Skip to content

EFL agree streaming deal with Sky Sports

13»

Comments

• I would expect the club to have stopped selling season tickets when they reached the figure of ? 2448, based on indications that maybe 25% of capacity would be allowed in at some stage, presumably October. But I don’t know for sure.

• @Malone said:
    Just a question of is it too tight to get refunds and buy your own pass to save £12.

I was thinking more of a family of 4 so maybe £60/match on season tickets vs 1 iFollow pass of £10 and watch it together.

• I think the club need my money and so I'm not worried about paying for my season ticket and having to ifollow for a while...but I suppose that's because I only shelled out for me. I don't use ifollow either @micra...i'm assuming we will get some sort of code or pass to let us enjoy the delights for nowt.

• These clubs don't use ifollow, so I assume that there's no chance to watch the away games?

AFC Bournemouth, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Forest Green Rovers, Harrogate Town, Leyton Orient, Middlesbrough, QPR, Salford City, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Watford and Wigan Athletic.

Not that we will play them all anyway.

• Well that's a bit of a blow.
    8 in our league?

At least some games like Mboro are very late on so are likely to properly have fans.

Hopefully they still get shown live. There would be goal alerts on sky as a minumum.

• I think it’s 10 @Malone.

• Right you are chief. Totally glazed over a couple.
    Having presumed every game would be viewable for the foreseeable, itd be quite annoying to find that isn't the case

• What i don't get, is if teams can just opt out of ifollow, what was that rant from the Accy owner about a year or so back?

Moaning away fans would watch on i follow instead of bothering to go.

Why not just switch I follow off then?!

• I think some clubs just choose to have their own streaming service rather than the ifollow version? So perhaps we’ll be able to use that

• @Malone said:
    What i don't get, is if teams can just opt out of ifollow, what was that rant from the Accy owner about a year or so back?

The owner of Accrington Stanley is well known for rants that aren’t always well researched, somewhat like our friend at Peterborough.

• @Glenactico said:
    I think some clubs just choose to have their own streaming service rather than the ifollow version? So perhaps we’ll be able to use that

Watford have their own, but wouldn't we just watch away games on Wycombe iFollow like normal?

• Checked with the club and we'll be able to watch away games regardless of what service the home club uses - Accy weren't on iFollow to begin with and our games there were still available.

• That's good news.

So may be Accy boy's rant was acceptable after all.

I'm thinking back to Charlton away that wasn't available on ifollow a year or two back. Think it was an international break so could have been allowed, but they didn't allow it for some reason?

• @Malone Were 3pm kick-offs allowed to stream even in international breaks?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone Were 3pm kick-offs allowed to stream even in international breaks?

They changed their rules i think.

I think i went to Charlton anyway, but i think that was a game it seemed they could have shown but didn't.

• Fair enough. I think given the current need to stream, all clubs will do it.

• I definitely watched a Charlton v Wycombe game on iPlayer on a Saturday afternoon

• I remember Randell Williams scoring early on at the Valley two seasons ago and, overall, we more than matched them. An og by Sido knocked the stuffing out of us I think and Lyle Taylor was a constant threat. I think it was 3-2 to Charlton in the end but even my Charlton friends thought we were unlucky to lose.

I watched the game on iFollow.

• Interestingly that game saw a record number of people sat on their own in the home end, strange but true as they say.

• @Malone said:
    What i don't get, is if teams can just opt out of ifollow, what was that rant from the Accy owner about a year or so back?

As far as I remember it, EFL clubs were coerced into a contract with what is now EFL Digital (which is why we all have to use the same, dreadful official site template), most of those that don't have iFollow now weren't in the EFL at the point that happened.

• @drcongo said:
    As far as I remember it, EFL clubs were coerced into a contract with what is now EFL Digital (which is why we all have to use the same, dreadful official site template), most of those that don't have iFollow now weren't in the EFL at the point that happened.

The list of clubs not using iFollow earlier in this thread is 17. Surely they could not all have been outside the EFL at the same time? 3 in the Premier League and maybe Salford not yet in the EFL.

• If they weren't in the EFL at either inception or a contract renewal point, they can opt out. I think that covers all of these except maybe Bristol City...

AFC Bournemouth
    Birmingham City
    Bristol City
    Cardiff City
    Charlton Athletic
    Derby County
    Middlesbrough
    QPR
    Stoke City
    Sunderland
    Swansea City
    Watford
    Wigan Athletic.

Forest Green Rovers
    Harrogate Town
    Leyton Orient
    Salford City

• Incidentally, this contract is the reason that most conference teams have better club websites than league teams.

• @drcongo said:
    If they weren't in the EFL at either inception or a contract renewal point, they can opt out. I think that covers all of these except maybe Bristol City...

>

Makes sense now - thanks for the clarification

• I could be totally wrong btw, but I think that's how it works. Still wondering about Bristol City though.

• Easy to slate Accy but even if it wasn't compulsory they probably wouldn't have had the numbers and interest levels or the funding to go it alone with their own platform and turn down the EFL payment however meagre.

Odd to lump them in with posh as his rants are at least in the direction of self sufficiency and sharing of resources and decisions rather than Darraghs insights that laughanly suggest the struggles of running a hard done by giant that simply can't compete with all the clubs around him who have less money.

• I was comparing their frequent and often ill advised outbursts on a variety of topics rather than on the specific circumstances of their own clubs.