Skip to content

Winter survival package

Controversial, but do you think minor sports have been given too much by the government. Does 'motorsport' need 6 million?

Comments

• £2m for badminton when there are 7 professional players in the UK ?

• Oh, and just the £59 million for Premiership rugby while professional football gets ... £0.

• Horse racing! Hardly poverty stricken. I thought it was known as the "Sport of Kings?"

• It's almost as if no-one in government gave any of this any proper thought. I suppose the good thing is unlike PPE none of the money is going to companies owned by a government adviser or an MP's spouse...as far as we know. (Check who those seven Badders player are...)

• Those 75,000 seater Badminton stadiums don't run themselves! They have lost so much revenue from the Badminton Ultras not being able to go to games, too.

• edited November 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    It's almost as if no-one in government gave any of this any proper thought. I suppose the good thing is unlike PPE none of the money is going to companies owned by a government adviser or an MP's spouse...as far as we know. (Check who those seven Badders player are...)

I think they gave it a lot of thought. The thinking process predominantly revolving around which sports they or their Old Etonian chums play / invest in / watch the most.

I suspect the average Conservative MP doesn't know any footballers or football supporters. They suspect some might valet their cars or clean the House of Commons.

• Rishi Sunak is a Southampton season ticket holder.

• Don't tar every MP. For example David Cameron was a West Villa Ham fan and Tony Blair saw Jackie Milburn play for Newcastle before he was even born or something.

• All seems fair enough to me.
    Some sports held events behind closed doors so missed attendance money.

Many venues have been forced to stop the other events they ran to subsidise the sporting ones.
    No Olympics impacted massively on sponsorship and left lots of athletes in a holding pattern with no agreed funding or support.

• Motorsport is a big industry as a lot of the development is based here, but you could ask why F1 isn't being asked to bail out in the same way the Prem is. The FA / Prem / EFL split gives the impression of togetherness that just isn't there.
    The Prem waving Support but no agreement has possibly shafted us here although only loans are on offer whereas we are being led to believe real £ is coming.
    Horseracing should surprise nobody, it was last to close big events and first to reopen at all. Several MPs and family members connected.

• The motorsport money is to venues not the sport. Silverstone hosted two behind close doors F1 weekends and missed out on any money nornally generated over a race weekend. The venue itself limps along and relies on this money.
    Goodwood missed out its vintage and Festival of Speed events. The two main income generators of the year.

Horse racing is a similar story and most race courses have missed out on fairs, conferences and wedding income. I can see how it can be seen as something MP's might like but big events such as Royal Ascot and the Derby were behind closed doors. The Grand National was cancelled and many race courses music and summer events were moved to 2021.

Many will be able to spin the politics on this but on this occasion I don't see a problem. Keeping theatres and music venues open next hopefully

• On a related theme, Roger Mott has made a plea for coach operators.

• Not that I have a lot of time for Tory's, but Paul Goodman the Wycombe MP before 'Bitter Baker' has been a regular at Adam's Park for some time, I've also seen Mr Goodman at away games.

• Once arch Thatcherite, then wet centrist now bizarre voice of reason Ken Clarke and his suede shoes and cigars used to be a City Ground regular.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Not that I have a lot of time for Tory's, but Paul Goodman the Wycombe MP before 'Bitter Baker' has been a regular at Adam's Park for some time, I've also seen Mr Goodman at away games.

Mr Goodman and his son are season ticket holders I think.
    His amazing stopwatch timing of injury time has been a regular joy to watch for years.

• I rather suspect he posts on here but I won't give away his nom de plume

• Rehman Chishti, the Conservative MP for Gillingham is the Gillingham FC Chairman

• I used to do the stopwatch thing for injury time.
    Then would notice it still running an hour late having forgotten to stop it.

• @thedieharder said:
    Rehman Chishti, the Conservative MP for Gillingham is the Gillingham FC Chairman

Sorry I think he has something to do with the club itself but he's not the chairman

• When you look at the Jockey Club connections (hello Dido) to Newmarket MP and respected Health Secretary Matt Hancock, it’s no great shock that nag racing did alright out of this.

• Surely the biggest oddity is the huge gap between the money for Rugby Union and Rugby League. How does that help the government’s leveling up/red wall agenda?

• @arnos_grove said:
    When you look at the Jockey Club connections (hello Dido) to Newmarket MP and respected Health Secretary Matt Hancock, it’s no great shock that nag racing did alright out of this.

"Respected" ????
    The man cannot conduct an interview without coughing out spin or falsehoods, an arrogant imbecile of the highest order !!

• Strewth! And I thought I was cynical.

• I'm quite amazed that there aren't a whole bunch of L1 or L2 clubs who have been reported to be unable to pay wages or worse so far this season. It seems like they've not received any money from the government or Premier League. In a normal season you hear about clubs struggling to pay wages if they go a month without a home game. How are the clubs surviving at the moment?

• @Swiss_Exile its been reported that the EFL gave emergency loans to a number of clubs to help them pay October wages, with similar packages available for November. Apparently a key condition being that the clubs cannot sign any new players until the loans have been repaid. Think the hope is that the Premier League rescue package will have been agreed and distributed by January in order to repay the EFL loans.

• @ForeverBlue Thank you - I’d missed that news about the emergency loans.

• @ChasHarps for the avoidance of doubt, the term ‘respected’ was used with absolutely no sincerity.

• I think the timing of his response should be taken into account @arnos_grove. The use of the word would normally be fully understood by anyone on here who has read more than one of your posts

• Casually sardonic (so easily misinterpreted at 4.59 am).

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The motorsport money is to venues not the sport. Silverstone hosted two behind close doors F1 weekends and missed out on any money nornally generated over a race weekend. The venue itself limps along and relies on this money.
    Goodwood missed out its vintage and Festival of Speed events. The two main income generators of the year.

Horse racing is a similar story and most race courses have missed out on fairs, conferences and wedding income. I can see how it can be seen as something MP's might like but big events such as Royal Ascot and the Derby were behind closed doors. The Grand National was cancelled and many race courses music and summer events were moved to 2021.

Many will be able to spin the politics on this but on this occasion I don't see a problem. Keeping theatres and music venues open next hopefully

Fair point I don't know much about motorsport just think F1 and rich playboys