Skip to content

Should Sunderland change their approach?

2»

Comments

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Jonny_King said:
    It seems the way teams are judged for successfuly employing such tactics very much depends on what level they do it at. Premier League? Astute genius of a manager. League One? Crap hoofball pub team.

You say that, but Rotherham are just as 'hoofy' as us and don't attract any snobbery. Their own manager was even turning his nose up at our approach in the second leg of the semis.

And did rather well out of PPG ...

Yep, Rotherham must have thanked their lucky stars about our whole 8th to 3rd business, as it almost totally took the heat off them. They were never coming top 2 and everyone knew it.

Well no. Nobody actually knew it. They might or might not in the same way we may have got automatic promotion or we may have finished 12th. Nobody will actually ever know in this version of reality. As it was, in the generally accepted fairest way of sorting an unsatisfactory situation Rotherham deserved to finish second and we deserved to finish third.

(But as I work with a few Rotherham fans up here I should balance that by them agreeing that the timing of it all was to their advantage...)

• Good points @bookertease. I would also venture that we have now proved our worthiness more than anyone bar possibly Coventry, as we had to win a tournament of form teams to go up. It does not remove the argument some fans had over whether the season should have been voided, or what form of PPG/playoffs should have taken place, but it at least establishes we deserve to go up more than Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Oxford.

• ‘For me’ was pioneered by Andy Townsend in his ‘tactics truck’. Relentless.
    Another is Jonathan Pearce’s ‘He has to score from there’. In Jonathan’s world, every game should be 5-5 minimum.
    And don’t forget ‘There was contact’ to justify any penalty shout.

• @Shev said:
    Good points @bookertease. I would also venture that we have now proved our worthiness more than anyone bar possibly Coventry, as we had to win a tournament of form teams to go up. It does not remove the argument some fans had over whether the season should have been voided, or what form of PPG/playoffs should have taken place, but it at least establishes we deserve to go up more than Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Oxford.

The repeated comments that the "season should have been voided", I will always counter with the reality being that there could have been no promotion or relegation then. There is no solution to that, as you can't have the two top leagues carrying on as there would be no point & we all know that the TV boys would have been knocking on the door for their money back. That was a scenario that was never going to happen.

• @eric_plant said:
    My least favourite thing any of them say is "by the letter of the law....." and then say something that is mentioned nowhere in the laws of the game

eg "he's raised his hands and by the letter of the law that's a red card"

This.

• @arnos_grove said:
    ‘For me’ was pioneered by Andy Townsend in his ‘tactics truck’. Relentless.
    Another is Jonathan Pearce’s ‘He has to score from there’. In Jonathan’s world, every game should be 5-5 minimum.
    And don’t forget ‘There was contact’ to justify any penalty shout.

'For me, he should be hitting the target'.

Like, oh thanks I'm glad there was an ex professional footballer nearby to let us know that shot should ideally have been on target. Cutting insight.

Also I genuinely heard Graeme Souness say that somebody (possibly Villa) 'don't need systems, they need goals' the other day. The implication being that only teams that score lots of goals should waste time trying to play in a formation?

• "you can't win the tie after the first leg but you can certainly lose it"

Makes no sense whatsoever

• @eric_plant that’s often used in a golfing context, where it makes much more sense.

• @LeedsBlue Disappointing. I thought you were better than that.

• Pundit on the Brighton game last night came out with the king of all stupid pundit comments - "if anything, he's hit that too perfectly" when someone missed their shot.

• "officials need to use their common sense"

"all we're asking for is a bit of consistency"

• Close up of distraught player after missing a sitter. 'He'll be very disappointed with that...'

• Especially for @micra - all those plonkers who answer a question with a response beginning with the word "so". Aaarrghhh!

• "Aw look, ...". I blame Australian cricketers for that one (as well as for the 1990s' summers (not mention nocturnal winters) being often miserable).

• Has anyone read Adam Hurrey's Football Clichés? Brilliant take on all this kind of stuff.

• His is one of the few must follow football twitter accounts.