Skip to content

Comparing us to recent bottom sides

2»

Comments

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:
    To say it’s our defensive record that is letting us down is disappointing and frankly disgraceful.

I think you're ever so slightly exaggerating here. Disgraceful? Genuine LOL.

• @eric_plant said:
    Goalkeeper is the one position we didn't strengthen over the summer.

It's not too late and it could make the difference between staying up and going down

Totally agree

• In defence of the defence (ha), we have struggled to fill the holding defensive midfielder role for more than a couple of games at a time without that player getting injured etc and really getting into flow. We have 3 really good ones in Gape, Thompson and Adeniran but when Wheeler, Bloomfield or Freeman have had to fill in it’s really square pegs in round holes. I think before too long it will be a 4-2-3-1 with 2 from Gape / Thompson / Adeniran in front of the back 4 as fitness appears to be returning.

• @username123 said:
    In defence of the defence (ha), we have struggled to fill the holding defensive midfielder role for more than a couple of games at a time without that player getting injured etc and really getting into flow. We have 3 really good ones in Gape, Thompson and Adeniran but when Wheeler, Bloomfield or Freeman have had to fill in it’s really square pegs in round holes. I think before too long it will be a 4-2-3-1 with 2 from Gape / Thompson / Adeniran in front of the back 4 as fitness appears to be returning.

You make a very good point. As I said in an earlier post, defending well is a team responsibility, not just the back four and goalkeeper. Once those you have named are fit and firing on all cylinders I expect things to improve.

• @bigred87 said:

@eric_plant said:

It's not too late and it could make the difference between staying up and going down

Totally agree

But in a recent survey Alsop had made the most saves from shots in the area in the Championship.

• Foe me, I don't see Alsop as the problem. Could have any of the top keepers in between the sticks and doubt we would have conceded many fewer if at all. Possibly our best most consistent performer this season. I have been pleasantly surprised at his general improvement. This constant criticism of him not coming off his line can be irritating as we're not certain that he isn't acting under instruction?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Foe me, I don't see Alsop as the problem. Could have any of the top keepers in between the sticks and doubt we would have conceded many fewer if at all. Possibly our best most consistent performer this season. I have been pleasantly surprised at his general improvement. This constant criticism of him not coming off his line can be irritating as we're not certain that he isn't acting under instruction?

Aside from the coming off his line bit - which I think is his instinct, even if it suits Gareth's preferences, but which I don't think accounts for many or any goals this season - I totally agree. I'd be glad to be reminded of any goals that one might properly lay at his door this season - my memory is of many good saves and overall performances.

I'm in the let's-score-more-goals camp.

• @Chickenhead said:

@bigred87 said:

@eric_plant said:

Totally agree

But in a recent survey Alsop had made the most saves from shots in the area in the Championship.

Who was surveyed?

• @bigred87 said:

@eric_plant said:

Totally agree

In fairness, we didn't strengthen left or right full back or defensive mid either. The four main starters in those positions all played last year.

• @Malone said:

@bigred87 said:

@eric_plant said:

Totally agree

In fairness, we didn't strengthen left or right full back or defensive mid either. The four main starters in those positions all played last year.

Signing McCarthy as a back up rb over the summer definitely strengthened that position.

• After tonight’s games it’s interesting to note that 4 of the Championship’s top 6 (Norwich, Swansea, Watford and Middlesbrough) are where they are mainly thanks to their defensive record.
    Swansea best defence (8 teams have scored more),
    Watford 2nd best defence (10 teams scored more),
    Middlesbrough 3rd best defence (6 teams scored more),
    Norwich 4th best defence (4 teams scored more).

• Attackers win games, defences win championships

• Having watched Forest (my other team) get torn a new one this evening by Boro from a defensive point of view, I’m quite pleased with our defence! And it cost a hell of a lot less!

• Although Samba’s save with the back of his head is something I doubt I’ll ever see happen again

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Four goals against a below strength PNE team may prove to have been the proverbial one swallow but I think the return to fitness of Ikpeazu and Tafazolli (if sustained) plus the signing of McCleary and Muskwe will give more of an edge to our attack and also enable us to convert more chances from de-pieces.

• set-pieces!!

• @username123 agree...(also head in hands being a Nottingham boy) but I was expecting a scrap and possible return to League One so if I was a fan fan of one of the bigger teams who we keep being told are too good or can buy themselves out of trouble I would be enjoying the season far less.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @username123 agree...(also head in hands being a Nottingham boy) but I was expecting a scrap and possible return to League One so if I was a fan fan of one of the bigger teams who we keep being told are too good or can buy themselves out of trouble I would be enjoying the season far less.

Definitely, it’s not remotely enjoyable watching Forest this year (or last tbh, even being near the top for much of the season), whereas with Wycombe I enjoy the fact that every game this season is a bit of a cup final and part of the new adventure, and every goal we score, clean sheet we get or point we gain means so much