Skip to content

Daryl Horgan set to sign

Comments

• edited August 2020

'Would you mind if I asked a question as I am baffled why we would need two first team quality left sided attackers'

Would be a great signing and proof for me how highly rated Championship football is by players.

• I'm sure our friend from the West Country will answer your enquiry and relieve you from your "bafflement" @Right_in_the_Middle!

• I personally feel a loan spell would benefit Kashket, he had one good season a few years ago and hasnt done much since, yes I know because of injuries etc hasnt helped, but when he was fully fit last year he didnt feature much so cant see how he will this year, dont get me wrong I'm not writing him off, just feel he would probably benefit from regular games.

• You want to keep Kashket around. He's our best finisher - not just saying that, the shot data backs it up - and can pop up with a goal in an instant, something we might need quite a lot of this season. 4-4-2 won't be our base formation, but it's worked for us when chasing games late on before - two options for a 'little and large' partnership in those situations now with the addition of Ikpeazu.

• Kashket scored some pretty useful goals for us early on last season (off the top of my head: Southend, Rotherham, Blackpool). Obviously his suspension didn't help. He has an eye for goal and is a natural finisher at almost any level.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I personally feel a loan spell would benefit Kashket, he had one good season a few years ago and hasnt done much since, yes I know because of injuries etc hasnt helped, but when he was fully fit last year he didnt feature much so cant see how he will this year, dont get me wrong I'm not writing him off, just feel he would probably benefit from regular games.

Utter madness.

• kashket and Freeman i feel are more suited to the championship over most of our squad, i can see them both really making a difference for us.

• Haha.... had a feeling not many of you would agree ! But I stand by it, just dont see him getting many games, happy to be proved wrong though !

• But @HolmerBlue we dont have enough quality strikers ? so hes bound to get games

• We need to see how things pan out first.

Parker then Kashket are surely the most likely to need a loan to get a run of games.

Unless they can feature in the B team.

• I agree @Wendoverman , we haven’t got enough quality strikers but be prepared to be shot down.

• Starting striker will probably be the most interesting selection quandry.

Uche has come in on a 3 year deal but does Samuel hold the shirt as such?
    Bayo presumably very much the late bench option this season.

• You can get 200-1 on Fred to be top scorer in the Championship this season. Might be worth a couple of quid.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    You can get 200-1 on Fred to be top scorer in the Championship this season. Might be worth a couple of quid.

Hmmm not from his previous goalscoring record in the championship. Do you realise what league we are heading into?

Save your £2 and treat yourself.

• Nice to see the abandon hope crowd getting in some practice. Pre-season for us all i guess.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    You can get 200-1 on Fred to be top scorer in the Championship this season. Might be worth a couple of quid.

Hmmm not from his previous goalscoring record in the championship. Do you realise what league we are heading into?

You're quite a negative fella aren't ya.

• I agree @bigred87 kashket and freeman would suit playing in the championship, but in a championship team, our style of play, long ball, defensive, and relying on set pieces, all bypassing the midfield, id be suprised if Messi would make a difference in our team

• Put your £2.00 on Wycombe to win at Brentford @ 6/1.

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

You're quite a negative fella aren't ya.

No. Just realistic. I would bet everything I have on Fred NOT being top scorer in the Championship. Have you actually seen some of the players in this league?

I'm not digging you out or being negative. I actually think it was a silly comment so I am advising people not to gamble their hard earned cash on Fred being top scorer. You crack on though. I would love nothing more than it to be happen, but he wasn't even our top scorer when we were in league 2....I don't think?

• Here's the thing though @thecatwwfc. We might very well get beaten every week in the Championship, but not so long ago we were getting beaten quite often in L2, and not very long before that we were getting beaten quite often in the Conference.

I don't understand the mindset that points out the (very obvious) size of the challenge ahead of us. Pre-season is for 'silly comments.'

• Well said Floyd

Anyone who isn't looking at the fixture list, noticing that it says "Championship" at the top and then giggling like an idiot is getting it all wrong

• edited August 2020

Hear hear. Also, the lack of expectations from anyone else is liberating - to me, it is more a case of whetting the appetite for giving it a right old go, as I am sure it is for GA and the lads.

I would never underestimate the psychological aspect of the game, and our management team are masters at developing a brilliant, unified mindset among the players. Sheffield United finished top half in the Prem with some players who had been in the third tier. Yes, I am sure they had bought the best possible players even in the third tier, but the fact is, the manager has buy-in and the sky is the limit.

The absolute worst case scenario is that we have a decent L1 squad to stabilize in that division next season, which would be our 4th out of L2 either way.

• I don’t think we will score lots of goals but I think we will set up as ‘hard to beat‘. So maybe not Fred as top scorer in the division...Ivan Toney maybe?...but we will pick up points.

• One of the reasons I like the Ikpeazu signing is that it shows we are doubling down on our current style. We are much more likely to be difficult to beat if we take what we are good at, and add new parts to it, than if we try and play like Brazil, except with not being able to afford the necessary players.

• @johnthehair said:
    Put your £2.00 on Wycombe to win at Brentford @ 6/1.

Love to know where you’re finding odds that big! 9/2 seems the limit...

• @floyd said:
    Here's the thing though @thecatwwfc. We might very well get beaten every week in the Championship, but not so long ago we were getting beaten quite often in L2, and not very long before that we were getting beaten quite often in the Conference.

I don't understand the mindset that points out the (very obvious) size of the challenge ahead of us. Pre-season is for 'silly comments.'

Where did I say that we would get beat every week? I actually think we will stay up. I don't, however, think Fred will be top scorer for us, let alone the championship. Therefore, stupid comment.

• @JohnBoy Bet365 had us at 6/1 last week but down to 17/4 now

• edited September 2020

Depends which team Gaz picks against Brentford. He might rest players for the Rotherham game the week after... I doubt he will as we are on TV and he will want a good showing. My £2 is split between a Wycombe win and a draw after 90 minutes.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@floyd said:
    Here's the thing though @thecatwwfc. We might very well get beaten every week in the Championship, but not so long ago we were getting beaten quite often in L2, and not very long before that we were getting beaten quite often in the Conference.

Where did I say that we would get beat every week? I actually think we will stay up. I don't, however, think Fred will be top scorer for us, let alone the championship. Therefore, stupid comment.

Just try and enjoy it is all.

• @floyd said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@floyd said:

Just try and enjoy it is all.

I am enjoying it. Its nice to dream, but then there is getting carried away.