Skip to content

Charity Competitions - annual (virtual) awards dinner

sadly Covid has got the better of us this year. Not being able to watch games (well game) live has been a bit of a bugger, but worse news still, the annual charity awards dinner has had to be cancelled and replaced with a pared down zoom version. Ugghh.

My huge thanks again to all of you who were able to support this and hopefully occasionally get a smidgeon of entertainment from it. Between my and Steve's competitions, we have raised well over £1000 for worthwhile charities over the last three seasons - which I have to say makes me rather proud.

But enough waffle - here are the results of my comp - Steve to follow along a little later with his. I hope we are not all too drunk by then.

SCORE PREDICTION COMPETITION

It was really close to the end with scores level going into the final game. Congratulations especially to our winner for sticking to his guns to resist burning temptation for a late change of prediction of a final day Wanderers win knowing that a draw or defeat would cost him this prestigious title. Either that or he wasn't overly bothered....

So congratulations to our champion and indeed all-time record points scorer @MindlessDrugHoover . I understand Greek Tony is waiting with supplies on the street corner for you to celebrate in normal fashion. Congrats and commiserations to to our runner up who came so close but I am afraid its a @bigred87 cross against his title ambitions.

At the bottom, well lets be honest @StrongestTeam is pretty badly named, @railwaysteve hopes of the title came off the rails at an early stage and as for bottom place, well it seems our youngest entrants dreams of a career as a fortuneteller are dashed, I am afraid all that is left for @ryans daughter is a career as a British spy.

Pos Team Season Week Movemnt
1 Betfair 77 -4 0
2 Mindlessdrughoover 76 3 0
3 Big Red 70 -3 0
4 DevC 56 -3 0
5 Our Frank 42 -3 0
6 Wendover 36 -3 1
7 LX 35 -5 -1
8 Chris 32 -5 0
9 Holmer Blue 27 3 2
10 Micra 26 -3 -1
11 Forest Blue 21 -3 -1
12 Smiroludyblue 12 3 1
13 Mooneyman 10 -3 -1
14 Twizz 10 3 3
15 Bookertease 7 0 0
16 Manboobs 7 3 2
17 Alexo 4 -4 -3
18 Carrick Blue 2 -5 -2
19 Dr Congo 2 3 0
20 Forever Blue -1 3 0
21 Errol Sims -11 3 0
22 A40 -11 3 0
23 Commoner -28 -4 0
24 Strongest -53 -5 0
25 Railway Steve -58 4 0
26 Ryan's Daughter -59 4 0

Correct Scores

For those interested, the number of correct scores was as follows. Congrats to @bigred87 (again) and @Wendoverman for getting a good number of scores exactly right. The less said about those who went a whole season without a single coorrect score the better. You know who you are.....

1 Betfair 7
2 Big Red 6
3 Wendover 6
4 DevC 5
5 Dr Congo 5
7 A40 5
6 Mindlessdrughoover 4
8 LX 4
11 Twizz 4
9 Carrick Blue 4
10 Errol Sims 4
13 Chris 3
12 Forest Blue 3
17 Alexo 3
15 Strongest 3
18 Our Frank 2
14 Micra 2
16 Forever Blue 2
19 Commoner 2
20 Holmer Blue 1
21 Smiroludyblue 1
22 Manboobs 1
23 Railway Steve 1
24 Mooneyman 0
25 Bookertease 0
26 Ryan's Daughter 0

nearest to actual points

Several posters came really close to accurately predicting the total number of points obtained over the season (but not necessarily from the right games). Three way share of that title with that man @bigred87 close to the top again. Special mention to our bookmaker betfair, who did at kick off ultimately achieve the remarkable effort of predicting 46 losses in our 46 games.

Pts Diff
Chris 44 -1
Mooneyman 44 -1
Carrick Blue 44 -1
Big Red 41 -2
Manboobs 40 -3
Our Frank 49 -6
Twizz 49 -6
Mindlessdrughoover 37 -6
Holmer Blue 60 -17
Micra 61 -18
Wendover 63 -20
Smiroludyblue 71 -28
Forever Blue 72 -29
LX 14 -29
Alexo 73 -30
DevC 13 -30
Forest Blue 75 -32
Dr Congo 76 -33
Bookertease 7 -36
Betfair 0 -43
Commoner 102 -59
Errol Sims 103 -60
Strongest 104 -61
Ryan's Daughter 113 -70
Railway Steve 117 -74
A40 122 -79

That's all folks,. Another season. All being well, we'll be back next season by popular apathy and do it all again....

Comments

• edited May 2021

Remarkable that I predicted 75 points (just outside the playoffs) and Betfair predicted zero points. Truth was somewhere between the two. Thanks for an enjoyable competition Dev C...

• Thank you, she will comeback bigger and stronger next year!

• Nice one guys great effort raising that ??

• As someone with the lowest budget in the league to reach the playoffs is incredible. If only I had been fully fit or known my best predictions earlier in the season...

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Remarkable that I predicted 75 points (just outside the playoffs) and Betfair predicted zero points. Truth was somewhere between the two. Thanks for an enjoyable competition Dev C...

I can’t get my head round that table @Forest_Blue. I’m certain I would not have predicted 61 points ! There must be some other basis, perhaps the total number of points which would have resulted from individual (optimistic) match by match predictions. If so, another prodigious effort by @DevC. I get very confused as to which of the two competitions he and @railwaysteve are responsible for. They both do an excellent job which is much appreciated.

• Yes total points predicted by match per match predictions @micra. To the extent that any of this matters, the only ones that do are the score prediction (top one) and scorer (the one that Steve will post later. The other two tables are just for interest. While we split spreadsheet updating between us @railwaysteve and I try to coordinate as much as possible. See it as a joint effort between the two of us.

• @Wendoverman said:
    As someone with the lowest budget in the league to reach the playoffs is incredible. If only I had been fully fit or known my best predictions earlier in the season...

You’re playing @a40. You’ve no chance.

• Congratulations to all the winners! Looks like on my predictions we would have ended up 7th - just outside the playoffs.

@DevC and @railwaysteve - thank you for organising this competition again and also kudos for the amount you've raised so far for the charities.

• Apologies to all. It was perhaps a mistake to plan a holiday immediately after the end of the football season.

The top four positions in the Goalscorers Competition remained unchanged as none of the top four had Fred Onyedinma, Jason McCarthy or Gararth McCleary as scorers.

Many congratulations to @a40 who takes the Title - Most Consistent Forecaster - in our first Championship Season.
    Congratulations to @Erroll_Sims and @SmiroludyBlue who were close.

A special mention for @StrongestTeam whose made the bravest final day prediction - I am sorry that it didn't work out.

@LX1 also gave it a good go and had both Fred Onyedinma and Garath McCleary to score but was subject to a 10 point deduction, still leaving him with plus four points for the game.

I have put those who finished on equal points in equal positions, and will havea rule to cater for those possibilities next season. I think it will be longest sequence of correctly predicting a goalscorer, with most points in that sequence as a final tie breaker.

Final Goalscorers Competition Table

Current Position Forecaster Total Points Points this change Change in Position
    1 @A40 84 0
    2 @Errol_Sims 78 0
    3 @SmiroludyBlue 73 0
    4 @MindlessDrugsHoover 59 0
    5 @micra 54 1
    5= @bigred87 54 7 5
    7 @railwaysteve 52 -3 -2
    7= @our_frank 52 0
    9 @mooneyman 50 0
    10 @Commoner 45 1
    10= @ForeverBlue 45 7 4
    12 @DevC 44 0