Skip to content

Giles Philips signs permanently

2»

Comments

• He certainly did but across his career he’s had a few knocks. Charles has too. There’s no way we can go into next season without a third centre half given that it’s going to be wall to wall matches for 8 months.

• @micra said:
    We do have Fred.

Yes Fred will be fantastic in the championship. However I will say that I’m pessimistic about how Wheeler will perform in the championship. Personally I would rather have a winger that’s proven at that level with Wheeler serving as back up winger.

• Why's he called tools?

• @DPR38 said:

@micra said:
    We do have Fred.

Yes Fred will be fantastic in the championship. However I will say that I’m pessimistic about how Wheeler will perform in the championship. Personally I would rather have a winger that’s proven at that level with Wheeler serving as back up winger.

Have to disagree. Wheeler is an excellent player, great in the air, technically accomplished, extremely hard working and capable of playing in several positions. I think he’ll be one of our most important players.

• @glasshalffull said:

@DPR38 said:

@micra said:
    We do have Fred.

Have to disagree. Wheeler is an excellent player, great in the air, technically accomplished, extremely hard working and capable of playing in several positions. I think he’ll be one of our most important players.

I don’t disagree with the fact that he is a good player and puts in a shift, I just think if we would like to do our best to stay in the championship that will require goals, something which we aren’t exactly known for. Personally I don’t see Wheeler being the one to score the goals we need to do that. If we had another winger that can find the back of the net comfortably like Fred it would certainly help.

• @woodlands said:
    Why's he called tools?

If I remember correctly, it stems from the academy days when he'd always be the one hammering in the posts for the rope along the side of the pitch that parents would stand behind. He explained it an interview a while back - it's probably on YouTube.

• I was surprised leafing through the new book how many games Phillips had actually played. Far more than I recall. I also think Wheeler will be great in the Championship.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I was surprised leafing through the new book how many games Phillips had actually played. Far more than I recall. I also think Wheeler will be great in the Championship.

I think someone very balanced (so can't have been on fb, or from most on here ;) ) said the last couple of games Phillips played has left a bit of a harsh stink on his time here.

The Sunderland pounding, at right back was it? And the game he got sent off early.

Without those two catastrophic games, we'd probably all be thinking more along the lines of decent solid youngster.

• Yarp. In the same way Rocky had a decent number of clean sheets and played a blinder in the play-off games but we worry about him not being good enough! Who would be a defender or a goalie?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Yarp. In the same way Rocky had a decent number of clean sheets and played a blinder in the play-off games but we worry about him not being good enough! Who would be a defender or a goalie?

Can I take one for the negative nelly gang and point out that even in these games he gave a pen away, and let a cross in!

• To be fair, the penalty was unfair, and a friend who played goalkeeper insists he was positioned properly for that cross, but it just fluked into the tiniest possible window.

• edited August 2020

Just realized I said "to be fair, the penalty was unfair." Not the greatest sentence!

• Ah come on @Malone. Hardly fair, the cross that he let in was a mis-kick and the penalty was a joke of a decision. The forward practically threw himself into the keeper & put his left leg out in to Rocky. IF the game had finished 1 all, we would all be complaining to this day about the decision. As it was 4-1 masked over it.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@woodlands said:
    Why's he called tools?

If I remember correctly, it stems from the academy days when he'd always be the one hammering in the posts for the rope along the side of the pitch that parents would stand behind. He explained it an interview a while back - it's probably on YouTube.

My understand is as a young player whenever anyone needed a screwdriver, hammer, whatever, Tools would produce one from the boot of his car. A diy enthusiast or all part of growing up on a tough south London estate I’m not sure?

• Alright alright, i did say I was trying to provide some balance for the negative cru :)

• And imagine if it had been Philips and not tools handballing in the area and it jad been penalised! Wycombe career over. Joking aside gaz must rate him. I doubt they will risk wages on too many people they dont think can cut it up there!