Skip to content

FA Cup in 2020

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned already but with our scheduled 3rd round game being in January 2021 and our last match being the replay loss to Tranmere on 20 November 2019 we haven’t played at all in the FA cup in 2020. This must be quite unusual?

Comments

• One of the stato's must be able to confirm if we've ever not played in the FA Cup in 2020 before?

• Must be fairly unusual as you'd expect most teams promoted to the championship to make round 3 in their promotion season.

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:
    Must be fairly unusual as you'd expect most teams promoted to the championship to make round 3 in their promotion season.

Last team not to was Rotherham in 2017/18. Before them, all three promoted teams went out in the first round in 2015/16.

• Man Utd didn't play in 2000.

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2020

Good stat, but yeah fairly common I think. e.g. The current top 3 in League One are already out of the Cup.

For it not to happen it takes 6 ties to go the promoted teams way. Even if those teams are 1/5 to get through each round, it's 2/1 that they all make it to the 3rd round

• edited December 2020

For us I would guess you would have to be older than me or @micra, to have been alive when it happened. I wasn't sure if the 3rd round was always in the new year, so I quickly checked a single random year in each decade back to before I was born and every time it was the case that the 3rd round didn't start until January - even in the 1965 /66 Season.

There is the 'concentrate on the league factor' which might mean that the occasional half handy team was promoted to the second tier because they were knocked out in the first round.

Interesting question anyway - if anyone is going to make a quiz question out of it then there is the possibility of a 2nd round replay being delayed into the new year, but I didn't see any - the closest to that I found was Tooting & Mitcham 2 Leatherhead 1 in a 2nd round replay on 22.12.75

• Notts County played their last cup game on 1/12/2019 and will play their next in October 2021. Probably the longest gap in top 5 division clubs since Man U.

• Looking at it the other way, I am sure there must be loads of teams who have managed to lose two FA cup games in the same year, but any who have lost three?

• Darlington we’re the ‘lucky losers’ who replaced Man U in the third round in 99/00. They must be the only side to have lost two cup games in the same season.

• Wigan when Arsenal played on that time and the match was replayed. Or was that Lc?

• Wasn’t that Sheffield United? Or did Arsenal do that twice?!

• What is the longest a side has gone unbeaten in original ties after 90 mins (no replays, extra time, penalties etc.)?

• @floyd said:
    Wasn’t that Sheffield United? Or did Arsenal do that twice?!

Yeah think you are right

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    What is the longest a side has gone unbeaten in original ties after 90 mins (no replays, extra time, penalties etc.)?

Portsmouth 1939 to 1945

• I dont think either Darlington or Sheff U even in those strange circumstances managed to lose three FA Cup games in the same calendar year.

I have found an example where a team did though.

• Must be a non-league club who lost to someone who had fielded an ineligible player.

Let’s go randomly for Leatherhead

• edited December 2020

No not Leatherhead (or non league for that matter -far from it)

• Not as far as I know.
    Although as it happens they won one of the three games I was thinking of

• Is it something to do with the 1890s void games pandemic?

• Time to end this spectacularly unpopular quiz.

I think there were more than one team that has lost three cup games in the same year but only one as far as I know that has lost three cup games in the same season.

Stoke lost 2-1 at Burnley on jan 7th, 3-2 at Sheff Utd on jan 28th and 2-0 at home to Bolton on March 2nd.

The year was 1946 and in that year only the FA Cup was played over two legs. Stoke won the home leg of the first two ties by two goals before bowing out to Bolton in the QFs. The second leg of the Bolton tie was so tragic and so extraordinary and a story I didnt know that I thought I'd give it a thread of its own

• Great trivia, thanks @DevC!

• edited December 2020

Well I found it interesting @DevC thanks.

And having travelled into that rabbit hole (intrigued by your comment about the Bolton 2nd leg which I also confess to having no knowledge of) I also note that Newport IOW also lost 3 times that season - 3rd Qualifying Round (single leg) they lost 1-0 at home to Cowes who were then disqualified.

Newport IOW then reached the 2nd Round Proper where they lost to Aldershot 7-0 and 5-0 (can’t imagine too many locals turned up for the second leg).

Fascinating (if sad)

• I bet they were far from amoosed at being disqualified....

(About as amoosed as I was at how many times I had to type that before bloody predictive text let me post it)

• I love FA Cup trivia

• It's crazy to think that if you add Everton to the "big six", there has only been one final in 47 years not involving at least one of those seven clubs (Portsmouth v Cardiff).

• Sorry, 45 years. Forgot about West Ham v Fulham!in 1975.

• edited December 2020

@Shev said:
    It's crazy to think that if you add Everton to the "big six", there has only been one final in 47 years not involving at least one of those seven clubs (Portsmouth v Cardiff).

Managed to blag into the last final that had a proper upset in 2013 when Wigan slayed Man City.
    A quite mad double of winning an FA Cup and getting relegated of a week.

Looking back that's probably the only proper upset in a final since Wimbledon beating Liverpool in 88.
    You could argue a few narrow favourites were beaten, but they were still beaten by a top team so it's not much of an upset really.

• Growing up in the 80s it seeemd every Cup final was script written. Two Merseydide derbys. Cov beating Spurs. Wimbledon beating Liverpool. The Palace v Manu final

Glory days

• Sutton United beating Cov on a Gander Green Lane sandpit that we were later privilidged to witness Cucumber score two goals to take us to Wembley