Skip to content

Salary Cap - Leagues 1 & 2

2»

Comments

• @Glenactico said:
    It is pleasing that the football authorities are prepared to take concrete action in an effort to promote sustainability. But I’ll reserve judgement on the salary cap.

If the governing body in my industry imposed a wage cap tomorrow I’d support legal action against it. I suspect footballers will do the same and I don’t blame them.

Many clubs certainly spend way beyond their means, in some cases threatening the sustainability and stability of the league. But I’m not convinced a wage cap like this is the best way to get things under control.

An individual wage cap would be impossible. That ship sailed with Jimmy Hill however many years back. Obviously it's gone way too far in the opposite direction now though.

But a collective wage cap, completely different proposition. We'll see how it pans out though!
    Imagine if they tried to put one in for premier league teams though.

• @mooneyman said:
    Clubs will end up appointing a clever and devious person to find loopholes in the new rules and ways of bending them.

Yeah low weekly wage topped up with massive bonus' cash in hand

• I'd recommend reading Martin Calladine's book 'The Ugly Game'. It's a look at what football can learn from the NFL and covers things like the salary cap. Despite being this huge commercial beast, the NFL is remarkbaly fair - benefits from being a closed shop, but there are elements that should definitely be at least tried over here.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I'd recommend reading Martin Calladine's book 'The Ugly Game'. It's a look at what football can learn from the NFL and covers things like the salary cap. Despite being this huge commercial beast, the NFL is remarkbaly fair - benefits from being a closed shop, but there are elements that should definitely be at least tried over here.

What would you suggest trying?

For me the lack of promotion and relegation means every team starts the next season back level on the NFL whereas as here it quite clearly doesn't. That fear and carrot leads to the overspend.
    I can't think of anything the NFL does well that would work here but I haven't read the book.
    Would a draft system from the youth system at aged 20 say work?

• Salary cap with the money for salaries looked after by the league and a system whereby bad owners can effectively be voted out before they have the chance to run the club into the ground. I'd also say no prize money for winning the top competitions (there is none for winning the Super Bowl), but that's just an absolute non-starter.

I can't remember who it was that proposed a draft of L1 and L2 clubs for PL loanees, but that's about as close as you'd ever get - and I personally thought that was a rubbish idea.

Salary cap with the money for salaries looked after by the league and a system whereby bad owners can effectively be voted out before they have the chance to run the club into the ground. I'd also say no prize money for winning the top competitions (there is none for winning the Super Bowl), but that's just an absolute non-starter.

I can't remember who it was that proposed a draft of L1 and L2 clubs for PL loanees, but that's about as close as you'd ever get - and I personally thought that was a rubbish idea.

I'm always intrigued how the draft system works. Vaguely get the idea of crappest team from the previous year gets to pick first, but unless you've watched every single available player, how do you judge? Unless there's some sort of list drawn up by a board?

Or maybe stats are more important, bearing in mind most US sports are "i got bored, noone had scored for 20seconds"

• It's very analytics-heavy. Also, seven picks is the standard amount - can be more or fewer depending on trades etc. - so you look at the positions you need to upgrade/add to and scout those players most thoroughly. So it's not like teams are having to look at literally every single player in depth.

Salary cap with the money for salaries looked after by the league and a system whereby bad owners can effectively be voted out before they have the chance to run the club into the ground. I'd also say no prize money for winning the top competitions (there is none for winning the Super Bowl), but that's just an absolute non-starter.

The thing that amazes me in the NFL is that every player gets paid the same in the playoffs including the SuperBowl. Individual player contracts only count in the regular season.
    I don't see how a salary cap works with relegation and parachute payments.

Always been a bit bitter that prize money came in to the FA Cup just after our semi final run. League placing prizes seem odd to me too.

• So much of the NFL is dependent on teams being franchises with a share of the whole, rather than independent businesses.

• It all went pear shaped when they stopped paying players £20 a week in Summer and a tenner in Winter...