Skip to content

FA Cup Day

Some virtually unheard of club dreaming of a big day out in January at Adams Park - Peterborough perhaps or even apparently there’s a club just up the road in Oxford.

In the absence of a poem, quick quiz for you which club (s) hold the record for having played in the most consecutive FA Cups (excluding war time) to now?

Comments

• Maidenhead?

• Corinthian Casuals?

• Sheffield Wednesday?

• Stoke City?

• Notts County?

• Blyth Spartans.

• None of those.
    Notts county were joint longest until this season but That proud record is now a victim of Covid.

• Correction. I missed Floyd’s post. . Maidenhead are joint holders of the record.

• Spurs? Or Blackburn?

• I believe the correct formation date for Maidenhead United to be 1919, when Maidenhead merged with Maidenhead Norfolkians. 1870 is the usually quoted date, when Maidenhead were formed, but a merger always results in a new club.

• it’s arguable. I would see in a merger as a continuation of the two clubs. A reformation of a bankrupt club is a new club. That’s the rules here anyway.
    Still one more joint record holder to find.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    I believe the correct formation date for Maidenhead United to be 1919, when Maidenhead merged with Maidenhead Norfolkians. 1870 is the usually quoted date, when Maidenhead were formed, but a merger always results in a new club.

I never knew that. But since i got the right answer i agree with @DevC's assessment.

• A merger has to result in a new club and new formation date, otherwise you end up with two formation dates. Why say Maidenhead's date is 1870 when Norfolkians were formed in 1884?

• Starting to wonder if your middle name might be Donald, Steve....

Let’s enjoy the game.

One more to find after it finishes.

• @DevC said:
    Starting to wonder if your middle name might be Donald, Steve....

Let’s enjoy the game.

One more to find after it finishes.

Isnt yours Elton ??

• Peterborough beat Oxford to move one step closer to a dream day out at Adams Park. Sunderland dumped out by Mansfield.

• The Macken's message board must be incandescent

• Mansfield's first win of the season as well

• ColU lost to Marine. Lovely.

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    The Macken's message board must be incandescent

Have a look on Not 606 it's hilarious!

• Just to close this thread out.

At start of season , three clubs had played in every FA Cup staged from 1877.

Maidenhead (if you accept the current club is the same one - see above)

notts county - who this season had to withdraw from the cup without playing a game due to a Covid outbreak

And the third club which is ...............

Surprisingly to me

Reading