Skip to content

Salary cap quashed

Looks like SCMP will be reinstated meaning clubs can spend % of turnover on players.

Would this give us an edge on some competitors if we were to be relegated to league one? On the basis that our financial position this year will have benefited from estimated £7m in tv revenue..

Comments

• Possibly could expand our salary cap, but can't see the Couhig's gambling on it.

• Would need a bigger spreadsheet than I can manage to compare max spend of different teams under each scheme. Correct though @OxfordBlue . No guarantee at all on wether we would or should spend all our allowance.

• Have the PFA protested about the squad size limits? Surely this is keeping some paid up members out of the game?

Always thought they'd get the cap overturned. The gap in wages from the top clubs down will just get bigger and the consequences of relegation will just get more difficult.

• WTF does SCMP stand for? Certainly not the South China Morning Post which is all Google could offer. Someone else (@my friend @Twizz ?) said recently that they were irritated when a writer used acronyms without spelling out in brackets after the first mention what the letters stood for. Someone else, less recently, told me off for describing as acronyms, sets of capitals that don’t spell out a pronounceable word. USW (Und so weiter) !!

The effect of the IAP (Independent Arbitration Panel) decision will surely be to remove the benefit which we’d been anticipating of being on a level playing field financially with other League One clubs, especially the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth.

• This is very wrong. The salary cap was designed to improve governance across the lower leagues and to level things up. There has been some (some might say) generous LOANS given out in the past 10 months to support clubs and the salary cap was a good way to control expenditure going forward.
    Something still needs to be done if not this.

• Over reaction alert from me below

The PFA have just done something that in the end will put clubs (and therefore their members) out of business or in VERY serious financial difficulty.

Don't they see what is going on out there? Wonder if the club chairpersons could agree amongst themselves to all offer lower wages in future so to protect all 72

Yes, I know - fat chance

• Does that also mean the squad limit is increased?

• @micra said:
    WTF does SCMP stand for? Certainly not the South China Morning Post which is all Google could offer.

Serious competition monitoring posse.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    WTF does SCMP stand for? Certainly not the South China Morning Post which is all Google could offer.

Serious competition monitoring posse.

Spend cash madly please

• Sunderland Can't Manage Promotion

• Splurge Cash Makes Popular

or

Stupid C****s Monetary Policy

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    Over reaction alert from me below

The PFA have just done something that in the end will put clubs (and therefore their members) out of business or in VERY serious financial difficulty.

Don't they see what is going on out there? Wonder if the club chairpersons could agree amongst themselves to all offer lower wages in future so to protect all 72

Yes, I know - fat chance

This would breach competition law in some way. Imagine if all the employers in your profession got together and secretly agreed to pay everyone less.

• @Shev said:
    Sunderland Can't Manage Promotion

POTD

• Sorry @micra. I meant: POTD (post of the day)

• Salary Cost Management Protocol, aka Financial Fair Play

• Well familiar with that one @Last_Quarter.

• @Twizz said:
    Salary Cost Management Protocol, aka Financial Fair Play

At least make an effort pal. No-one's believing that one.

• edited February 2021

@Malone Salted Cashews maybe Peanuts?

• @Twizz said:
    @Malone Salted Cashews maybe Peanuts?

See, a lot more realistic.

• @malone, I still can't manage properly to read the match day thread, it must be kicking off something terrible ...

(Do you see what I did there?)

• @Twizz said:
    @malone, I still can't manage properly to read the match day thread, it must be kicking off something terrible ...

(Do you see what I did there?)

Decent.

• Swann Couldn’t Moveupintothechampionshipforthetwentytwentyoneseasonwith Peterborough?

• Excellent

• @Glenactico said:

This would breach competition law in some way. Imagine if all the employers in your profession got together and secretly agreed to pay everyone less.

I don't disagree however isn't that what a salary cap sort of is anyway.

The long-term future of many smaller, lower league teams will be effected by this. The players (as that is who the PFA is speaking for) need to understand the situation. Whilst a good number of them do there are an equal number who can't do for this (the cap) to be quashed.