Skip to content

Match day thread: Middlesbrough

12346»

Comments

• Has there been much petulance, aggression or cussing when a teammate misplaced a pass? If there has been, I must have missed it. One of the remarkable things about this season has been the complete lack of it, while being bottom of the league for so long.

I wonder what your opinion might be if that team started poorly next season with ‘smiles on their faces’? I think I can guess.

Looking forward to signing some YouTube ‘pranksters’ during the summer and maybe chopping in Gareth and Dobbo for Chris Evans and Kris Akabusi.

• @aloysius said:
    I will say this gently, for I don't want to get some posters' blood pressure up needlessly. But having thought about what made yesterday's performance so special, I do think a big part of it was that we had 11 players on the pitch who looked like they were enjoying their football. Big smiles on all their faces. No petulance, aggression or cussing when decisions went against them or a teammate misplaced a pass. It meant we played with positivity, from the goal line to the forwards. Yes, the pressure was off us, which certainly helped. But I do think I prefer to watch a Wycombe 11 all playing with smiles on their faces, even if maybe a case could be made for one or two other players in the squad being technically better footballers.

I take your point but Roy Keane played with a face like a smacked arse and he did alright

• And Tommy Doherty is one of my favourite ever Wycombe players

• What a thoroughly enjoyable performance yesterday. Great performances across the pitch and a great attitude all around. That attitude is a rare thing and needs to be cherished.

So pleased for Jason McCarthy on scoring and becoming a regular after a tough start to the season in various positions. Also really enjoying watching Ryan Taffazoli play. Get him on the pitch more next season with Stewart and we are set at the back. His stepping forward and pass to Fred for the first goal was almost Alfie Mawson esque.

Finally really hope that was the last game behind closed doors. I know some want to ban talk of if onlys and what ifs but I really missed going to games and think we would have stayed up with crowds cheering our incredible team on.

• I read it as a dig at Mehmeti and Horgan…

But actually agree it’s been a real pleasure to see how we’ve approached these games in such a positive way

• So heartening to see that the majority of posters on the Gasroom and even on Facebook are treating relegation in such a positive and realistic manner. There can’t be many clubs whose fans would be feeling so optimistic after seeing their team go down.

• Cheery, cheesy ditty to wake up to ! Thanks @LX1.

Didn’t notice that many smiling faces yesterday but Fred’s was certainly one of them - justifiably so as he seemed to be back to his brilliant best and it crossed my mind that if he gets angry (which Bayo reckons is when he performs at his best) he’s probably going to attract a few wealthy suitors.

• @Right_in_the_Middle Agreed re Tafazolli - he was flawless yesterday and my MOTM in amongst the hottest competition.

@micra I am concerned not just about Fred, but about a few others whose performances might make them targets for Championship clubs that we can't fend off. Top of my worry list in addition to Fred would be Ikpeazu (who seemed to be improving his link-up play noticeably each game) and Stewart. Whilst I'm also hopeful of signing Muskwe, I'm a bit worried that his end-of-season purple patch might see some bidders from higher up the league, too.

• @bookertease said:
    I read it as a dig at Mehmeti and Horgan…

But actually agree it’s been a real pleasure to see how we’ve approached these games in such a positive way

Must say both are slightly mean of mien.
    But what a pleasure, as you say, watching recent games has been.

• @bookertease said:
    I read it as a dig at Mehmeti and Horgan…

Maybe Knight too.

• In the spirit of positivity I shall not single out players. But I will add to the fears of others about losing Fred, Ikpeazu and Stewart this summer, and add Thompson to the list. I wouldn't begrudge any of them the chance to stay in the Championship if the chance arose - they have all demonstrated this is their natural level - but I do hope they will stick around for what will certainly be a fun campaign next year in High Wycombe.

• Everything is positive despite relegation.

Whether home crowds would have helped us stay up is one of the big what ifs. Would it have helped more away teams boot us as well?

• Teams at away games i should say.

• The influence of crowds is interesting. Personally I think it only forms a small part the advantage of playing at home. We'll know more once this season's numbers have been crunched.

• Obviously the biggest influence on next season will be whether or not we can retain the manager. The great end to the season has hopefully encouraged GA to want to stay. It must also have been noticed by one or two chairmen - if a mid/low champ or big lg1 team have a vacancy, hard to see why you wouldn’t want to at least talk to GA. I’d be most worried about Preston, Blackburn, Bristol City and Pompey and don’t quite understand what’s happening at Hull. Hopefully GA would give each a polite thanks but no thanks though.

As for players likely to be one or two players offered a chance to stay in Champ I suppose. The core of a decent lg1 team is there and remember we still have Gape to come back in who has hardly featured this season.

• Is it me or have the close season Conjecture Games started early?

• I don’t think Stewart will go anywhere, had his fingers burnt before and seems to value the family aspect more than most. Ditto Fred he knows what it is to be loved vs ostracised.
    Thompson moving on is my fear. His family are in Nottingham and there are several East Midlands Championship sides who would benefit from his tenacity.

• Given a chance when released...gets a promotion and a chance to play in The Championship with a well funded team with good morale...popular with fans. Yeah, Thommo will be off when Mansfield come calling.?

• Yeah, Mansfield aren't in the Championship

• It would take something special to tempt our key players away i think.

• Excluding the first game of the season, was this the only time all season we were out of the bottom 2?

• @bookertease said:
    Excluding the first game of the season, was this the only time all season we were out of the bottom 2?

Pretty sure we were above Derby and Wednesday briefly in the autumn

• @floyd said:

It would take something special to tempt our key players away i think.

Really? I genuinely don’t think, and I wouldn’t condone, any of our players wanting to play at a higher level again and take a bump In wage that would probably come with it.

I would say that nearly everyone in our squad has earned that right

• I agree @TheDancingYak that all of them deserve another chance at a higher level, and I wouldn’t begrudge them that chance. But, I think they’re aware they’ve got something special at Wycombe, and a decent chance to go straight back up next season. Hopefully that counts for something.

• Sorry eric

• At the start of the season I would have been happy to finish 4th from bottom on the assumption that if a team get a 15 point deduction for irregularities we would remain in the Championship. I still believe this could happen ??

• @johnthehair said:
    At the start of the season I would have been happy to finish 4th from bottom on the assumption that if a team get a 15 point deduction for irregularities we would remain in the Championship. I still believe this could happen ??

4th bottom would have stayed up anyway?

• My mistake

• Watching the highlights of the 1997 Chelsea v Middlesbrough FA Cup final on BBC1 reminds me how remarkable it is that we just thrashed Boro 3-0 in the league.