Skip to content

Phil Catchpole + no one?

13»

Comments

• Good to hear that Alan Parry will be alongside Blunt Phil at the City Ground this Saturday, I started watching Forest there in 1972 on the open terrace, The Bridgford End, then graduated to the Trent End and the Main Stand before moving to Chalfont St Peter in 1993. Living in Clifton and school at The Becket, a short walk from the Trent bridge...definitely divided loyalties come Saturday. I would have loved to be there.

• edited November 2020

I always love the asides from @bluntphil. My favourite from the Birmingham game was about not being on first name terms with Maxime Colin. Little quips which often seem to go under the radar.

@floyd said:
    Just seen Saturday’s game is on ESPN+, so the American fan base will be listening to a guy who calls our left back Yakobsen, while dreaming of @bluntphil and @glasshalffull

Oh joy! I am just waiting for them to get Bayo and Scottie mixed up!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Even I ended up doing it last Boxing Day

One of just two games I missed watching last season. Any chance you'll be on again?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@JohnBoy said:
    In the past we’ve had the likes of Jombati, Grimmer, Bean - I’ve always really enjoyed hearing the players who can’t be in the squad for whatever reason joining Phil.

Usually it was the sub keeper not in the squad who was Alan Hutchinson's co-commentator in the 1170AM days (a lot of Mark Westhead's most notable contributions to WWFC were discussing the quality of the pies on offer at grounds around the country).

Can we step back a stage and just think about what a time to be alive it is. Getting every Wycombe game live on tv (well, device) .

It really doesn't seem that long ago listening on 1170, hoping Hutch would actually tell us what the score was, or sometimes even tell us what had happened, rather than shouting "it's in..." leaving a 30sec gap and then..just wide.

• @Malone said:

Can we step back a stage and just think about what a time to be alive it is. Getting every Wycombe game live on tv (well, device) .

It really doesn't seem that long ago listening on 1170, hoping Hutch would actually tell us what the score was, or sometimes even tell us what had happened, rather than shouting "it's in..." leaving a 30sec gap and then..just wide.

But we could go and watch the matches.

I get your point but your 'what a time to be alive' quote really grates.
    Imagine the memories that would have been created on Wednesday night if we could have been in the ground? Whilst it was lovely to be able to see it on a screen I do worry the memories won't last so long. In such a massive season that makes me sad

• @chairboyscentral You were excellent. Although my attention did wander when Phil got you talking about xG. Hope to hear you again.

• @our_frank said:
    @chairboyscentral You were excellent. Although my attention did wander when Phil got you talking about xG. Hope to hear you again.

Haha, I think that was on RTB a few weeks earlier rather than the commentary.

• @Shev said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Even I ended up doing it last Boxing Day

One of just two games I missed watching last season. Any chance you'll be on again?

We'll see, pretty hard at the moment as we're not really supposed to travel anywhere.

• @floyd said:
    Just seen Saturday’s game is on ESPN+, so the American fan base will be listening to a guy who calls our left back Yakobsen, while dreaming of @bluntphil and @glasshalffull

Oh joy! I am just waiting for them to get Bayo and Scottie mixed up!

The poor guy probably joined the worldwide leader dreaming of game 7 at Yankee Stadium and Monday night at Lambeau, but that’s no excuse for his lack of attention to detail.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@JohnBoy said:
    In the past we’ve had the likes of Jombati, Grimmer, Bean - I’ve always really enjoyed hearing the players who can’t be in the squad for whatever reason joining Phil.

Usually it was the sub keeper not in the squad who was Alan Hutchinson's co-commentator in the 1170AM days (a lot of Mark Westhead's most notable contributions to WWFC were discussing the quality of the pies on offer at grounds around the country).

One of the most entertaining co-commentators in recent times was Paul Smyth, currently on a season-long loan at Charlton.

Mark Westhead was a true pieman. I can still hear him saying “early doors” quite a lot (a new expression to me at the time) in his broad Lancastrian accent. With his obvious fondness for pies I expected him to now be a portly middle aged man. Au contraire, he has kept himself in shape and (now aged 45) was still on Warrington Town’s books until quite recently. He is a fully qualified coach and is Youth Development goalkeeping coach at his hometown club, Blackpool.

• Mark Westhead's family had a guesthouse/hotel in Blackpool.

• @Forest_Blue I think the book shows that overall footballers in the 1950 and 60s were all treated appallingly on the whole, kicked out of club houses with their families with little notice if they were let go (see also the families of the Munich victims not to mention the injured...not sure Busby made sure they were looked after) and I seem to recall it claims Tom Finney having to work as a plumber in the summer...and being called to work on the millionaire Chairman's house. Makes you realise why the £100 a week wage was so important and - to give him his due - the work Jimmy Hill did for players in the union.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I seem to recall it claims Tom Finney having to work as a plumber in the summer...and being called to work on the millionaire Chairman's house. Makes you realise why the £100 a week wage was so important and - to give him his due - the work Jimmy Hill did for players in the union.

I gave Tom Finney a ring in the spring, but he said he was only a plumber in the summer. He offered me some new gold taps in the autumn, so I bought ‘em. He was playing again by winter, and was something of a sprinter.

• Always interesting to read supporters comments. After all, the game is all about the fans as far as I’m concerned.

As for Phil, he’s a legend - for me The Voice of Wycombe - No doubt!

We’ve never really sat down and talked about covering football together. We have been friends for several years now. When he initially invited me, we went through the protocol, it’s just gone from there. It’s very easy to sit alongside him in the commentary box because he makes you feel a part of it.

The thing I’ve learned is what a difficult skill commentary is to master, particularly when working without a monitor and only getting one chance to get it right. I’m always trying to improve, although obviously, I only jump in when required.

As for Wycombe, I very fond of the club because they have always made me and my family welcome. I keep up to date with the clubs I cover for the newspaper but since meeting Phil, try to keep abreast with goings-on at Adams Park. I like seeing the club do well because I firmly believe the people I’ve met here work extremely hard and deserve it.

I’ve got no problem with supporters opinions. I try to be myself, but you are not going to please all of the people all of the time. It’s not something I take personally. Accents, style, I understand - it’s all part of the course. When I was growing up, we had John Motson, Brian Moore and Hugh Johns doing the TV, while the likes of Alan Green, Bryon Butler and Peter Jones on the radio - I’ve been lucky enough to meet John and Alan through my job, but they have all influenced me in some way throughout my time as a fan and a reporter, but all of them would have divided opinion at some time.

Others in the Adams Park commentary box. Alan Parry, like Phil, is a legend. He knows his stuff and is a true gentleman. I was speaking to him after the Birmingham game which was an absolute pleasure.

I’ve sat beside Geoff and Phil covering Wycombe (I can’t remember which game it was). He’s an experienced broadcaster - certainly far more so than myself - and I think he deserves huge credit along with everyone at BBC3CR for what they produce on a matchday. I don't really know Bill, but Phil speaks really highly of him.

Matchday - an incredible experience, particularly when we have a crowd - I really can’t get used to things the way they are - I don’t want to either! But on the occasions, I’m lucky enough to be covering the Chairboys and we hear on-air that ‘we are about to split frequencies’ (a time for fans to choose their game). I love that buzz - all of a sudden it’s just us - the commentary team and listeners all together, with different opinions about the world and his wife, but ultimately wanting the best outcome at the final whistle - that feeling can never be beaten.

Whoever is in the commentary box, at whatever game - we are always doing our very best to explain and entertain. I hope the radio plays a big part in the coverage of football for many years to come. Oh, and by the way - peterparrotface - I’m forever gutted I never saw Dr Feelgood live - Milk and Alchohol was probably about the time I started getting into music - Stay safe - Jeevesie ;-)

• I agree with all you said except bill.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

But we could go and watch the matches.

I get your point but your 'what a time to be alive' quote really grates.
    Imagine the memories that would have been created on Wednesday night if we could have been in the ground? Whilst it was lovely to be able to see it on a screen I do worry the memories won't last so long. In such a massive season that makes me sad

Let's just really hope we can do enough to stay up and thus get back in next season.

To go up, not get to witness any games in the flesh and go down would be super cruel.

• The thing I’ve learned is what a difficult skill commentary is to master

I inevitably spend some of every game on iFollow thinking about this because my brain is an idiot and does things like that.

I would be absolutely awful at it for a million reasons and I'd be just as bad at the summarising bit. I'm constantly impressed with how little of the game Phil leaves out (remember this is radio commentary and we just happen to have pictures with it now), he paints a full, vivid picture of what's going on. I doff my cap to you Phil.

• Totally agree with you Dr C. Having sat with Phil at an away game many moons ago & exchanged our views on the action, we see a very similar picture. What I like most about Phils commentary is his total honesty. If we are playing like a dogs dinner, thats the way it is explained. No glossing over it, which is refreshing when listening to the "other" commentary team, as they will nearly always look to put the blame elsewhere.

• @our_frank said:
    @peterparrotface It would be lovely to think of him in the audience there, but his mention of this goal last night, and having seen the original on the Big Match with his dad, suggests that he might have been a bit too young:

You never believe how many footballs I sent into the neighbours' garden trying to replicate that goal - Never got my 'Wembley Trophy' back!

• @BrianJeeves68 said:

@NoelAshford said:

"but he didn’t add anything and started to grate in the couple of games I’ve had to listen to him. 4/10 - Sorry Noel... Erm... You're not actually my wife, are you? ;-)

This is the best response ever and makes me feel bad for chastising you, I was definitely over harsh. You have immediately been upped to at least 6/10 in my scores that no one cares about. Also, the fact you’ve taken the time to come on here is brilliant and I enjoyed your post just above - definitely wasn’t aware you don’t have ifollow on or a monitor of any sort during games.

For what it’s worth I used to know the guy in charge of Sky Sports (AP’s boss I guess once upon a time) and we talked a lot about broadcasting, commentary and presentation. The one thing we agreed upon was that it would be great for journalists to offer their reporter expertise with behind the scenes intel and allow the ex-pros to offer the inside-the-game, experienced insight and for the waters not to be muddied. However, things have moved on so much now and everyone expects more from co-comms even if they haven’t played the game in terms of analysing patterns of play etc. There are nine year olds that understand high presses, between the lines and other such new fangled football phrases better than me so it’s all a bit much, I long for the days of 4-4-2 and Martin O’Neill.

Finally, were you working and watching at the 2015 Play-off Final? I actually remember how good the Southend fans were after the game.

• Cheers everybody for the very kind words. I love match days and it has become even more of a privilege this season.

It’s been a great ride from turning up as a volunteer to help out a depleted Wycombe Hospital Radio team, to then volunteering to fill the gap for 3CR when they stopped sending a reporter. In fact, it was people moaning about the lack of radio coverage on the old Gasroom that prompted me to contact the station in the first place. I had pretty much zero experience and had never worked in radio before, so it felt like I’d jumped the queue a bit. Right place, right time I guess.

It’s been a brilliant opportunity to learn and it went up a gear when I quit my old job to go back to college to get a journalism diploma a couple of years back. This led to working full time at 3CR and I was delighted that they incorporated the football work into my hours.

I started Ringing The Blues as I was regularly gathering more WW content than 3CR had room for, plus I wanted to learn and develop my editing skills. It’s been a labour of love and I hope it continues to be an independent voice on the club.

The bane of match days is iFollow as I get numerous messages from people complaining about how shit/difficult to use it is. I’ve never used it and sympathise greatly to anyone who is paying for something that isn’t working properly for them. Sadly, I can’t help with technical difficulties as my only involvement is having our radio commentary piped over the top of the video feed, which is done at the studio. The Football Supporters Association are currently speaking with the EFL about how to improve the poor service for fans as it appears to be a problem for all clubs who use iFollow.

Back to the commentary - as I wrote on another thread a week or two ago, 3CR has zero budget for summarisers, so we rely on the good nature of volunteers. I think we are incredibly fortunate to have the likes of Bill and AP around, as well as Brian, Beanie and the odd injured player who is willing.

• Shout out to @glasshalffull who managed to catch himself in the middle of describing McCleary as a bloody good signing today.

• @drcongo said:
    Shout out to @glasshalffull who managed to catch himself in the middle of describing McCleary as a bloody good signing today.

He did call him Garath Lewis a couple of times too.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:
    Shout out to @glasshalffull who managed to catch himself in the middle of describing McCleary as a bloody good signing today.

He did call him Garath Lewis a couple of times too.

That was @bluntphil actually?

• Catchpole out! (If only for Notts Forest!)

• I caught myself the second time I did it! I’ve got a colleague called Gareth Lewis plus minimal sleep due to the baby = a fried brain

• You did a top job as always @bluntphil

• @bluntphil said:
    I caught myself the second time I did it! I’ve got a colleague called Gareth Lewis plus minimal sleep due to the baby = a fried brain

Welcome to the world of fatherhood mate. I believe that a screaming all night child, (I've had two, 5 years apart), is natures way of tempering the libido!

• Hi Noel, I’ll take 6/10 (the wife still says 4/10).

The play-off final: I’ve been lucky enough to report from Wembley Stadium around 70 times. That particular evening was my second, and the first (and only) time I’ve covered Southend at the home of football.

I won’t dwell on it too much, but a couple of things stuck out. A day or two before the play-off final I did a recorded piece with Phil. I’d reported on Wycombe winning at Dagenham & Redbridge as well as the two league matches with the Shrimpers. I explained that my head said Wycombe, my heart Southend.

Just before the Southend goal I was resigned to defeat but was satisfied to be able to say I’d covered my team at Wembley. Of course, the direction of the contest changed along with emotions, both in the stands and the press box.

I remember at the end and despite his own disappointment, Phil came over and congratulated me. I didn’t particularly think Southend deserved it, but that single act conformed the mark of the man.

I think Wycombe Wanderers and BBC3CR are very lucky to have Phil. He’s as genuine as they come and it’s always a real pleasure to sit beside him on the mic.