Skip to content

Nnamdi returns?

Lots of reports on Twitter, suggesting that Ofoborh will return to Wycombe on loan until the end of the season!

Comments

• This is the original tweet, the guy tends to be a reliable source.

• On another website several Bournemouth fans have said he's rejoining us until the end of the season.

• A good idea. In the last couple of games we've been a bit overrun through the middle. Nnamdi will certainly bring energy. Should be a good battle in there as, aside from against Brentford, Curtis has made the step-up brilliantly, and Adeniran seemed to play well around Uche on Saturday

• Hard to see why he wouldn't just go to Rangers straight away. Perhaps they have squad size limits that prevent that. Would Adeniran stay or return to Everton if Nnamdi returned?

• @DevC said:
    Hard to see why he wouldn't just go to Rangers straight away. Perhaps they have squad size limits that prevent that. Would Adeniran stay or return to Everton if Nnamdi returned?

I think his contract is up in the summer, so maybe they just don't want to pay?

• @DevC said:
    Hard to see why he wouldn't just go to Rangers straight away. Perhaps they have squad size limits that prevent that. Would Adeniran stay or return to Everton if Nnamdi returned?

I imagine it’s because there’s 6 players who will be ahead of him in that position in the pecking order at Rangers currently so I imagine he just wants to actually come and play some games, which would explain why he might be joining us for the remainder of the season.

• @therabbittest said:

@DevC said:

They would still have to pay Bournemouth compensation as he is only 21.

• Central midfield is the area we most need to strengthen today - we can't rely on Bloomfield and Pattison being the only cover, assuming at least one of Gape, Thompson and Adeniran will be unavailable at any one time. I had a hope we'd being in O'Nien today but Ofoborh a good alternative, if it happens.

• @DPR38 said:

@DevC said:

I imagine it’s because there’s 6 players who will be ahead of him in that position in the pecking order at Rangers currently so I imagine he just wants to actually come and play some games, which would explain why he might be joining us for the remainder of the season.

In which case, why agree to go there in the summer?

@therabbittest said:

@DevC said:

Hard to see any benefit for Bournemouth in letting him come to us for six months rather than letting him go to Rangers for those six months. Unless of course we are paying a loan fee that Rangers would not?

• @DevC said:

@DPR38 said:

@DevC said:

In which case, why agree to go there in the summer?

@therabbittest said:

@DevC said:

Hard to see any benefit for Bournemouth in letting him come to us for six months rather than letting him go to Rangers for those six months. Unless of course we are paying a loan fee that Rangers would not?

I guess if Bournemouth don't plan to play him for these six months, and Rangers don't plan to play him in these six months, and we're happy to, then what's the harm?

• @DevC i would presume he’s chose Rangers because he feels that he can probably learn a lot from Gerrard. It’s great to see him get such a big move but I don’t see it working out for him due to the competition for places in his position.

• Lets see what happens. If he comes here, will be great to have him.

• @DPR38 said:
    @DevC i would presume he’s chose Rangers because he feels that he can probably learn a lot from Gerrard. It’s great to see him get such a big move but I don’t see it working out for him due to the competition for places in his position.

Rangers' wage budget for 2020 was £43m, so I would suggest that financially for him its a no brainer

• Ok I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and I'm happy to be gently shot at. Is he the player we need?
    He had three excellent post season games for us in the summer. But until then he had managed less than 20 games. He was hardly ripping up trees in a season when Thompson struggled for fitness and consistency.
    He went back to Bournemouth and has barely featured and has been touted as a centre half.
    I loved the guy's enthusiasm and joy during the play offs but fear we are signing a great person because he's a great person and not the player that might just pull us out of this.

• If he can cover at centre back too all the more reason to bring him in.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub we're nine hours from deadline. We need central midfield enforcements. His last three matches for us were excellent. He gets on well with the squad and has already been Wycombised. He will know he still has a lot to prove to show Gerrard or whoever why he should be considered a starter next season. Fine, he can't get into a Bournemouth team gunning for promotion but we're in a mini league of five or six now so that doesn't really matter. He can score from the edge of the box. He'd be a good acquisition with potential to be an excellent one.

• You're not impressed with Rangers assessment of ability then @TheAndyGrahamFanClub!

• If Nnamdi is coming back, someone going out the door ?
    I noticed Gareth bemoaned the fact that were missing Taffazoli,Gape and JJ, but no mention of Horgan ?
    Could Horgan be on his way ?

• If this happens i can't promise i won't overreact.

It's a win-win-win isn't it? Off Bournemouth's wage bill, playing games to prepare him for Rangers, but Rangers aren't paying him or for him. And we sadly have no guarantee that two of Thommo, Gape and Adeniran will be available to play every game in the February meat-grinder and beyond. Couple all this with the fact he's clearly well liked by the players, we should absolutely get him in if we can.

• @mooneyman said:
    You're not impressed with Rangers assessment of ability then @TheAndyGrahamFanClub!

Gape, Thompson, Adeniran, Bloomfield all play a defensive midfield role really well. McCarthy can cover that role too. Rangers might be looking for a defensive midfielder I was suggesting that maybe we weren't and I am not sure where that leaves at least one out of the three (I'll exclude Bloomfield as he has been playing more forward) with a new arrival. Unless Gape is injured worse than we know.

• I wouldn’t have thought so @ChasHarps. I know he has flattered to deceive at times but, unless he’s not really settled in at the club and we’ve been offered at least as much as we paid for him, I can’t see that happening. He did seem slightly disgruntled when he was subbed a few weeks ago, so who knows. But I think a more likely explanation is that Gareth was focussed very much on the defensive frailties, including of course defensive covering by midfielders.

With his versatility in both those areas of the pitch, Ofoborh would be a great signing. Fingers crossed.

• I love Nnamdi and would be delighted if he returned. I think he'd be in our starting XI if all our players are fit.

I was really hoping we might pick up a creative midfielder on loan who can pick a pass to unlock a defence. It's a lot to pin on young Mehmeti's shoulders to be the one player on the squad capable of that (I consider Horgan and McLeary more as attackers than midfielders)

(And a goalkeeper, obvs ?)

• Makes a lot of sense, Bournemouth have no immediate need for him and no interest in developing someone who has already decided he's off. Rangers see him as a prospect but who knows over what timeframe and will benefit from him having played more.
    For us he's an affordable extra option in a midfield (or defence) that has been overrun too often.
    I'd assume it was him or nothing rather than a long choice between taking him and suddenly whacking down a few hundred thousand pounds for anyone else.

• Might even get him back for a bit next season.

• I also liked Nnamdi and am glad we've got a player back who will be motivated to help maintain a promotion he was instrumental in securing.

• Is this actually confirmed yet?

• @Alexo said:
    Is this actually confirmed yet?

No

• I am with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub on this one. I rate Nnamdi in a vacuum, but don't see it as a position of need. I would have much preferred some creativity. We always struggle for goals from midfield, and though he did score a screamer against Fleetwood, I would add him to the list of Gape, Thompson, Adineran and Pattison as midfielders who are very unlikely to find the net, with Bloomers marginally ahead because he is always good for at least one goal a season. This lack of midfield goals puts tremendous strain on the forwards to score, and the lack of creativity from midfield further exacerbates the problem.

We have a brilliant midfield for harassing and harrying, but we are really missing a creative fulcrum.