Skip to content

Managers gone today

Comments

• FYI @LX1, when you copy and paste a link (anywhere not just the gasroom) everything after the question mark can be deleted. Knowing that has made links I share so much shorter and more usable.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain why but I think the bit after the ? is just formatting or tracking info.

• Good post(s) @micra - RC and GA are both very forthright people, so I doubt there would have been anything in the now infamous email which had not already been said in person.

• @Twizz said:
    FYI @LX1, when you copy and paste a link (anywhere not just the gasroom) everything after the question mark can be deleted. Knowing that has made links I share so much shorter and more usable.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain why but I think the bit after the ? is just formatting or tracking info.

99% of the time this is true, and yes, most of that extra stuff after the ? is just them trying to spy on you.

• Noted @Twizz @drcongo cheers. I have to confess complete ignorance of these things. I thought it would just be a picture of Mr. Miserable

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Someone placed a monkey on me against my will in Marrakesh, took a photo, and demanded payment for the privilege.

Hope that helps.

I've got an image of you as Indiana Jones, swigging whisky, thinking Marion has perished

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2021

@floyd said:
    I was once chased out of a town square in Ecuador by about a dozen angry monkeys. None of them got on me tho...

...how did this end?

(excellent to hear the word 'dozen' used. Been unfairly phased out imho (I voted remain just in case anyone gets the wrong idea)

• @LX1 said:

@floyd said:
    I was once chased out of a town square in Ecuador by about a dozen angry monkeys. None of them got on me tho...

...how did this end?

(excellent to hear the word 'dozen' used. Been unfairly phased out imho (I voted remain just in case anyone gets the wrong idea)

A few scraped knees, at least one smashed iPhone and lots of amused locals.

• You've got a US teen film there ;-)

• @floyd said:

@LX1 said:

@floyd said:

...how did this end?

A few scraped knees, at least one smashed iPhone and lots of amused locals.

Lincoln away 99?

• I once took on a adult male baboon with a discount store pamphlet

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I once took on a adult male baboon with a discount store pamphlet

At Layer Road in that FA Cup tie in 1996?

• @DevC said:

Ancient Chinese curse* against their worst enemy - "may you live in interesting times"

I'd far rather have what we know and what has produced amazing success.

*- (actually thats a common misconception. No such phrase in China. Apparently made up by Neville Chamberlain's dad!)

I actually thought that was Boris Johnsons's next election slogan ?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

? Strangely enough after they blocked the exit I was off across the pitch as fast as my legs could carry me. Although I did shout wankers as soon as I was at an appropriate distance

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

If ever you want an argument against VAR, it's that it would have denied us that exquisite moment; probably the most offside goal I've ever seen allowed to stand.

It literally caused so much trouble the military police and their alsatians had to come in and restore order.

Imagine if some joyless bore miles away had ruled it out

• Nicky Butt has stormed in at 1/2 to be the next Preston manager with Ainsworth now 4/1

• @Kim_il_Swan said:
    Nicky Butt has stormed in at 1/2 to be the next Preston manager with Ainsworth now 4/1

Someone must have lumped on 50p!

• @HomerLone said:

@DevC said:

Ancient Chinese curse* against their worst enemy - "may you live in interesting times"

I'd far rather have what we know and what has produced amazing success.

*- (actually thats a common misconception. No such phrase in China. Apparently made up by Neville Chamberlain's dad!)

I actually thought that was Boris Johnsons's next election slogan ?

I think Bozza is going for 'Greed, Capitalism and the Flag!'

• Much as I would love it NOT to be Gareth...but Nicky Butt?

• For Preston to get Ainsworth, if they actually want him they'd need to get their approach right. He's talked publicly a few times about jobs like the Huddersfield one being given to the Cowley's then fairly quickly being taken back. He'd have little interest without a sound project. The things he'd be leaving are the environment he's spent so long building and almost total control, despite what some people are reading into RCs announcements.
    He might not need a huge budget but would anyone give him enough time to weed out those in the squad with attitudes and work ethics that don't suit.
    He'll have big decisions to make if an offer ever does come in, down to the environment and offer, but he'll be realistic and also consider how he thinks a few results going the wrong way for us at the beginning of next season would be received.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Much as I would love it NOT to be Gareth...but Nicky Butt?

Preston have made good use of Utd's youth cast offs over the years. Butt has been senior to that for 8-10 years as well as being a "name" Risdale would love that combo.

• The interesting thing is does Butt want to be a manager or a coach because it looks like he could go to Derby with Rooney or go to Mickey Mouse football in Miami with Beckham. I do agree with @StrongestTeam, Risdale because of a big ego , would love a name.

• edited March 2021

I think the move for the Championship is going to continue to be towards foreign managers, and it is hard to blame the clubs. Apart from Huddersfield, the other five clubs with a continental European manager currently are Norwich, Watford, Brentford, Barnsley and Reading, or to use their collective slogan "Five of the Current Top Six".

That being said, it must be frustrating for GA to keep getting passed over. Especially if it ends up being Nicky Butt with his zero games of managerial experience in the EFL.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

I’ve got to ask, why did the baboon have a discount store pamphlet?

• And which discount store was it?

• Has anyone been reflected placing their monkey on a Butt?

• Latest odds put Butt and Ainsworth in 3rd and 4th place. Grant McCann and Joey Barton are the new favourites for the Preston job.

• Barton now favourite.... must be because he's doing such a great job at Bristol Rovers !

Without checking I think he's only won 2 games and lost the last 4

• Rovers will probably pay Preston to take him off their hands!

• The odds are all over the shop now. Butt is still the favourite but Roy Keane has appeared from nowhere and pushed Ainsworth into 5th place. Preston fans must be hiding behind the sofa hoping it doesn't come down to either Barton or Keane.