Skip to content

I’ll tell you what grinds my gears

123457»

Comments

• edited May 2021

I know a bloke called Dodgy, but he's as tight as a ******** wallet, so doubt it's the same person? ??

• @arnos_grove said:
    @bookertease Slightly off topic, many years ago a friend called me to say, 'Come down the pub. I'm there with my mate Groovy'.

Instantly, I knew I must stay at home.

Maybe he just forgot to leave enough space to designate a comma :)

• The use of "that guy", in phrases such as "don't be that guy", "i'm not that guy" etc.
    Another horrible americanism?

• @drcongo said:

@arnos_grove said:
    @bookertease Slightly off topic, many years ago a friend called me to say, 'Come down the pub. I'm there with my mate Groovy'.

That reminds me of a time I was sat in a pub with a colleague / mate at lunch time...

Another world. Do people still go down the pub at lunchtime with workmates? (I obviously don’t mean ‘now’) or is this another reason to regret my career choice?

• Lot of talk on LBC today about eligibility (eg for priority in the vaccine queue). Reminded me of how many people donkeys’ years ago used to refer to certain players being illegible to play in particular competitions.

• @bookertease said:

@drcongo said:

@arnos_grove said:

That reminds me of a time I was sat in a pub with a colleague / mate at lunch time...

Another world. Do people still go down the pub at lunchtime with workmates? (I obviously don’t mean ‘now’) or is this another reason to regret my career choice?

My mate works in IT for a major high street bank. Three pints on a Friday lunchtime is still acceptable. Which explains a lot.

In the 90s I worked at industrial Adhesives in Chesham in the labs. Friday lunchtime beers were the norm. Mind you the piss poor extraction in the labs meant I was on the glue for the entire working week anyway.

• I was working in advertising at the time of the earlier anecdote. Disappearing to the pub at 2 in the afternoon, or simply never returning from lunch were not uncommon. One company I worked with had requisitionable cocaine for when you needed to take a client out with you.

• I was amazed in the early 2000s going into my employer's social club of a Friday lunchtime. Seeing blokes in overalls who were working in the aerospace industry bringing a tray of pints + chasers back to the table was certainly an eye-opener!

Had to do some presentations to the night-shift up in Glasgow once and the union convener laughed that it might be a lively crowd for an English lad, as most of them would've come straight from the pub. Terrifying enough to be a fairly young bloke wearing a suit as 100+ Glaswegian works employees filed in to their canteen. The convener asked them to go easy on me as England had lost a qualifier the night before (laughs and cheers) and for some reason I thought it was worth pointing out that Scotland had just lost to someone fairly low ranking just minutes before the meeting started.

An icy silence.

• When I worked in the furniture factories in the 80's and early 90's. The lunchtime pub drinking was thriving. It was often remarked that a lot of those that operated bandsaws and spindles were safer after they had their lunchtime swally, as it settled their shakes.
    You also had the toilet drinkers, with their array of hip flasks. And the unrefined swigging special Brew in the Khazi's.

• When I was working shifts it was only the days off that helped keep my (lunch and evening drinking) units down to borderline alcoholic...nowadays I cannot even imagine drinking a tiny fraction of that amount.

• May I just ask that this Gear Grinding thread never be deleted? Nice one @TheAndyGrahamFanClub, from Username123 (sometimes known as Groovy, but never Dodgy)

• @drcongo said:
    I was working in advertising at the time of the earlier anecdote. Disappearing to the pub at 2 in the afternoon, or simply never returning from lunch were not uncommon. One company I worked with had requisitionable cocaine for when you needed to take a client out with you.

Still not uncommon for the sales teams to fuck off and drink most afternoons. Rarer among other departments now.

Requisitionable cocaine is pretty wild though.

• Ok, I'm guessing that a lot of people like it, but this grates with me... sports fans who see an "oo" sound in a name and turn it into a chant, so that it sounds like 'boo', but isn't... (e.g. Roooooooooooooot Rooooooooot Rooooooooot)