Skip to content

Ainsworth holds contract talks - Players depart and extend

Comments

• Feel for Rocky in particular. I thought he had a great season and really hope he gets a good offer elsewhere.

Like Jombati last summer, it is shame to see players finish their time with us behind closed doors when they have served us well over several seasons.

• @wwfcblue said:
    Very sad to see Ryan and Darius leave. Ryan had a brilliant season before his injury and should count himself unlucky. My guess is Ainsworth will go with Stockdale and Anderson for the season and not sign anyone else.

Darius had a torrid 18/19 season and his career looked over before it had really started with us. In August 19 I started to read his Insta page and was so humbled by his thoughts that I persuaded myself to sponsor him for the 19/20 season, even though I doubted he would play much. What a story that turned out to be! Thanks Darius.

We never really got much of an opportunity to see much of the other players and they leave with my best wishes.

No mention of Pattison who is out of contract??

Will Adebayo hang up his boots? I guess so but would love to see him here in a mentor/coaching role with the B team or First team. What a signing and certainly not a gimmick, as we first all thought.

Great to see Anis on another year.

Would love to see Dennis and Admiral signed up over the summer. Josh maybe a step to far but Gareth always pulls one out the bag!

We now have 21 in the squad, including Anderson, Forino-Joseph and Linton who will not be Under 21 next season. Anis and Clarke remain Under 21

Slight correction here: due to Anderson, Mehmeti, Clark and Fornio-Joseph being born after January 1st 2000, they all count as being under 21, so we actually have a bit more space in the squad then said here.

• It's always sad to watch a fan favourite go. Allsop was caught in a unfortunate position and never really got out of it though. I'll always remember his save against Birmingham City though, and appreciate his brilliance throughout most of the season. Darius no real surprise, but he is such a lovely lad and I hope to see him apart of the club some way or another in the future. Good look to Cameron, Giles and Andronicos too, I wish them the best successes in the future.

• History will be very kind to Rocky. Unless/until we get back in the second tier, he is the keeper who helped get us there, and made the most appearances once there. His world class save against Oxford and long kick to set up Fred's penalty will warm many a chilly night.

• @thedieharder said:

@wwfcblue said:
    Very sad to see Ryan and Darius leave. Ryan had a brilliant season before his injury and should count himself unlucky. My guess is Ainsworth will go with Stockdale and Anderson for the season and not sign anyone else.

Darius had a torrid 18/19 season and his career looked over before it had really started with us. In August 19 I started to read his Insta page and was so humbled by his thoughts that I persuaded myself to sponsor him for the 19/20 season, even though I doubted he would play much. What a story that turned out to be! Thanks Darius.

We never really got much of an opportunity to see much of the other players and they leave with my best wishes.

Will Adebayo hang up his boots? I guess so but would love to see him here in a mentor/coaching role with the B team or First team. What a signing and certainly not a gimmick, as we first all thought.

Would love to see Dennis and Admiral signed up over the summer. Josh maybe a step to far but Gareth always pulls one out the bag!

We now have 21 in the squad, including Anderson, Forino-Joseph and Linton who will not be Under 21 next season. Anis and Clarke remain Under 21

Slight correction here: due to Anderson, Mehmeti, Clark and Fornio-Joseph being born after January 1st 2000, they all count as being under 21, so we actually have a bit more space in the squad then said here.

Next season on January 1st 2022 they would have to be Under 21, thus born on or after January 2nd 2001. If it was January 1st 2000 they would be Under 22???

• @wwfcblue said:

@thedieharder said:

@wwfcblue said:

Next season on January 1st 2022 they would have to be Under 21, thus born on or after January 2nd 2001. If it was January 1st 2000 they would be Under 22???

I don't know exactly how it works really, but I think I'm correct here. If they were born from January 1st 2001, surely they'd be 20 or under? I think for the 2020-2021 season (the one we just had), a player didn't count as being in the overall squad if they were born from January 1st 1999. So I think for the upcoming season, it would be January 1st 2000 for a player to be under 21.

• but will any of them own the training ground?

• You only have to have been under 21 on 1st January of the year in which the season begins. See here.

• Sorry, didn't see @thedieharder's most recent post - you're right!

• edited May 2021

Forget the goals ..just look at the twinkle toes. Just a reminder of what we got on the field with Bayo... https://instagram.com/tv/B_2pTtupmcy/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

• @blue67 what's missing is the "10 minute" clip when we kept it in the corner/s while defending a 1 goal lead season before last, much to the delight of the terrace.

• What I cannot understand is why Mehmeti is only got a 1 year contract. Surely he has proved himself unlike the other younger players from the B team. I would have thought we would have signed him for longer to protect a real asset.

• @davecz said:
    What I cannot understand is why Mehmeti is only got a 1 year contract. Surely he has proved himself unlike the other younger players from the B team. I would have thought we would have signed him for longer to protect a real asset.

Unless of course he did not want to sign a longer contract.

• @davecz said:
    What I cannot understand is why Mehmeti is only got a 1 year contract. Surely he has proved himself unlike the other younger players from the B team. I would have thought we would have signed him for longer to protect a real asset.

Perhaps the length is simply due to the extension clause in his original contract that we've now triggered, and there are more discussions planned.

• @wwfcblue said:

@davecz said:

Unless of course he did not want to sign a longer contract.

If I was his agent and we were both very confident of his untapped ability, I would advise him to sign a very short contract. If he progresses extremely well next season then the vultures will circle and his earning potential will rocket with teams being able to pick him up for nothing and Mehetmi receiving a bumper signing on fee.

• But wont Mehmeti still be under 24 ?
    Or does that not count, if you didnt come through that clubs academy ?

• I think a short contract works for both sides. It gives Mehmeti the real incentive to push on and improve on the areas of his game that still need work, particularly picking the right pass to play at the right time. He'll benefit from another season of understudying Garath McCleary, and I'm sure opportunities will arise for him to stake a claim ahead of him if he shows the right mental attitude. The incentive for Mehmeti, of course, is a high profile move at the end of the season or a substantially improved contract if he shows signs of reaching his potential.

• @aloysius said:
    I think a short contract works for both sides. It gives Mehmeti the real incentive to push on and improve on the areas of his game that still need work, particularly picking the right pass to play at the right time. He'll benefit from another season of understudying Garath McCleary, and I'm sure opportunities will arise for him to stake a claim ahead of him if he shows the right mental attitude. The incentive for Mehmeti, of course, is a high profile move at the end of the season or a substantially improved contract if he shows signs of reaching his potential.

Not sure it works that well for the club if he has a fantastic season ( hopefully he does) and walks away without us getting a fee.

• As he will be under 24 we would get a fee if he moves on after we offer him another contract, although the amount would be determined by an arbitration process if the two clubs could not reach an agreement.

• @Chris said:
    As he will be under 24 we would get a fee if he moves on after we offer him another contract, although the amount would be determined by an arbitration process if the two clubs could not reach an agreement.

I think any tribunal award would be minimal (if any) bearing in mind he spent all his youth career at Fulham Spurs and Norwich.

• @mooneyman said:

@Chris said:
    As he will be under 24 we would get a fee if he moves on after we offer him another contract, although the amount would be determined by an arbitration process if the two clubs could not reach an agreement.

I think any tribunal award would be minimal (if any) bearing in mind he spent all his youth career at Fulham Spurs and Norwich.

So, again the surprise we have only offered a one year.I know loyalty is a world you don't hear much in football but hopefully he will remember we saved his career when he was dropped by Norwich.

• @davecz said:
    we have only offered a one year

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that, it doesn't make it true.

Mehmeti had a one year extension clause triggerable by Wycombe Wanderers, we have triggered that. He might also have been offered a 50 year contract too which is currently under consideration. I doubt that we have offered one that long, and it won't become true just by me repeating it ad nauseam on a message board. Why are you getting so angry about something that you've made up?

• @mooneyman said:

@Chris said:

This is probably the most similar example from this helpful post, assuming Mehmeti has a very good season:

JAMES COLLINS

James Collins joined League Two club Shrewsbury Town as 21 year old striker in January 2011, having previously been an Aston Villa player (who made no first team appearances for Villa).
    Quickly establishing himself as a first-team regular, James appeared 66 times in the League for Shrewsbury between 2011 and 2012, scoring 22 League goals. In the 2011/2012 season, Shrewsbury won promotion and James was their top scorer.
    In the summer of 2012, only 18 months after signing for Shrewsbury, an out-of-contract James signed for Swindon Town, who themselves had just been promoted to League One.
    The PFCC decided that Swindon Town should pay Shrewsbury an initial compensation fee of £140,000.
    Additionally, further payments of £20,000 after 15, 30, 45 and 60 appearances (totalling up to £80,000) would be due.
    Swindon would also pay Shrewsbury 20% of any profit it makes from selling the player to another club at any point in the future.

• Happy to have Mehmeti even for one more year every opposition forum I read was full of comments praising his game and asking if their managers could sign him. I fully expected losing him to a championship side.

• Thanks for that @Chris, it is a very interesting read. I would still advise my "client" to only sign a one year contract, particularly if he is comparatively earning peanuts.

• For the avoidance of doubt, Mehmeti was indeed on a one year contract with the option of a one year extension which the club triggered a few weeks ago.

• For interest attached explains the process for tribunal if required. Its judgmental rather than formulaic.

https://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

• Far from being angry about Mehmeti, we should be pleased the club triggered the automatic 1 year.
    Like others say, it doesn't mean anything in terms of a longer deal, but we had to cover that bit off first.

• @drcongo said:

@davecz said:
    we have only offered a one year

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that, it doesn't make it true.

Mehmeti had a one year extension clause triggerable by Wycombe Wanderers, we have triggered that. He might also have been offered a 50 year contract too which is currently under consideration. I doubt that we have offered one that long, and it won't become true just by me repeating it ad nauseam on a message board. Why are you getting so angry about something that you've made up?

Sorry @drcongo - I’m struggling to see what your point is. I’m not angry . What have I made up?I’m just saying that I’m surprised we couldn’t move to more than one year contract. You do get on your high horse very easily. You need to chill a bit.

• Dave, Dave, Dave.....just because he's signed a one year extension that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't offered a longer one.

That's all. Calm down and enjoy the off season. It's only the first week