Skip to content

Your other team

edited January 2021 in Football

Seeing @username123 mention Forest as being their other team, I was thinking about how it seems slightly odd having your other team in the same division. Which got me wondering if there's anyone on here whose other team were once mighty and flying high when they started following them, but now sit below Wycombe in the pyramid.

Comments

• I think I mentioned it last year but I moved from Wycombe to halfway between Ipswich and Norwich in the mid-1970’s when both were in Division 1 (Premier now). Couldn’t drive so visits to see Wycombe were about half a dozen a year and used to alternate between both Norwich and Ipswich. But Ipswich under Bobby Robson were a joy to watch and challenging at the top end of the table so became rather fond of them (and my first wife was an Ipswich ST holder).

After I bought a motorbike I remember going down on it to see Wycombe at Barking on a cold winter afternoon play out a a dull 0-0 draw (I think) in front of maybe 300 people one week followed by watching Ipswich play a thrilling top of the table clash in front of 30000 the next.

The thought that one day we would be a higher placed team than Ipswich was just unimaginable

• A friend I regularly attend games with is an avid Sunderland supporter. Wycombe is his 'other' team.

Been a tough few years for him!

• Up until I was around 15 I supported my fathers team QPR. I went up to Loftus Rd with my Dad and WWFC wasn't on the radar, even though we lived 5 miles from Loakes Park.

At about 16 I was keen to go up to Loftus Rd without my Dad but my mum was having none of it and I went to a couple of games at Loakes Park.

When AP was built I started to go to more games, as well as the odd visit to Loftus Rd with my Dad. I had two teams, one non league and one in Div1.

1992 started in great fashion with QPR trouncing United at Old Trafford with Bailey scoring a hat-trick, the last away player to do so in the League. The 92/93 season finished with QPR finishing 5th in the first season of the Premiership and of course we gained promotion to the Football League and won the Trophy again. It doesn't get much better than that if you support two smaller teams.

Nine years later my two teams met in the League at AP, I stood on the terrace in the home end and have never looked back to London since.

In answer to your question @drcongo, we haven't quite finished above them yet but I still have hope for this season.

• I have never understood the "other" team, I support Wycombe Wanderer and wear the Dad badge with pride that both my sons only support the Chairboys.

• Spurs is my ‘other’ team and I will be delighted when WW win on Monday night.

• I don’t really have one, I lived in Gooner country for about 10 years and have been in the catchment area for the other side of the North London derby for the last 6, but I don’t really have a genuine affinity for either.

If there’s a team I like to see do well, it’d probably be Barnet, there’s obviously a fair few players/staff in common over the years, but I don’t actively follow them.

• My other team's Union Berlin from when they were my nearest team on a year abroad during my degree some 15 years ago now when they were in the regional leagues and recovering from almost going bust. Both teams are having a purple patch right now, though even so the chances of our paths crossing in competitive football are very slim, but you never know!

• I know it doesn't quite fit the criteria but my other team has always been Manchester United. I know, I know.

'Boring' I here you say. Well possibly, but the reason they are my other team is quite simple.

On 28th May 1968 my father took me to his friend's house to watch them play Benfica in the European Cup Final - the first time I'd ever seen a colour television. Somehow he'd managed to get me a blue rosette too! The rest is history.

Incidentally I was fortunate enough to watch the match played at Old Trafford to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1958 Munich Air Disaster, so they probably also qualify as the best team I've ever seen play.

• My other team is Forest. Dad took us down Wycombe market in the 70s to get school bags and I liked their logo. My brother got a Charlton one.

Feels odd now living in Nottingham for the last 19 years but last time I went to the City Ground was when Wycombe played them in the league cup, which I’m shocked to discover was almost 25 years ago.

• Forest have to be my other team as its my home town but having been born in East London (Dad was in the Army in tne 1960s) I also have a soft spot for the Ammers. (It seems Moyes has Alan Irvine, Kevin 'Kevin Nolan ' Nolan and Stuart Pearce as backroom staff!)

• I have no other team. A soft spot for teams from in places I’ve lived perhaps. So that’s Southend (born there), Chester (lived near the city until I was 4), Darlington (from 5-7), Wycombe (7-18), Liverpool (18-25) and Wycombe from then on. I note the demise of clubs when I am not close by.

• My only other team is Burnham as i lived most of my life there before moving tgo Somerset 23 years ago.

• Oxford City for me as I've lived a 5 minute drive from their ground for the past 25 years or so. Maybe a bit odd since they were still a major local rival when I started supporting Wycombe and regular trips to their old White House Ground were always a season highlight. After almost going out of existence when they were evicted it's been good to see them slowly but surely rise again, though we've left them behind in the rival stakes now.

• I used to watch Chesham United when it didn't clash with Wycombe. That with mainly in their successful days of the early nineties.

• Always been West Ham for me. Back in the day kids if Wycombe were playing Blythe Spartans away it was easy to hop on a train at lunchtime in Wycombe and rock up at Upton Park by 2:55, pay 4 quid and watch a top of the table side (well almost, and don’t get me started about the European ban that cost us our greatest hour).

• Some great stories in here. My other team is Clapton CFC, so Wycombe is my "big club", which used to feel weird when asked by other Clapton fans but probably doesn't now. Still hasn't really sunk in that we're a championship club.

• Wycombe are my 2nd club, never lived outside of liverpool so was brought up and took the games from a very early age supporting Everton, was around 9yo when I went my first Wycombe match.

Growing up I wouldnt miss an Everton game, but when we didnt clash I'd try my best to get to a Wycombe game.

Over time I've got to more Wycombe matches and I've enjoyed the highs the lows and some random games.

My eldest who's 5 has been more Wycombe games than Everton and I'm hoping to have my little son as a virtual mascot tomorrow if it's not to late and someone gets back to us over it.

This is the closet I've came to seeing my 2 teams play each other, would be brilliant if it happened.

• @Manboobs said:
    I have no other team. A soft spot for teams from in places I’ve lived perhaps. So that’s Southend (born there), Chester (lived near the city until I was 4), Darlington (from 5-7), Wycombe (7-18), Liverpool (18-25) and Wycombe from then on. I note the demise of clubs when I am not close by.

In that case, in the interests of preserving our success, I think it is only fair that you henceforth agree to be tethered to the confines of the Wycombe district.

• It’s funny how living somewhere else leaves us feeling about the local team. I still smile every time Reading lose but I’m always pleased to see Woking doing well.

• @Glenactico said:

@Manboobs said:
    I have no other team. A soft spot for teams from in places I’ve lived perhaps. So that’s Southend (born there), Chester (lived near the city until I was 4), Darlington (from 5-7), Wycombe (7-18), Liverpool (18-25) and Wycombe from then on. I note the demise of clubs when I am not close by.

In that case, in the interests of preserving our success, I think it is only fair that you henceforth agree to be tethered to the confines of the Wycombe district.

Maybe. I returned to living and working in Bucks in, I think, January ‘90. And we know who arrived shortly afterwards. As we now live just over the border in Bedfordshire and I stopped working in Wycombe at the end of 2018 but we go from strength to strength I think I must still be close enough...

• Only ever Wycombe since age 15. As a kid I had a soft spot for Newcastle as no-one in the media seemed to talk about them, even though they were doing quite well at the time. Had short spells watching QPR and Watford when they didn't clash with Wycombe, but that didn't last too long, still get stick for that. Watch very few live matches nowadays that don't involve WWFC.

• QPR for me. Spent my very young life living in Battersea, long before it became gentrified. Had the usual fortnightly weekend visit to my dads place in Acton and he often took me to Loftus Road in the 1960s. Started going on my own in my mid teens when we had moved out to Chalfont St Giles and surprisingly found a few other QPR fans in the village, also Chalfont St Peter & Gerrards Cross. As such we formed a mini car club to go to home matches. Lost interest, with the football violence being so prevalent when I woke up to the fact that I was spending a large slice of my income attending, beer drinking & pies to effectively watch the crowd. Was always on the alert for the oppo supporters that maybe got into our end, outside the stadium in the streets of Shepherds Bush or everywhere if we went to watch them away.
    Only when I moved into Widmer End in about 1990 that a friend convinced me to watch WWFC in the conference that I started to feel comfortable again with the football experience and the rest as they say, is history.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Wycombe are my 2nd club, never lived outside of liverpool so was brought up and took the games from a very early age supporting Everton, was around 9yo when I went my first Wycombe match.

Growing up I wouldnt miss an Everton game, but when we didnt clash I'd try my best to get to a Wycombe game.

Over time I've got to more Wycombe matches and I've enjoyed the highs the lows and some random games.

My eldest who's 5 has been more Wycombe games than Everton and I'm hoping to have my little son as a virtual mascot tomorrow if it's not to late and someone gets back to us over it.

This is the closet I've came to seeing my 2 teams play each other, would be brilliant if it happened.

I have to ask, given that you've never lived outside Liverpool, how did you end up watching Wycombe?

• Was wondering the same @drcongo

• From a young age I'd do a football coupon of a weekend and wycombe were the only non league team on it most weeks and it felt like they always won, so I started looking out for the results.

Remember listening to the trophy final on the radio with my dad against Runcorn. Cant remember what age I started getting the wycombe kit for Christmas but I was young probably around 7. Then I may be well out with dates and that but I remember watching and cheering for wycombe in a 5 aside competition on tv. I've shared this before but one game at stockport (I think) I took an envelope with my name and address on and asked 4 wycombe fans coming out of a chippy to send me a pennant and a couple of other bits and offered them £20, they took the envelope and no money and within a couple of weeks I had the pennant I wanted, a hat, signatures, car stickers the lot. I was over the moon and that probably sealed my fate as a wycombe fan.

I was a bit of a football geek and loved nothing more than getting the pink echo on a saturday evening and studying it, then boring my parents getting them to ask me the score of a certain game and I'll try and tell them the score, scorers and attendance!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    QPR for me. Spent my very young life living in Battersea, long before it became gentrified. Had the usual fortnightly weekend visit to my dads place in Acton and he often took me to Loftus Road in the 1960s. Started going on my own in my mid teens when we had moved out to Chalfont St Giles and surprisingly found a few other QPR fans in the village, also Chalfont St Peter & Gerrards Cross. As such we formed a mini car club to go to home matches. Lost interest, with the football violence being so prevalent when I woke up to the fact that I was spending a large slice of my income attending, beer drinking & pies to effectively watch the crowd. Was always on the alert for the oppo supporters that maybe got into our end, outside the stadium in the streets of Shepherds Bush or everywhere if we went to watch them away.
    Only when I moved into Widmer End in about 1990 that a friend convinced me to watch WWFC in the conference that I started to feel comfortable again with the football experience and the rest as they say, is history.

Same as for me EwanHoosaami - grew up in Acton and my dad was (and still is) a stout QPR supporter - always took me to the matches and I loved it back in the day but as you have mentioned, things took a horrible turn for the worse. I remember as a teenager being advised before a match against West Ham to hide my scarf if I wanted to live ! Fell out of love with football at that point and was struggling to afford the match day cost as well.
    Moved to High Wycombe in the early 90’s to settle down with Mrs Ceefax who supports Liverpool (to be fair she is from Liverpludlien descendant ! )but she had Wycombe as her second team and she dragged me along begrudgingly to a match - Completely hooked with this wonderful club and they have been my club since that first visit.

• Burnham FC also - but only because my brother played for them late 70’s early 80’s

• Absolutely brilliant @ryan_w_kirkby

• That's a great story @ryan_w_kirkby

• Thank you for sharing such a brilliant story @ryan_w_kirkby