Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full lockdown = no football?

Sounds like we're about to go into full lockdown, last time that meant a pause to football. It would be a shame for that to happen now as we have been playing really well in the last few games.

Comments

  • edited October 2020

    Last time all the schools etc shut down, which they won't this time.
    Can't see them shutting pro sport down.Certainly not premier and championship.

  • Like every decision recently it will be cack-handed fudge plan with the added attraction of non-masker libertarians and assorted ****wits not towing the line anyway so I suspect football will continue.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • Efl site says elite football continues

  • Where TV money outweighs the cost of testing and maintaining a bubble, I'm sure football will continue.

  • That does pose problems for the integrity of the FA Cup.

    I think, unfortunately, there is a case to cancel
    Cup competitions this year.

  • @Lloyd2084 said:

    I think, unfortunately, there is a case to cancel
    Cup competitions this year.

    Not until Peterborough have got themselves a nice home tie against Man U or Liverpool though, please. Then call it off.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • I have to admit before the announcement when they wheeled out the usually smug, ERGite Steve 'these measures are oppressive and need to be debated fully' Baker with a face like a mile of bad road to say having seen the figures we have to support the PM, I thought the country must really be ****ed!

  • @Lloyd2084 said:
    That does pose problems for the integrity of the FA Cup.

    I think, unfortunately, there is a case to cancel
    Cup competitions this year.

    You may be right. But when a cup run can mean the difference between shutting for good or playing on for a small club, I hope a way can be found. And the joy that seeing a non-league side turn over Oxford, Peterborough or Sunderland brings would be just the tonic for the nation!

  • @Manboobs said:

    @Lloyd2084 said:
    That does pose problems for the integrity of the FA Cup.

    I think, unfortunately, there is a case to cancel
    Cup competitions this year.

    You may be right. But when a cup run can mean the difference between shutting for good or playing on for a small club, I hope a way can be found. And the joy that seeing a non-league side turn over Oxford, Peterborough or Sunderland brings would be just the tonic for the nation!

    I hope so too.

  • edited November 2020

    The FA Cup is classed as elite - elite football is allowed to continue - even though some of the teams still competing aren't, so hopefully they're able to play under special dispensation.

  • Good that the FA cup can continue, but I do see it as a ticking time bomb before a team ignores the rules to fulfill a club saving fixture and there's a covid outbreak and media frenzy. Already happened with Connahs Quay in the Europa League, but they got away with it, if a non league side pass covid onto a league club I'm sure chairmen would go mad.

  • They might not go mad if they thought it would give people an excuse to shut it all down again @Username . I suspect chairmen with big squads would draw a veil rather than draw too much attention.

  • edited November 2020

    @Wendoverman said:
    They might not go mad if they thought it would give people an excuse to shut it all down again @Username . I suspect chairmen with big squads would draw a veil rather than draw too much attention.

    True, although obviously if key players get ruled out then it's harder to keep it quiet

  • There will be no spectators allowed at even non-elite grounds in Rd1.

    Even before the weekend lockdown announcement at the weekend, it had already been decided that Banbury United versus Canvey Island in FA Cup Rd1 was far too dangerous to allow spectators in even though had the same two teams met in the 4QR then both home and away supporters would have been allowed up to the maximum of 300-600. There's logic there somewhere.

    As it currently stands spectators will be allowed back in to Banbury's next game on Tuesday. That may well change tomorrow.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • So sad for clubs with big matches that would be money spinning in normal times.

  • I do wonder whether this latest lockdown may actually hasten the return of spectators once (if) it ends.

    Not because it would be the right thing to do but they (we all know who) have made such a hash of it all that I can see them looking at anything that can prove to be a distraction.

    (Not that it would last for more than a few weeks)

Sign In or Register to comment.