Skip to content

January transfer window is just around the corner

2»

Comments

• Good thread for a game of 'Dev bingo' this one

Most are, to be fair

• edited December 2020

I think @DevC makes a fair point here. He might like it at Wycombe but if we're looking like relegation favourites in January, will he really want to move to us if others offer more chance of a sustained career in the Championship?

To be honest, if we had all three fully fit, I'm not entirely certain he would necessarily start ahead of Stewart and Tafazolli - who offers us much more of an option from set pieces, has the height and strength and speed we need in the Championship, and allows Stewart to go back to his more natural position on the right hand side of defence.

Knight has a brilliant sense of positioning, a calmness and a certain arrogance (which is a positive, in my book), and is good at taking the ball out of defence... But if the plan is to double down on long ball when Ikpeazu is fit, I'd swap all that for the benefits Tafazolli can bring.

Good to have options though. And, contradicting myself already, the fact that other Championship sides all have ball-playing central defenders already might mean Knight doesn't get many better offers than us anyway.

Also, be good to be able the option to move Knight into midfield when Tafazolli returns. We know he can play there and we're very much in need of reinforcements, as yesterday demonstrated all too well.

• I'm sure we've had tentative discussions already or are at least seeing how things are going, Taffazoli has unfortunately barely played and shown nothing so far as much promise as he has. I'd have Knight at worse at this point as both one of our top 2 central defenders and potentially the best option to fill in for Gape or slot in beside him if we want to keep it tight. Potentially he could go on to be very accomplished in a range of in positions.