Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• If we had a goal disallowed in the same circumstances you and other posters would be complaining about it for years

• Isn’t the underlying point about all this bleating about decisions because we have had an abnormally larger share of goal-related decisions go against us as opposed to for us this season, such as to have attracted the attention of neutral football pundits (e.g on Quest) and not just us with our blue tinted specs on? A good 4 or 5 happened before Xmas, and we have another couple this week alone. I’ve lost track of the total number that have been either marginal, or just plain wrong, that have gone against us, vs those that have gone for us, but it’s not close to evening itself out across the season, and will also be talked about for years to come.

Sorry, Mr Couhig, Sir.

And while I’m at it, we ARE a small fish in a big pond, I am thoroughly enjoying having this historic season in the Championship, punching above our historical weight, I’m fully expecting not to be there next season, but I’d love another shot at it, with better preparation, sometime in the near-ish future.

• Great post LeedsBlue, agree that we’ve had a disproportionate number of decisions go against us, and crucial decisions at that.

• @LeedsBlue Well said on the "Little Wycombe" angle. I do get what Rob Couhig is driving at, trying to eliminate any idea of defeatism, but the facts are the facts and the manager and others should feel free to state them, if they wish.

As for, "If we didn't expect to stay, why bother to go up?", erm ... Because one season in the Championship is better than none? To give us a foothold for further success? To avoid the existential threat of being in the Third Division this season? To test ourselves against bigger clubs and better players?

On your first point, I made the mistake of watching the highlights from the first Millwall game last night with JJ's corner ruled out. Only Dean Ashton and the linesman saw anything wrong with that. Fuming.

• @our_frank said:

As for, "If we didn't expect to stay, why bother to go up?", erm ... Because one season in the Championship is better than none? To give us a foothold for further success? To avoid the existential threat of being in the Third Division this season? To test ourselves against bigger clubs and better players?

This comment by Rob Couhig really made me wince when I heard it. I think I can see what he is getting at but it was horribly worded. Firstly no team has ever turned down a promotion like this and secondly no team can ever expect to stay up.

We deserve some luck tomorrow after remembering that horrible JJ corner decision

• Re the ‘why bother to go up’ I put this down to a lack of appreciation of jeopardy’ in football. If your sporting hinterland is one where teams never fear demotion or indeed the elation of promotion from minor leagues (as in US team sport) why would you understand it.
    Bit like presuming the football ‘game day experience’ can be built around the quality of the food concessions.

• Has anyone calculated what the solidarity payment would be should we not avoid the drop?

• Feel for you guys. It's normally us on the wrong end of refereeing decisions and it happens just about every damned game. Against you last Tuesday we finally got the rub of the green. Horgan was a mile onside. With regard to the 2 penalty claims, I think the ref got them both right. The one he gave was a penalty, the one he didn't give wasn't IMO. We struggled, like I knew we would. Wycombe love to get the ball into their opponent's box at every opportunity and play the pressing and harrying game. We have yet to work out how to play well against teams like Rotherham (who did the double over us this season) and yourselves. You have the smallest budget in the division and cut your cloth accordingly. IMO you deserved to win the game but it's goals that count. I hope you can score enough to make a fight of it. Survival isn't going to be easy for you, especially if you keep getting perfectly good goals ruled out. Good luck this weekend.

• Thanks @MadAmster I tell you when it finally starts to 'even out over the season' for us...we'll easily survive! :smile:

• One of you passed comment on our shirts. They are actually our 3rd strip. Released late September in time for October's breast cancer month. 10% of all sales was donated to breast cancer research and it was immediately a success and has become our biggest selling 3rd shirt ever. It's also a lucky one for us. The Blue away shirt has been worn twice and delivered zero points. The white home has has had 20 outings and delivered 19 points. The pink job has had 7 outings and given us 15 points.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Thanks @MadAmster I tell you when it finally starts to 'even out over the season' for us...we'll easily survive! :smile:

We had a 1-0 defeat recently. Gregory got the ball just inside our half, a defender wrapped both arms around him and threw him to the floor. Nothing given. 3 seconds later the ball's in the back of the net......

Having said that, I'm a ref myself and we've had 2 good uns all season. Last Tuesday's was the first to appear to be in our favour.

• Great initial post @MadAmster (intriguing username!) but, being old and easily confused, I did struggle a bit to understand the sequence of events which you described in the first paragraph of your last post. I think I finally got the picture. The ball was in the Derby net.

• @MadAmster
    A bit off topic, what were Derby fans opinion of your former and Wycombe's greatest ever keeper Martin Taylor ?

• @MadAmster I must say though (and the fact I am originally from Nottingham has no relevance) you did look very poor. I assume we dragged you down to our level?

• Interesting that an opposition fan sees what some of our own fans refuse to acknowledge, especially as he is also a referee.

• He's acknowledged 3 things:

1) the goal disallowed for offside should have been allowed. I haven't seen one person claim otherwise

2) the penalty we got was indeed a penalty - again, who is claiming otherwise?

3) the penalty claim we had for a potential foul on Fred was not a penalty - I actually disagree with him on this point, as so I suspect most Wycombe fans. I thought it was a penalty

What exact was it you were referring to when you said he sees what some of our own fans refuse to acknowledge?

• Don't worry everyone...it's nearly the weekend and no doubt a new disastrous mistake/excellent officiating incident we can all disagree about is on it's way! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:
    Don't worry everyone...it's nearly the weekend and no doubt a new disastrous mistake/excellent officiating incident we can all disagree about is on it's way! :smile:

Indeed, and I’m glad to see that you have retained a sense of perspective (not to mention a sense of humour).

• @eric_plant said:
    He's acknowledged 3 things:

1) the goal disallowed for offside should have been allowed. I haven't seen one person claim otherwise

This is the Gasroom. Rest assured that one regular poster on here did dig themself an ever-deeper hole in trying to convince us that it was indeed offside.

Wouldn’t have it any other way!

• @HCblue you were arguing something along the lines of it wasn't "clear" weren't you?

• Interesting right now reading the comments from some of the Derby fans on the ‘standard of officiating’ in our league, after apparently having a perfectly good goal chalked off tonight. They’re not a happy bunch.

• @Malone said:
    @HCblue you were arguing something along the lines of it wasn't "clear" weren't you?

Yup.

• edited February 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    Interesting that an opposition fan sees what some of our own fans refuse to acknowledge, especially as he is also a referee.

That's an odd appeal to authority for someone who is pretty quick to question or criticise referee's decisions.

• @glasshalffull said:
    The law says that a player can be offside if he is ‘Preventing an opponent playing the ball by obstructing his line of vision.’ Admittedly that would be a harsh interpretation in view of Allsop’s positioning, but goals have been disallowed in similar situations. I also see that GA felt Kazim-Richards was offside.

Forest benefited from a decision like this earlier in the season I think. But the ref has to make a quick decision, and the assistant would certainly not feel able to give that, even though he sees K-R in an offside position.

As others have said it is not an offence to stand in an offside position.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    The law says that a player can be offside if he is ‘Preventing an opponent playing the ball by obstructing his line of vision.’ Admittedly that would be a harsh interpretation in view of Allsop’s positioning, but goals have been disallowed in similar situations. I also see that GA felt Kazim-Richards was offside.

Forest benefited from a decision like this earlier in the season I think. But the ref has to make a quick decision, and the assistant would certainly not feel able to give that, even though he sees K-R in an offside position.

As others have said it is not an offence to stand in an offside position.

I am well aware that being in an offside position is not an offence in itself, which is why I pointed out the part of the law that is more relevant to the incident against Derby. I also said that it would have been a harsh interpretation in this particular case.

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Interesting that an opposition fan sees what some of our own fans refuse to acknowledge, especially as he is also a referee.

That's an odd appeal to authority for someone who is pretty quick to question or criticise referee's decisions.

I was making the point that we have been the victims of a disproportionate number of important decisions that have gone against us this season. It was not a specific reference to any one particular decision. I have no qualms about being ‘quick to question or criticise referee’s decisions’ that have cost us points and contributed to our position in the table

• Rather than blame referees for our current league position, we should concentrate on controlling the controlables.
    The absurd insistence in starting Akinfenwa and Bloomfield in so many games, despite them having so little impact, has contributed to us being so impotent against young and technically superior opposition players.
    It's a shame it has taken the management team this long to reach the same conclusion.

• edited February 2021

@ChasHarps said:
    Rather than blame referees for our current league position, we should concentrate on controlling the controlables.
    The absurd insistence in starting Akinfenwa and Bloomfield in so many games, despite them having so little impact, has contributed to us being so impotent against young and technically superior opposition players.
    It's a shame it has taken the management team this long to reach the same conclusion.

Whilst I agree that blaming refs is a side issue to our league position it certainly is a factor in our points tally.
    Also some seem to be blaming Bayo and Blooms being picked when they were part of a much reduced set of options due to injuries and illness with other members of the squad. It a shame it's taken so long for Uche, Taffazoli, Gape and Stewart to get match fit.

• I didn’t blame referees for our league position, I said decisions that have gone against us had ‘contributed’ to our league position. Akinfenwa has hardly figured since Uche’s return to fitness so who would you have selected to lead the attack whilst the latter was out injured?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Rather than blame referees for our current league position, we should concentrate on controlling the controlables.

Who would you have started when Uche was out then? And surely Bloomfield hasn't started that many.