Skip to content

Sky claim National League a figment of our imagination

https://news.sky.com/story/wrexham-ryan-reynolds-and-rob-mcelhenney-poised-to-take-over-welsh-football-club-after-fans-give-blessing-12134040

"The National League - the division in which Wrexham plays - has yet to start its season because of the coronavirus pandemic."

Comments

• Wonderful investigative reporting as always!

• Do Wrexham own their ground?

• That's nothing. They frequently deny the existence of all football before August 1992.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Do Wrexham own their ground?

No

• @LX1 said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Do Wrexham own their ground?

No

Please, @LX1 keep your replies brief! ?
    I didn't think they did. Obviously going to be a very long term investment if they are going to become a "World force" in football. I admire their ambition.

• I've always thought that if you were a multimillionaire/ billionaire surely it would be way more fun/satisfying to take a small team and make them big, rather than just take over an already established Premier league team

• True however what happens when they get bored of this place/club in the rear end of nowhere and it's always raining & it lacks instant success?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    That's nothing. They frequently deny the existence of all football before August 1992.

Spot on! There are certain ways the PL era should be described in a distinct manner, but not as far as records/what happens on the pitch. It is the height of silliness to have rankings of things like "All-Time Top PL Goalscorers", as if goals had less merit before the formation of the Death Star.

• But they never claim the Premier League to be all of football history. It's a good reference point and the game did change more dramatically than it had done in almost 70 years with the introduction of the back-pass rule.

• Incidentally, I should point out that the article in question was written by a Sky news reporter, not a sports reporter and now appears to have been corrected.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I've always thought that if you were a multimillionaire/ billionaire surely it would be way more fun/satisfying to take a small team and make them big, rather than just take over an already established Premier league team

I’ve never understood why any non-supporter would want to buy a football club. You’d have more fun setting fire to your money.

• @Shev said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:
    That's nothing. They frequently deny the existence of all football before August 1992.

Spot on! There are certain ways the PL era should be described in a distinct manner, but not as far as records/what happens on the pitch. It is the height of silliness to have rankings of things like "All-Time Top PL Goalscorers", as if goals had less merit before the formation of the Death Star.

Who can forget Biggs Darklighter's 100 goal season for Tatooine?

• Didn't he get banned for using the Force?

• @LX1 said:

@Shev said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

Who can forget Biggs Darklighter's 100 goal season for Tatooine?

It’s why he got signed to the Imperial Academy a year ahead of Luke.

• Turned too much to the Dark Side (aka Shithousery) as time went on though.

Overheard him telling some poor kid "I am your father", in the bar after a much once...

• Dagoba had an awful side around then, but at least Chewbacca came out for crosses...

• edited November 2020

Dagoba’s pitch was a virtual swamp until they upgraded to Three(peoo)G

• Dagobah. Didn't one of our diminutive midfield generals end up there once, he became something of a mentor to up and coming young players if I recall correctly.

• Being corrected on the spelling of Dagobah: Where the Gasroom meets pop culture (cheers @Twizz).

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    True however what happens when they get bored of this place/club in the rear end of nowhere and it's always raining & it lacks instant success?

That is always a danger I guess in the real world, I was more thinking of my imaginary perfect world where it wouldnt happen... Roy if the Rovers and all that

• Just checked the record books and Darklighter was in fact stranded on 99, like Mark West in the Conference. His goal against Alderaan was expunged as they failed to complete their fixtures following destruction by the Death Star.

• @Shev said:
    Dagoba had an awful side around then, but at least Chewbacca came out for crosses...

Chewbacca didn't play for Dagobah. BSWK

• @Shev, I confess that I had to look it up!

• Didn't Chewy transfer to Cloud City?