Skip to content

Preston appoint new head coach

Comments

• I celebrated this like a goal!

• Great news for us. Thankfully the caretaker manager had a successful last 8 games.

• As I said in another thread. Gareth got offered the post but turned it down because his young family are settled in the area and because he loves Wycombe and is excited about the future.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    As I said in another thread. Gareth got offered the post but turned it down because his young family are settled in the area and because he loves Wycombe and is excited about the future.

Not sure he was ever offered the job. Preston’s stance was always, they would wait until the end of the season before making a decision.

• @davecz said:
    Great news for us. Thankfully the caretaker manager had a successful last 8 games.

If nothing else it's great to see that Gareth won you over in the end @davecz

• His own words @davecz. You don’t have to believe it. The point is that if Gareth had shown any serious interest, Preston would have waited for him.

• @Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:
    Great news for us. Thankfully the caretaker manager had a successful last 8 games.

If nothing else it's great to see that Gareth won you over in the end @davecz

Gareth never needed to win me over. I was always a fan but doesn’t mean I sometimes may not agree with everything he does.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    His own words @davecz. You don’t have to believe it. The point is that if Gareth had shown any serious interest, Preston would have waited for him.

This is really encouraging. If GA won't move away for one of his most beloved clubs, there are few jobs likely to tempt him at this point.

• There are few jobs of the right level within practical commute of both Reading and New Forest. IF (big if) Gareth and Dobbo are not prepared to move that leaves
    QPR - had a good season. No vacancy unless Warburton gets a better job
    Reading - had a good season - no vacancy likely
    Portsmouth - just appointed Cowley on permanent deal
    Bristol City - just appointed Pearson on permanent deal
    Bournemouth - too big?

Looking promising.

• @Blue_since_1990 - his own words? Clearly I’ve missed something. All I’ve seen is the positive words he said about Preston and his time there and honoured to be linked to the job but nothing that he turned down the job.

• @davecz said:
    @Blue_since_1990 - his own words? Clearly I’ve missed something. All I’ve seen is the positive words he said about Preston and his time there and honoured to be linked to the job but nothing that he turned down the job.

Gareth spoke to @Blue_since_1990 ’s son in a coffee shop and told him he’d been offered a job but has turned it down.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@davecz said:
    @Blue_since_1990 - his own words? Clearly I’ve missed something. All I’ve seen is the positive words he said about Preston and his time there and honoured to be linked to the job but nothing that he turned down the job.

Gareth spoke to @Blue_since_1990 ’s son in a coffee shop and told him he’d been offered a job but has turned it down.

Course Gareth would say that in a coffee shop !!!

• He did but as I say, you don’t have to believe it and I am pretty sure you won’t.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    He did but as I say, you don’t have to believe it and I am pretty sure you won’t.

Your right. Ainsworth is highly professional and very thoughtful and extremely careful what he says. So it certainly seems out of character and careless if he did as you say.

• Where’s me yawn emoji ?

• ? nearest I can get.

• @arnos_grove said:
    ? ?

Clearly no pleasing you. You moan when I have a pop at Ainsworth and now you’re not happy when I defend his professionalism.

• Got out of bed the wrong side @davecz? I was just helping @micra with his emoji options. On your coffee shop row, I have no opinion either way.

• I overheard him say it in a Marlow bistro

• @arnos_grove said:
    Got out of bed the wrong side @davecz? I was just helping @micra with his emoji options. On your coffee shop row, I have no opinion either way.

Nor me. Thanks for the zee zee motif. Despite including 160 national flags, my phone doesn’t run to that one. It was a bit rude to yawn but I had just worked my way through the Derby County discussion which I found fascinating, intriguing and potentially quite exciting. Whispered asides in coffee shops not quite so.

• edited May 2021

At the moment whilst he is happy here and well loved and supported any offer would have to be right in terms of size and project as well as fit. Dodgy owners who change managers often or hide behind people like Risdale aren't going to be the issue.

• Surely Gareth politely confirming to some random in a coffee shop that yes he'd been offered a job, is hardly some sort of earth shattering confidence breaking outrage?!

• Can Blackburn fire their manager already? I am going to miss the tension otherwise.