Skip to content

Squad list - no Darius?

edited February 2021 in Football

Chairboys Central (now renamed?) just Tweeted the current registered squad - no Darius or Giles Phillips. Seems a bit odd.

Comments

• I suppose it makes sense to leave a gap. Presumably if they can add a newly signed player, they could also add one of these down the road if they needed to.

Minor point, but any idea why would Thompson not be a "home grown player"

• surely the biggest news from that is that Neath-born Alex Samuel's middle name is Kinloch.

• He's not been in the squad this calendar year, so seems they've left a gap just in case a free agent becomes available.

• Some epic full names on there!

• Has Darius left the club or moved into a coaching position? . If he’s left I thought a message of thanks on the website might have been appropriate.

• He hasn’t left.

• Yes I spotted that.

A couple of other unexpected gems being that Nnamdi's first name is perhaps unexpectedly Nathan and the sheer length of Nnamdi and Dennis's names. Perhaps the one advantage of no fans being in stadium. "give me an N ......"

As a complete aside, striking that Alex Samuel's middle name is, he is still way behind in effect compared to former Arsenal Goalkeeper Bob Wilson's whose middle name is....................................Primrose!

• @JohnBoy said:
    He's not been in the squad this calendar year, so seems they've left a gap just in case a free agent becomes available.

I'm wrong, got January confused with December.

• I'm just sad that Josh doesn't go by Michael Knight. And isn't the kit man.

• Daryl Horgan's middle name being Jeremiah is a bit of a surprise too.

• Where's Mehmeti?

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    Where's Mehmeti?

On page 2 with the U21s.

• Seems a bit of a shame for Charles' Wycombe career to be in effect ended by being binned from the squad list?!
    Presuming nothing else is going on?

• @floyd Missed that, must be down to age and eyesight......or just plain stupidity

• Interesting to note the youth don't smoke home grown. Times change.

• So how does this work if they haven’t actually left the club? Do we still pay them for the duration of Ty sir contracts?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    So how does this work if they haven’t actually left the club? Do we still pay them for the duration of Ty sir contracts?

Oh yeah, you aren't getting out of paying someone's contract by not putting them in the squad.

• Presumably this "having players under contract, therefore being paid, but not in your EFL/Premier League squad" is actually quite common - just not for us.
    Didn't we manage to get Aaron's on loan last year because he thought he'd be in Newcastle's squad and then wasn't. Similarly Chelsea loan out loads of players, but probably have loads more that don't get loaned out so just sit on their books getting paid but don't play.
    Personally I have no issue with us seeing out Darius' contract but having him not in the playing squad. He probably doesn't train - but I wouldn't be certain - but I bet if he's at the training ground his input is valuable, likewise Bayo and Blooms.

I just hope we get at least one last chance to see all these players who have served us this season - and last - to be able to convey our thanks for getting us through. We haven't won as many games as we'd like but the hope has always been there ...

• Would it be stretching things to say that we haven’t won (or drawn) as many games as we deserved to?

• We could have, should have but for a number of reasons haven’t but we are still in the hunt.

• Legendary local journalist Ian Murray Baker has a strong middle name.

• So what is the most famous case of someone using their middle name as their first name? Paul McCartney?

• If we're talking middlenominative determinism, Boris Richard Johnson has to be up there?

• Al De Pfieffel uses Boris.

Can’t think of anyone more famous than the PM

• Kevin Keegan's Christian name was Joseph.
    Aaron Elvis Presley, interestingly there is an Aaron Pressley playing for Brentford.

• Pretty sure Elvis’s first name was Elvis.

Orson Welles was really George and Rudyard Kipling was Joseph. Damn good at making cakes though.

Little known fact is that Johnson’s real first name is actually “that”. His middle name is apparently “wanker”.

• Former England keeper Charles Joseph John Hart

• If Darius is done he deserves a statue (well something anyway). If any one player summed up last season it was Darius. His story is an absolute inspiration and I hope he rightly remembered as a Wycombe legend for years to come - despite his limited tenure in the team.
    God bless you Darius

• Wesley Darius Donald Charles uses one of his middle names which wraps up this little mystery once and for all