Skip to content

Giles Phillips

This popped into my Twitter feed earlier.

No idea really what these stats actually mean in the real world but nonetheless good to see Giles Phillips on top of the pile and by some considerable margin too.

Well done young man. All you can ever do when you go out on loan to a lower level club is try and do well so that your parent club take notice.

Ex Wycombe player (and local lad) Alan Massey on the list too.

Ball Interceptions Per 90 - National League 20/21

11.28 - Giles Phillips
9.23 - Ryan Johnson
9.23 - Luke Croll
9.19 - Kenny Clark
9.12 - Ashley Palmer
8.65 - Alan Massey
8.62 - Kyle Cameron
8.30 - Liam Hogan

Comments

• It'd be great to see Giles become a Wycombe star in the future with some experience. Aside from a couple of calamitous moments last season he looked decent and he's still very young.

I like the fact we, as a club, seem to be happy to see the bigger picture as far as building the club on and off the pitch goes, even as we're struggling on the pitch. I'm proud to support a club that sticks by and believes in a manager who has brought us unprecedented success, despite those struggles.

• Good to see he's getting games and learning to do what he has to do. I didn't think he was too bad...then again I thought Jamie Mascoll was one for the future! :smile:

• I thought he looked woefully short last year. So much so it seemed a strange decision to sign him on for a year deal where he'd never get near the team.

Happy to take Gaz's view though. Certainly a low risk transfer.

• @Malone said:
    I thought he looked woefully short last year. So much so it seemed a strange decision to sign him on for a year deal where he'd never get near the team.

Happy to take Gaz's view though. Certainly a low risk transfer.

He was a B team signing really so not sure he can be judged by not playing. I thought he strughled after that awful sending off decision (at Peterborough?) and never really recovered from that. Played a few games out of position at full back too.

I thought he looked quite a classy heads up style defender. Needed to get a bit more street wise but looking at the way this season has gone he's not alone on that.

• For his future confidence he is probably better off away from AP at the moment.

• He had a great game away at Rochdale. Gave it all on the pitch and nothing got past him

• I really like him, I think he was made a scapegoat for the Posh defeat by some, which had come at the end of a torrid run of games in general with one win, one draw and 5 losses.

I don't feel he made any less mistakes than say Mehmeti has made in his debut season, just that when you play at the back it costs you a little more.

Given our traditional place in the league has been lower L1 and upper L2, I think he would be comfortable starting and a great addition if that trend was to continue.

With the takeover completed and should we manage to cement an upper L1 place or the odd foray into the Championship then I hope he can develop into a good 3rd or 4th choice center back.

• @Commoner said:.
    .........Given our traditional place in the league has been lower L1 and upper L2, I think he would be comfortable starting and a great addition if that trend was to continue’......

@Commoner granted you posted this prior to today’s missive from our Great Leader, but as of today it is Championship or above for the mighty Wyc.
    If in any doubt just keep repeating the mantra ‘proud to be a Wanderer’!! and all will be well.

• Haha! Agreed!

In the modern era you only tend to get sustained seasons in the Championship through either having a sugar daddy or having a team which has a high attendence average or both.

Rob has already stated he isn't ploughing that kind of cash in, which means we need to increase gates each week when we get back to it. Even then, I do not really believe we will be able to sustain Championship football no matter how hard we try on gates of circa 8000.

If something was to fundamentally change in football finance which put us on a more level playing field with those in the Championship then I think we could sustain Championship football. Realistically though, I don't see this happening anytime soon. I hope that we are able to sustain L1 football with a season here and there in the Championship.

In 2018/2019 season 53 clubs in the EFL averaged 9000 fans or more in the league. A further 16 averaged more than our 5500, which put us 69th on the list for the last completed season before Covid. We are punching above our weight and I'm really proud of what we have achieved. I'm not why he thinks Championship is sustainable in the current climate but I do agree with him that there is every reason to have that ambition.