Skip to content

First new signing

124»

Comments

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@glasshalffull said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if we moved to a 4-5-1 formation for some games next season. We have to accept that our opponents in the Championship are likely to have more possession than us, so clogging up midfield and making us difficult to break down seems a sensible tactic. Every point gained will be precious.

Was only suggesting that this morning to a mate of mine. 4-5-1 is the only way we can compete against most teams in the championship with lightening quick counter attacking football. This could be a good opportunity for the likes of Scotty Kashket to stake his place.

Surely he has very little chance of ever being the "1" in that formation.
    Not sure he's ever played that for us to date.

His best chance is if we're going all out for a goal and we end up with 2 up front.

• Could Wheeler be the CAM?

No

• edited August 2020

@thedieharder said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle Kind of. The thing is, ordinarily in a 4-2-3-1 you've all of the '3' feeding the striker/getting in on the attack themselves - Spurs have Moura, Lo Celso and Son behind Kane.

Because we don't really make use of a 10 in the traditional, creative sense (Blooms performs a destroyer role instead) unless Freeman plays, our wingers would have to get up and down a lot to a) defend as they already do and b) support and create for the striker. You want that striker to be reasonably mobile - this formation wouldn't work with Bayo - but you also can't leave them completely isolated to do it all by themselves.

I think 4-2-3-1 would work for us because our wingers are exceptionally hard-working, but you'd need a ball player alongside Gape - he'd be the midfield anchor.

Could Wheeler be the CAM?

Given how well he played in that kind of role a couple of times last season, quite possibly, but we don't want to break that partnership with Jack Grimmer if we can avoid it - those two are so in sync.

• CAM? Perhaps I’ve not been paying enough attention (or just got bored with all the numerical permutations).

When we’ve signed a dozen players, I’ll probably chip in! So far, the only formation I could see being feasible (as a means of damage limitation) is 4-5-1 (with Ouch the 1) but he’s not signed yet. In any case, in the course of a game 451 can become 433,4231,541or even 352.

Who’d be a manager?

• @micra CAM = central attacking midfielder. Just to make things more confusing, some people also call it an AMC - I suspect because of the Football Manager games.

• Now, take this as you want - it could be a "Cressex petrol station" rumour or I have mistaken an identity, or is there something in it?

But...I had dinner in GX last night, and was sat next to a what looked like a business meeting between Michael O'Neill and A.N.other.

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@glasshalffull said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if we moved to a 4-5-1 formation for some games next season. We have to accept that our opponents in the Championship are likely to have more possession than us, so clogging up midfield and making us difficult to break down seems a sensible tactic. Every point gained will be precious.

Was only suggesting that this morning to a mate of mine. 4-5-1 is the only way we can compete against most teams in the championship with lightening quick counter attacking football. This could be a good opportunity for the likes of Scotty Kashket to stake his place.

Surely he has very little chance of ever being the "1" in that formation.
    Not sure he's ever played that for us to date.

His best chance is if we're going all out for a goal and we end up with 2 up front.

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I was thinking that Scotty would be a part of the middle 5, the 1 being either Bayos or the new lad if he signs.

• edited August 2020

I know I've not been here as long as he has but twp promotions later as far as the team and the Gasroom goes, win, lose or draw we have been a big disappointment in every department for @trevor for as long as I can recall.