Skip to content

Tallest ever centre forward at WWFC

2»

Comments

• I thought Luke Oliver was an incredibly committed Centre back who worked really hard for the team. And Peter Taylor got us promoted!

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I thought Luke Oliver was an incredibly committed Centre back who worked really hard for the team. And Peter Taylor got us promoted!

Never heard of a centre back being described as hard working.

But you are right on Taylor of course. One of the small handful of managers we've had to do so.

Some of that football was dreadful though wasn't it. And that defeat to seal promotion sucked all manner of pleasure from the day.

• John williams was quite tall wasn't he? Taller than me anyway...

• I always got the impression that Beckenbauer was a hardworking central defender @Malone, but that was some time ago so my memory may be failing me. Stewart puts in quite a shift each game.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    I thought Luke Oliver was an incredibly committed Centre back who worked really hard for the team. And Peter Taylor got us promoted!

Oliver wasn't the best but he had some promise. It was unlucky he was partnered with Michael Duberry who seemed to get picked despite an almost season long loss of form or he might have pushed on.

• edited August 2020

@eric_plant said:
    Jason, I think

Jason Mooney, who is apparently 6 ft 8.5 in tall, according to wikipedia

• Jason Mooney, that’s the guy. Pulled a good pint of Guinness (as an Irishman should) but played even fewer games per season than Stephen Henderson.

• To be fair to Oliver he went on to Bradford playing a league above us, so managers saw something in him.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    To be fair to Oliver he went on to Bradford playing a league above us, so managers saw something in him.

I think it was the same manager wasn't it? (PT?)

• @perfidious_albion said:
    To be fair to Oliver he went on to Bradford playing a league above us, so managers saw something in him.

This is a real stretch to word it like this.

Firstly it was Peter Taylor who took him to Bradford.

The two seasons he was a regular, they finished 18th in league 2.
    The season they went up in the playoffs he was a bit part player

The season they were in league 1, he played 4 games!

• @Malone said:

@Forest_Blue said:

Never heard of a centre back being described as hard working.

You may be right but our centre backs this (last?) season have gone way beyond the job description

• In 2012 at Bradford, Luke Oliver was voted fans player of the season, players player of the season and won four other awards at the end of season awards night. He was a decent player.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    In 2012 at Bradford, Luke Oliver was voted fans player of the season, players player of the season and won four other awards at the end of season awards night. He was a decent player.

I'm assuming that's the year they nearly went out the league? Oliver wasn't up to football league standard

• Without going full Roy Keane I think the point is that defenders are expected to work hard and stay focused, it's an odd thing to call out however true it is. Unfair perhaps. A winger or striker who tracks back and is up and down the pitch might be a rarer thing, although not under our management.

• In my head John Williams was very tall but according to Wikipedia he is only 6’ 1”. I think perhaps the reason I thought he was taller is because I spent so much time complaining that a man (who appeared to be) so tall couldn’t ever win a single header.

• He was quick though wasn't he? Won the team 100 metres or something. He used to lodge with a mate of mine back in the day. Seemed taller to me....but so do most folks really.

• The Flying Postman

Yes, he won the football league Coca Cola sprint challenge

• It was strange, as on the pitch De Souza seemed far quicker than William's.

• Probably down to the acceleration v top speed difference.

You often see premier league stats on top speeds and see a name you don't associate as being necessarily at the top of the speedsters lists.
    It's that acceleration that's so important.
    That and being able to do it again and again.

Williams probably had the best top speed, but as a 1 or 2 off.
    Not relentlessly chasing aimless punts in Smithball.

• We've had some quick oldies in recent years.

I'm thinking Garry Thompson and Nathan Tyson. Both rapid, despite being in the latter stages of their careers

Gaz was the same when he played for us. O gather he's still pretty quick even now

• Tys reckoned he was faster 2nd time round as he knew what he was doing, probably not over the course of a full season though