content

A message from Darius

Wonderful message from Darius on his Instagram. Actually made me a bit emotional. What an incredibly inspirational man. I hope he has some kind of future with Wycombe even if his playing days are over.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/may/darius-thank-you-for-all-your-support/

Comments

• Darius is an absolute colossus of a man.

He was an inspiration to me during some difficult times and it was through his charity work that I discovered the excellent The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse.

Mangoes all round.

• My word, what a touching note, and what a fantastic chap. He basically played for us one season, yet is a Wycombe hero.

• Bit dusty in here all of a sudden.

• We’re very lucky to have men of the stature of Darius who have played for the club and as @MindlessDrugHoover says it would be great to have his sort of inspiration especially for the younger players.
    I can see what GA is trying to create here

• Yes @MindlessDrugHoover, superb, quite emotional and a mark of the man. Wonderful. We were lucky to have him cross our path.

• Just read that. Wow. A great man and to read those words about our club has brought tears to my eyes.

• Got something in my eye

• That man needs a continuing role at this club, along with Bayo, whatever that may be. His life experience and who he is as a person as a role model to younger professionals is too valuable to lose.

• I love that man.

• What a man, and what a Club

• I don’t think I have ever been prouder of the club than I am now after reading that.

What a wonderful, inspiring piece of writing from a wonderful, inspiring man. (We need to add him to our Mount Rushmore).

But I hope everyone who works at the club and has been part of his journey reads it and feels just a little bit taller tonight. There really is something special here at the moment isn’t there

• Darius will forever be remembered as a club legend. He is absolute class.

• Wowser, from the heart, what a guy. You can just see why players feel WWFC is a special place to be right now.

I just hope that we get an opportunity to express our appreciation to this group* - players, ex-players, back-room staff - soon.

*for what they have given us this past 18months or so.

• I’ve supported Wycombe for over 40 years and I can’t think of a player who was with us for such a relatively short period of time (he only had 1 proper season) and left such a lasting impression on me.

His story is somewhere between Roy of the Rovers and The Natural.

Anyone who saw his video when he was confronting retirement and then following that story through to September 2019 when he signed again would have a heart of stone not to be moved.

The play off final and his joy was everything Wycombe Wanderers is.

And put all this emotional stuff to one side - he played fecking well for that historical season.

Darius I salute you. I love you. I miss you already.

• Although old and grey I've not been in the area long enough to contribute to threads about the Glorious past but I am proud to have been a ST ticket holder for the last 8 years. I think those seasons and the players who have passed through will also loom large in the Wycombe legend.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Although old and grey I've not been in the area long enough to contribute to threads about the Glorious past but I am proud to have been a ST ticket holder for the last 8 years. I think those seasons and the players who have passed through will also loom large in the Wycombe legend.

Ah a Johnny come lately.
    Welcome.

• Reading the statement again, it is so hard to imagine higher praise for a football club. It is pretty amazing stuff, and makes me even prouder to be a supporter, and to have had a player such as Darius grace our club too.

• Darius...legend

• It's also hard to imagine any other club being so supportive to Darius during that time.

Now that we have developed and established a somewhat unique "way" of going about things, thanks to the stability of recent years and the support and culture buy-in from the new owners, the club must ensure that we protect these values and never lose sight of them in the future, just as we never lost sight of the Frank Adams legacy.