Skip to content

Bayo on racism

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/october/bayo-opens-up-on-racist-abuse/

Extraordinary interview. I didn't realise it was possible for me to admire him more than I already did, but apparently ...

Comments

• Thanks for sharing this @OakwoodExile

What a man. To my mind he is our greatest ever signing.

• Disappointingly low interest in this thread, considering how popular and entertaining Bayo is.

• Top mab.

Incredible how much stick the BLM campaign has received from certain parts

• I’ll come clean. I’d only watched a few minutes of the interview (yesterday) when I wrote at 10.13. Having watched the interview in its entirety in the meantime I have to agree with @Lloyd2084. It is one of the most powerful and moving interviews I have ever watched.

Having until now only ever heard Bayo “acting the goat” I found that interview a real eye opener. Adam Smith (the interviewer) is clearly a longstanding and close friend and the empathy between them is transparent. This results in a wonderfully relaxed and engrossing conversation. Bayo’s intelligence, sincerity and incredible articulacy make for a remarkably powerful and moving interview.

• Powerful and humbling message from an impressive and inspirational man.

One day we will look back at the current squad as a very special collection of characters.

• I know someone who did the interview with him for Channel Four News who said there was loads in it that was really inspiring but they were limited by time by how much they could put in the piece they were doing. He is certainly one of a kind, will live.long in the Wycombe memory and I'm so glad Gareth hit him up on WhatsApp !

• I’ve read Bayo’s book and do not recall the ‘hit Bayo on WhatsApp’ reference. Can you elucidate?

• After the AFC Wimbledon win at Wembley, he issued this plea, knowing he didn't have a contract for the next season.
    GA obliged...

And the rest, as they say, is history.

• That was a tremendous interview. The day Bayo moves on from Wycombe will be the day our club loses a little piece of what makes it so special.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    That was a tremendous interview. The day Bayo moves on from Wycombe will be the day our club loses a little piece of what makes it so special.

Maybe he can stay on as a coach or somthing then.

• I am sure he would make a great manager or coach because (like Gaz) players would want to do their best for him.
    If not coaching, I have said time and again that if circumstances and finances allow and in the unlikely event that he does not pursue other opportunities, Bayo would make the perfect ambassador for our club.

• Wycombe's greatest ever signing

• Beg to differ Eric, second best ever signing. Gareth is our best ever signing in my opinion, certainly the best decision Gary Waddock made.

• Extraordinary interview. I am so pleased he plays for us. I am certain that had he not joined us we would not be in the Championship. And I am also certain that had not Gaz been our manager he would not have joined us. Both are huge talents, on and off the field.

In terms of getting the best out of players and creating the best working environment for players and associated staff, there is surely no finer organisation in professional sports.

• @micra said:
    POTD @Manboobs.

Thank you. And hats off to the club for making that interview available.

• I picked it up from the link posted (OP) by @OakwoodExile. I did spot somewhere a link posted by the club but I think it was only 11 minutes. Couldn’t find it through the efl app.

• Oh dear. @micra strikes again. The video posted by @OakwoodExile was indeed posted by the club. I got confused with @Twizz’s link.

• Which was Bayo at Wembley so I’m talking total nonsense. I’ll sign off until lucidity returns. Don’t hold yer breath.

• Lol @micra, but with you and not at you. It's fun to watch your thought processes playing out in real time

• @micra said:
    Which was Bayo at Wembley so I’m talking total nonsense. I’ll sign off until lucidity returns. Don’t hold yer breath.

No wonder you're by far the highest post count geezer on here ;)

• @Thicketblue said:
    I’ve read Bayo’s book and do not recall the ‘hit Bayo on WhatsApp’ reference. Can you elucidate?

Its dead famous @Thicketblue I am surprised you needed elucidation!

• I had completely forgotten. In my defence, it occurred 2.5 years ago, before Bayo joined us.
    Should it qualify as BWK?

• In your defence @Thicketblue it was four and a half years ago.

• @Thicketblue said:
    I had completely forgotten. In my defence, it occurred 2.5 years ago, before Bayo joined us.
    Should it qualify as BWK?

Did you not countless references in sky footage in the build up to Wembley? Or hear bayo reference it in the interview after the Wembley win? Or our Twitter mention it? Or mentions on here?

• It was literally WHY he joined us @Thicketblue

• Or Fred shouting "hit him up on WhatsApp" in Bayo's ear in his interview after our playoff final. Not a dig at you @Thicketblue, I struggle to remember last week.

• edited November 2020

What happened last week? ;-)