Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What player/s made you first fall in love with Wycombe Wanderers

I found this topic on the Derby County forum and it made quite an interesting thread as Rams
fans discussed their heroes.

So I will start of with Derek Harris, his pace and running at defenders captured my eye as a young lad,
but I must say it was George Borg and Terry Glynn that got me first gripped.

Β«13

Comments

  • For someone of my age I was a late arrival and didn't start watching Wycombe until the Martin O'Neil era, but Steve Guppy was as good as any player I'd ever seen - mad that he didn't get a ton of England caps.

    Simon Garner remains my favourite ever player though.

  • For me it wasn't a player, it was the whole experience. Walking from town to Loakes Park, taking up position down the side, reading the programme, hearing the Liquidator which meant it was nearly time for the match, the smell of pipe, cigar and cigarette smoke, hearing people swear without being told off, the slope of that pitch, the little hut selling stuff......all of it.

    I'd have been in love with it whoever was playing on the pitch.

    My first favourite player was John Kerr. I used to love Sean Norman as well. Standing where I did I used to get close up views of the crunching tackles he used to dish out.

  • Was Sean Norman known as Stan?

  • Ian Pearson, mid β€˜seventies, immortalised in Sun Soccercards after becoming top scorer for Millwall in 1977 - one of several teachers to play for Wycombe in those days. I wrote to him enquiring about his background and the circumstances which led him to leave sunny Devon (including a spell at Plymouth Argyle). I was impressed when I got a well written and quite lengthy reply talking about his background and (slightly surprisingly) his philosophy

    I too was impressed with Derek Harris (who mrs micra described as dishy). He was a good player in any case but, when he returned after gaining experience elsewhere, he was even better.
    Len Worley, Bernie Bremer and Johnny Hutchinson were also favourites.

  • Tony Horseman fantastic player & goal scorer

  • Hello, new to the Gasroom and this seemed like a good place to start. Mark West, Gary Lester and Anton Vircavs were the names I remember. Was also having a nostalgic moment when I realised yesterday was the 30th anniversary of our FA Trophy final v Kidderminster.

  • It was a moment, I’d been to a few games but this time I decided to stand in the terrace behind the goal.
    Jason Cousins received the ball to my left and charged past a couple of defenders he then pulled the trigger and launched the ball.
    My world slowed down and I’m sure I remember seeing the ball spinning as it flew on rails towards the top corner then β€œbang”” it wedged itself into the stanchion just above my head I literally felt the shockwave .
    If you look at the film you can see me open mouthed looking up.

  • @peterparrotface said:
    Was Sean Norman known as Stan?

    Yes Stan was Sean Norman's nickname.

  • I don’t remember much but I do remember that goal. Wasn’t there a similar one at Wembley. I’ve a vague recollection of Jason climbing up the barrier behind the goal in celebration.

    How could I have overlooked Bodger when listing a few of the players in my early days who made a big impact. Anton Vicvas (? spelling) also. His rapid early development into a very cultured and commanding centre back made a big impression.

  • Tony Horsman and Dylan Evans in 1974 ( I think)

  • Anton vircavs was and probably still my all time favourite centre half.
    In his first spell, he carried a very ordinary Wanderers team. Absolutely superb in the air, especially when attacking corners in the opposition box.

  • So so many. We can only quote the first few that come to mind. The list is endless.

  • @MorrisItal_ said:
    It was a moment, I’d been to a few games but this time I decided to stand in the terrace behind the goal.
    Jason Cousins received the ball to my left and charged past a couple of defenders he then pulled the trigger and launched the ball.
    My world slowed down and I’m sure I remember seeing the ball spinning as it flew on rails towards the top corner then β€œbang”” it wedged itself into the stanchion just above my head I literally felt the shockwave .
    If you look at the film you can see me open mouthed looking up.

    That was against Scunny on St. George's Day 1994. They got a dodgy late penalty to equalise as we were fighting for promotion

  • John Brandwood wasn't it?

    Didn't Simon Stapleton's old man get on the pitch at the end to have a "chat"?

  • From COTN: "Speaking after the game Martin O'Neill said "Scunthorpe have players who play good football but we completely outplayed them. They have got out of jail and the referee had a lot to do with it. It may sound like sour grapes but he made some mind-boggling decisions." Those decisions even prompted Simon Stapleton's dad to invade the pitch at the end of the game and attempt to confront the referee. He was eventually led away by Police and warned of his future conduct."

    Says referee: Mr M Brandwood

  • @ChasHarps said:
    Anton vircavs was and probably still my all time favourite centre half.
    In his first spell, he carried a very ordinary Wanderers team. Absolutely superb in the air, especially when attacking corners in the opposition box.

    I’ll just have to stick to Vic’s β€˜ouse!

  • In de middle of de fence.

  • @LX1 said:

    @MorrisItal_ said:
    It was a moment, I’d been to a few games but this time I decided to stand in the terrace behind the goal.
    Jason Cousins received the ball to my left and charged past a couple of defenders he then pulled the trigger and launched the ball.
    My world slowed down and I’m sure I remember seeing the ball spinning as it flew on rails towards the top corner then β€œbang”” it wedged itself into the stanchion just above my head I literally felt the shockwave .
    If you look at the film you can see me open mouthed looking up.

    That was against Scunny on St. George's Day 1994. They got a dodgy late penalty to equalise as we were fighting for promotion

    I thought it was earlier in my attendance at matches I’d been coming a few years by then

  • Pretty much the same as Eric, no player in particular, but just the whole match experience. Started as a 10 year old going with my brother, then a few years later on my own. Going up that little alley by the gasworks, then hearing the general buzz and going through those turnstiles in the corner of the ground, walking up round and then seeing the pitch.... oh, goosebumps just thinking about it !

    Happy and more simple times

  • If I was pushed, I’d go for Kevin Durham. Partly cos he looked a bit like Mick Jones in his longer hair Clash-era.

    Honourable mentions for Mark West, who I would see regularly refuelling like all top athletes at Beckfords Bakery in Desborough Road, and of course, Noel Ashford (who was probably the greatest but wasn’t here very long).

  • Anton Vircavs lives just round the corner from me - he's a plumber these days.

  • It would have to be Len Worley for me, vivid memories of standing in the bottom cow shed watching him whip in crosses from almost the corner flag having skipped past a couple of defenders.

    Closely followed by the spine of a great team
    John Maskell
    John Delaney
    Larry Pritchard
    Tony Horseman & Keith Searle

  • The FA Cup semi against Liverpool - I feel in love with that whole squad. The summer after that I was given a copy of Championship Manager and obsessively managed the blues. Never looked back.

  • The little lane off Lilly's Walk was the finest alley in the country that led to a football ground. All the Wanderers fans arriving by bus from surrounding villages and towns. The smell of the beer from the gate pub, you make your way up the lane, with the hordes of fans in light and dark blue bar scarfs, and could smell the dog rolls. Then Loakes Park in all its splendour is upon you.

  • Same as @Twizz except for Len Worley (I was too young for that particular legend)

  • @ChasHarps said:

    @peterparrotface said:
    Was Sean Norman known as Stan?

    Yes Stan was Sean Norman's nickname.

    Cheers, thought so but I only saw him at the end of his career at Chertsey and Chesham

  • No specific player for me although maybe it would be Mark West as a schoolboy as part of the successful High Wycombe schools team. I had enjoyed games at Loakes Park before then but these midweek nights seemed magical at the time and more relevant to a youngster than the adults.

Sign In or Register to comment.